Author Topic: End of Life Care  (Read 71 times)

Offline dolores

• Korporal
End of Life Care
« on: April 15, 2019, 10:30:02 AM »
An elderly gentleman I know recently died, and I got me thinking about exactly what care should be given/requested at the end of one's life.

In this case, the gentleman in question was in his 90s, and had suffered a heart attack.  He was taken the hospital and stabilized.  However, because of his age and general health, there was very little that could be done, and he was sent home, and was expected to live only a few days or weeks.

The first few days that he was at home, he was weak, but otherwise his normal self.  He talked with people, ate, drank, etc.  As the days went on, however, hot got weaker and weaker, and eventually he stopped eating.  He then was unable to drink, and died a few hours later.

I have sometimes read on Catholic message boards that extraordinary medical intervention is not required to keep someone alive when it is essentially hopeless, but that food, water, and air should be administered.  In this case, the gentleman was essentially too weak to eat, and in the last few hours, too weak to drink.  Should a feeding/hydration tube have been introduced?  Given that he was clearly dying, it seems to me that this is unnecessary, but I am aware of other Trads who insist on food and water tubes being put in place, if only to extend life by a few hours.

Offline Maximilian

• Feldwebel
Re: End of Life Care
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 02:23:02 PM »

The first few days that he was at home, he was weak, but otherwise his normal self.  He talked with people, ate, drank, etc.  As the days went on, however, hot got weaker and weaker, and eventually he stopped eating.  He then was unable to drink, and died a few hours later.

Sounds perfect. And very traditional.

I am aware of other Trads who insist on food and water tubes being put in place, if only to extend life by a few hours.

I think this is not a "Trad" issue, but rather it's a Pro-Life issue about fighting euthanasia. Sometimes in order to make sure one is not participating in a mercy killing, some might go too far in not permitting life to reach its natural end.

The following users thanked this post: moneil, Padraig, Traditionallyruralmom, Josephine87