Author Topic: Convince me to replace my 2012 laptop - or not!  (Read 302 times)

Offline The Harlequin King

• Feldwebel
    • Modern Medievalism
Re: Convince me to replace my 2012 laptop - or not!
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2019, 11:23:02 AM »
Now for some more decisions (trouble and/or fun): I'm considering getting a desktop (maybe an all-in-one) instead.  The only real reason for this is the bigger monitor; my eyes would really appreciate it, and I hear someone oohing and aahing (and I've done that too) about theirs.

This is my recommendation. I still stubbornly adhere to the desktop PC model. My tower is custom-built for gaming, but even for casual use, I believe an external keyboard, mouse, and monitor on a desk (preferably with some kind of ergonomic chair) are significantly more comfortable to use than a laptop.

With a budget tower, you might have money left over to invest on a quality monitor. The easiest on the eyes would, I think, be one in the range of 27" to 32" in size, with a 1440p or 4k resolution and a 144Hz refresh rate. These kinds of monitors are not necessarily so expensive anymore.

The following users thanked this post: Gardener

Offline Gardener

• Drink the poison yourself.
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Catholic
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2019, 04:22:28 PM »
I've attached a screenshot from OneDrive Word doc editor.

This was from a laptop running Linux Lint Cinnamon.

HA! Mint, I meant Mint.
Lent: Only on Sundays.

"And what use are the victories on the battlefield if we are ourselves are defeated in our innermost personal selves?" - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Providence is a present mystery by which our hope is confirmed and our faith solidified, if we give not into despair or disbelief.

Offline Non Nobis

• Why are you fearful?
  • Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2019, 06:35:54 PM »
I've attached a screenshot from OneDrive Word doc editor.

This was from a laptop running Linux Lint Cinnamon.

HA! Mint, I meant Mint.

:D
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Offline Non Nobis

• Why are you fearful?
  • Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2019, 07:19:51 PM »
FWIW

Right now I am not using my laptop keyboard, but rather it is slipped at an angle into a laptop stand (once a docking station) which makes the keyboard unusable but holds the monitor much higher than it would be if the laptop was flat on the desk. I have an external (wired) keyboard which does lay flat.  I would probably continue with this setup if I just get a laptop, but obviously not with an external monitor or all-in-one. I'm not sure if I really prefer this higher monitor position or I'm just used to it. I have bi-focal glasses now and lower might be better.
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Offline Bernadette

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2019, 03:00:05 PM »

My suggestion would be to make sure you back up any data you don't want to lose, think you *probably* don't want to lose, etc. You should be doing this anyway!

I just moved over all of my files onto my new computer using a 4GB thumbdrive. It was like filling a bathtub with a measuring cup, but it was the only option that didn't involve buying more stuff.