Author Topic: Bringing home the bacon  (Read 1364 times)

Offline Obrien

• Mary Garden
  • Korporal
Bringing home the bacon
« on: April 04, 2019, 02:50:28 AM »
Do you supplement your income? If so, please share your ideas.

The following users thanked this post: Xavier

Offline Davis Blank - EG

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Wachtmeister
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
Re: Bringing home the bacon
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 07:48:59 AM »
I do not have any experience with them, but there are a variety of websites where you can tutor English 1-on-1 with foreigners.  There is great demand from China to learn English.

Offline Lynne

• Thankful to be Catholic!
  • Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Catholic
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 12:18:46 PM »
I do not have any experience with them, but there are a variety of websites where you can tutor English 1-on-1 with foreigners.  There is great demand from China to learn English.

That was posted here before. Do a search, Obrien, or if I find the link, I'll post it...
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael’s Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

“My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you’re supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen.”

Online Heinrich

• Steig mal auf den Berg hinauf
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Gott, wende Dich zu uns und gib uns neues Leben
  • Religion: römisch-katholisch
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 12:25:21 PM »
I deliver pizzas 1,2 nights a week. I am also a partner contributor on Quora, but I am in time out for violating PC policy.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Offline Xavier

• Eternal Father, through Mary's Immaculate Heart, We Offer You the Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity of Your Dearly Beloved Son, Our Lord Jesus Christ in Atonement for our sins and those of the Whole World.
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Slave of the Risen Jesus in the Holy Sacrifice.
    • Marian Apostolate Life Offering.
  • Religion: St. Thomas' Indian Traditional Roman Catholic.
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 09:37:20 AM »
Working in Investments and Consulting after doing an MBA in Finance, (mostly 9-5 or more) I didn't look for additional income, as it was sufficient (and also I wouldn't have been able to do one more job). But I've heard there are many ways to make money online these days, right from home (some companies hire only for that), if anyone's interested in that.

Hope you find this useful, Obrien: https://www.bankrate.com/finance/personal-finance/10-best-and-real-work-at-home-jobs-1.aspx

Also Flexjobs: https://www.flexjobs.com/telecommute/employers I guess this one is a 100% remote site, as it says.
To understand God's Plan for Humanity, and how He has provided the means by which we can minimize the Coming Great Tribulation, read: https://maryrefugeofholylove.com/

Offer your Life to Jesus and Mary: TEXT OF THE LIFE OFFERING, adapted: Dear Lord Jesus, before the Holy Trinity, Our Heavenly Mother, and the whole Heavenly Court, united with Your most Precious Blood and Your Sacrifice on Calvary, We hereby Offer our whole Lives to the Intention of Your Sacred Heart and to the Immaculate Heart of Mary. Together with our life, we place at Your disposal all Holy Masses, all our Holy Communions, all Rosaries, all acts of consecration, all our good deeds, all our sacrifices, and the suffering of our entire life for the Adoration and Supplication of the Holy Trinity, for Unity in our Holy Mother Church, for the Holy Father, Pope Francis the First; and for His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI. For His Eminence Patriarch Kirill of Moscow, His Excellency Metropolitan Hilarion, as well as His Eminence Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople, that they may re-unite their flocks with the Roman Catholic Church, and there may soon be but One Fold and One Shepherd. For all the 220+ Cardinals of the Holy Roman Church, for all 6000+ Bishops of the Universal Church that they may be true Apostles and Shepherds; and for the 400,000+ Priests, the 700,000+ Nuns, 50,000+ Monks, 100,000+ seminarians, that they may all become the Saints the Divine Will wishes them to be; for all the 1.35 Billion Members of the Church, the Millions of Catholic Catechumens and Children to be born and baptized in this Decade; we pray for good Priestly and Religious Vocations, for All Lay Apostolates, and All Souls until the end of the world. O my Jesus, please accept our life Sacrifice and our offerings and give us Your grace that we may all persevere obediently until death. Amen." https://marianapostolate.com/life-offering/

"Mother of God, Co-Redemptrix of the world, pray for us" [Promise: 1000 Souls from Purgatory]"This short prayer, this insistent prayer, every time it is said, sets free from Purgatory 1000 Souls, who reach the Eternal Joy, the Eternal Light"(!). http://www.jesusmariasite.org/jesus-pray-my-children-that-the-fifth-marian-dogma-be-proclaimed/

The following users thanked this post: Heinrich

Offline Davis Blank - EG

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Wachtmeister
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2019, 10:48:05 AM »
If you live anywhere that tourists visit then you can consider being a private car driver for tours. There are websites that handle this and hire drivers for regular tours.  People from overseas are happy to pay a couple hundred USD to be driven around all day to see 5-6 sites in one easy trip.  Of course helps to speak a foreign language but usually not mandatory.

