Author Topic: Any Joshua Bell fans?  (Read 135 times)

Offline Philip G.

• Korporal
  • Ordinaria Cultus
  • Religion: Catholic
Any Joshua Bell fans?
« on: February 10, 2019, 12:05:31 AM »
This past Thursday I saw Joshua Bell(violin) and Sam Haywood(piano) perform a concert in California.  It was really an amazing experience.  If you do not know, Joshua Bell a top violinist who plays the famous multi million dollar Huberman "stolen" Stradivarius violin.  And, it sounded amazing.  The violin really sounded rich.  They played Beethoven Violin Sonata no.4 in A minor Op. 23, Prokofiev Violin Sonata No. 2 in D major Op. 94a, Grieg Violin Sonata no.2 in G major op.13.  They also played a few others songs that were really good.  My favorite was the selection from Grieg.  I will link one of the songs played of Grieg by Bell. 

I will walk you through some of it.  It was a cold winter California night, we arrive at a big three story theater with a lively packed house.  The hall and theater was nice and warm, which was great, because I was still recovering from a bit of a three day minor chill/illness.  I was bundled up to stay even warmer and not catch any sort of chill.  I wanted to be able to enjoy it, and catching a repeat chill would surely be a problem.  The theater is very new.  It had blue back-lighting throughout the theater, and there was the pleasant smell of white wine as everyone drank and socialized in preparation.  We were in the first row on the second floor up high(with a really low rail)(don't get tipsy up there!).

It gets dark, a spotlight appears with the musicians, and we are off.  Beethoven was good, and the performance perfect, but it seemed like music you wouldn't listen too still recovering from illness/on a cold winter night.  It was like warm weather sunny bright upper class music you would listen to at a social gathering.  Good, but not in the moment music.  I spent my time listening and imagining myself in such a setting. 

I had high expectations for Prokofiev, and it was good.  The scales were very interesting and good.  It was Russian, whatever that means.  I liked it.  If I remember correctly, the scherzo-presto was my favorite by him, but I cannot be sure.  Again, the performance was perfect. 

Grieg starts out with two songs that I really liked.  I had my eyes closed the whole night basically because the light hurt my eyes.  I had been in my room sleeping for the past three days recovering, living on a diet of vegetables, so the light and action was too much for my eyes.  But, the ears had no problem.  And, these songs were the most captivating.  It could be that performances build and increase as the night nears its climax and end.  I don't know, but I liked the Grieg music.  Here is Joshua Bell playing one of the pieces by Grieg.  After the performance, my mother bought his cd to get it signed and a photograph snapped with us all.  It was really a perfect night, all things considered.  I say that because the only thing that was missing was not being able to go out and have a bite to eat somewhere.  I was still on a vegetable diet, eating my peppers/carrots/celery on the way to the performance.   

« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 12:13:07 AM by Philip G. »
For the stone shall cry out of the wall; and the timber that is between the joints of the building, shall answer.  Woe to him that buildeth a town with blood, and prepareth a city by iniquity. - Habacuc 2,11-12

The following users thanked this post: Josephine87

Offline Non Nobis

• Why are you fearful?
  • Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
Re: Any Joshua Bell fans?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 11:40:08 PM »
Classical music is wonderful. To me it is richer, fuller, and more emotionally and even spiritually rewarding than popular music. "Tastes vary"; but classical music is like traditional Catholicism; it has been around for longer because it is so good. I wish I had spent more time listening and getting to know it better and being more knowledgeable about composers and performers. (It's not too late, but it is late and less likely!)

I like Joshua Bell very well (how cool to see him live) and maybe I will try to listen to him more now.  I also love Grieg. I get so used to just putting on the radio in the background and forgetting the good stuff.

I really enjoyed your descriptive account of the concert.   
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?