Author Topic: Is there anything good about the new calendar?  (Read 293 times)

Offline Josephine87

• Mary Garden
  • Korporal
  • Religion: Catholic
Is there anything good about the new calendar?
« on: February 02, 2019, 09:22:13 PM »
I'm really unfamiliar with the NO but I do know there's now an obnoxious 3-year cycle.  I know they removed a lot of hard teachings and supernatural parts of Christ's ministry from the Sunday readings. They also removed long-standing saints' feast days. Is there anything good about the new calendar though? 
"Begin again." -St. Teresa of Avila

“My present trial seems to me a somewhat painful one, and I have the humiliation of knowing how badly I bore it at first. I now want to accept and to carry this little cross joyfully, to carry it silently, with a smile in my heart and on my lips, in union with the Cross of Christ. My God, blessed be Thou; accept from me each day the embarrassment, inconvenience, and pain this misery causes me. May it become a prayer and an act of reparation." -Elisabeth Leseur

The following users thanked this post: Xavier

Offline Maximilian

• Hauptmann
Re: Is there anything good about the new calendar?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 10:16:44 PM »
I'm really unfamiliar with the NO but I do know there's now an obnoxious 3-year cycle.  I know they removed a lot of hard teachings and supernatural parts of Christ's ministry from the Sunday readings. They also removed long-standing saints' feast days. Is there anything good about the new calendar though?

Twice per year there are readings that tell wives to obey their husbands. Neither reading is in the traditional calendar.

Of course, they don't actually read those verses anymore. The last time I was in a Novus Ordo church 20 years ago, they had put those politically-incorrect verses in brackets, thus making them "optional." But God help any lector who read actually read these "optional" verses. Since that time I believe they may have moved beyond just brackets to snipping out those verses entirely.

To me this only demonstrates how futile it is to try to be trendy. When the new mass was being invented in the sixties, they didn't foresee the feminist revolution that already was existing in incipient form, and soon would explode all over the world.

"Staying up with the times" is a thankless task. The bureaucrats who were up-to-date with the latest fashions in liturgy but didn't foresee the oncoming tidal wave of feminism were also likely stuck with a lot of bell-bottom jeans in their closet.

At the time in the sixties adding family-related material to the mass was fashionable and part of the trend towards making the mass more lay-centered. How blind they were to enormous societal changes that were happening right under their noses.

It's like in the nineties when JP II wanted a rock star to come to the Vatican, and so he invited Bob Dylan! Young people at that time had never even heard of Bob Dylan. He hadn't had a song on the radio in 20 years, and even then it was old people listening to him.

That incident sticks in my mind as the model of what happens when the Vatican tries to stay up with the times.

The following users thanked this post: Pon de Replay, Xavier, Kreuzritter, Josephine87, Stefano

Offline Traditionallyruralmom

• Mary Garden
  • Wachtmeister
  • Raising warriors for Christ and our country!
  • Religion: Traditional Catholic
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 09:08:17 AM »
St Padre Pio, St Gianna....thats about all I can think of off the top of my head
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

The following users thanked this post: Josephine87

Offline bigbadtrad

• Korporal
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 08:21:14 AM »
Yes it's great for starting a fire.
"God has proved his love to us by laying down his life for our sakes; we too must be ready to lay down our lives for the sake of our brethren." 1 John 3:16

The following users thanked this post: Lynne, Josephine87

Offline Prayerful

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 04:42:11 PM »
No. Every Conciliar canonisation, particularly after 1983, has an element of doubt. The process now even has less rigour, so Francis can make Communists like Helder Camara into saints, which they are not. Padre Pio is a saint, but JP2 made the canonisation process, which Paul VI had already started to undermine into a veritable 'saint factory.' No.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

The following users thanked this post: Lynne, Traditionallyruralmom

Offline Innocent Smith

• Wachtmeister
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 09:58:14 AM »
You will only find the Feast Day for Fatima in the new calendar. So that has to be worth something, right?

I don't agree that every canonization post '83 contains elements of doubt. Further, I am skeptical of some Saints from the old calendars. But I don't feel the need to mention them, nor do I remember them offhand. But when reading there history in the Liturgical Year or from the Breviary I will get reminded. I don't let it wreck my day and just plow through it and consider that I don't have all the facts. Because it really doesn't matter what my opinion happens to be.
I am going to hold a pistol to the head of the modern man. But I shall not use it to kill him, only to bring him to life.