The following users thanked this post: Heinrich

Offline The Curt Jester

• Water-drinker at the Coffee Social
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Wachtmeister
  • Religion: Neo-Pelagian Angry Traditionalist with Narcissistic Tendencies
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2019, 10:20:33 PM »
Piano lessons
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

The following users thanked this post: Chestertonian

Online Heinrich

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Offline Chestertonian

• The Stephen Hawking of SD
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Major
  • Eternal Gadfly
  • Religion: Catholic
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2019, 10:52:56 PM »
Freelance proofreading
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Online Heinrich

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2019, 11:34:29 PM »
If you live anywhere that tourists visit then you can consider being a private car driver for tours. There are websites that handle this and hire drivers for regular tours.  People from overseas are happy to pay a couple hundred USD to be driven around all day to see 5-6 sites in one easy trip.  Of course helps to speak a foreign language but usually not mandatory.

This is awesome. You have name of a www?

Offline Davis Blank - EG

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Wachtmeister
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2019, 08:33:11 AM »

This is awesome. You have name of a www?

Not anything perfectly specific for your situation, but here are some things that may work.

https://gopackup.com/guides/recruit
My wife is Chinese and her family visited America several times and hired private drivers through this company.  They did this in California and NY / New England.  I think you kinda tell the driver how many hours or days, which locations, and a few suggestions.  The driver then creates an itinerary and you add / remove sites before settling on a final schedule.

https://www.kkday.com/en/product/5201 
This is a tour company that operates around the world and in some locations offers private car charter services.  You can see this one as an example.  They offer tours for sale in America (https://www.kkday.com/en/product/productlist/A05-001?countryname=United%20States) and you could always contact them and see if you can startup something in your specific region.

https://www.klook.com/activity/8325-private-sightseeing-car-charter-for-central-taiwan-taichung/
Same thing as above, here is a car service for Taiwan, for example.  They offer tours in America, maybe can offer to do private charter in your area and see if they can sell it.

Here is a Chinese specific one selling private car trips in America.  All drivers speak Chinese, but just showing you it so you can see that there is a market for it.  https://www.lulutrip.com/private/bus/region-NA  (can use Google translate if you want)

Here is some private charter service in Denver  http://yourprivatedriverdenver.com/

I had family members visit here in Hong Kong and they hired a local to drive them around for the day as well.  I think while its a new-ish industry, it seems to be one that is quite popular with tourists whom are aware of it.  Also foreign tourists go to many more places in America than it may seem likely that they'd go.  For example, I grew up in Tampa and there were many rich Saudi women shopping in the malls, Brazilians visiting Busch Gardens, and last time I went (2012) there were tour groups of mainland Chinese at the aquarium (I couldn't believe it!).

Edit:

Here are a couple others:

https://www.usitrip.com/private_group/?gclid=CjwKCAjwv6blBRBzEiwAihbM-QBfMOAbkBZ6W2SqE_zZ_QO7K4SDPZcoiEa0aWTqIsuEkCrrc_8vURoCyFkQAvD_BwE

This site is for Chinese and this particular section of the site is for private tours with private drivers.

Another of the same thing.

https://cn.toursforfun.com/affordable-luxury-travel-private-america/?regorigin=channel&utm_source=google_sj&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=utm_term=mgtysj_sijiatuanhuodong&gclid=CjwKCAjwv6blBRBzEiwAihbM-WuQcppXTZsOycnFM7FBdBTYRRMopP-Y52Lc1KvtXrqLiglB9iIkXRoCMKIQAvD_BwE
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 09:26:40 AM by Davis Blank - EG »

The following users thanked this post: Heinrich, Xavier

Online Heinrich

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2019, 04:04:53 PM »
I will take a look at these this week. Thanks!

Btw, you in Denver?

Offline Davis Blank - EG

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Wachtmeister
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2019, 11:16:34 PM »
No, Hong Kong.

I suspect the Heinrich travel itinerary will begin as such:

6:30am Pickup, question clients how much they lift.
6:45am Take clients to gym, hit the weights for an hour.

The following users thanked this post: MilesChristi, Lynne

Online Heinrich

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2019, 12:31:56 PM »
No, Hong Kong.

I suspect the Heinrich travel itinerary will begin as such:

6:30am Pickup, question clients how much they lift.
6:45am Take clients to gym, hit the weights for an hour.

Yeah. Gym's in my garage.