Author Topic: The All-Seeing Eye  (Read 686 times)

Offline Josephine87

• Mary Garden
  • Korporal
  • Religion: Catholic
Re: The All-Seeing Eye
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2019, 01:20:36 PM »
I believe the advent wreath is a Lutheran invention, maybe that's the confusion?
"Begin again." -St. Teresa of Avila

“My present trial seems to me a somewhat painful one, and I have the humiliation of knowing how badly I bore it at first. I now want to accept and to carry this little cross joyfully, to carry it silently, with a smile in my heart and on my lips, in union with the Cross of Christ. My God, blessed be Thou; accept from me each day the embarrassment, inconvenience, and pain this misery causes me. May it become a prayer and an act of reparation." -Elisabeth Leseur

Offline Prayerful

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2019, 04:36:38 PM »
Is it not just an old German custom?
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Offline John Lamb

• Wachtmeister
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2019, 04:11:53 PM »
Came across this painting.

Cena in Emmaus (Pontormo)

As many as received him, he gave them power to be made the sons of God, to them that believe in his name. (John 1:12)

The following users thanked this post: martin88nyc

Offline martin88nyc

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2019, 06:35:32 PM »
Came across this painting.

Cena in Emmaus (Pontormo)

At the top is the luminous circle with the triangle and the eye, an allusion to the Trinity and a reference to the divine nature of the risen Jesus. This detail, which appears within a patch, was probably repainted by Empoli (author of a copy still today at the Certosa in which the detail appears), to conceal the three-sided face banned by the Counter-Reformation
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

The following users thanked this post: Lynne, John Lamb