Author Topic: "good" Catholic college list  (Read 798 times)

Offline Traditionallyruralmom

• Mary Garden
  • Wachtmeister
  • Raising warriors for Christ and our country!
  • Religion: Traditional Catholic
Re: "good" Catholic college list
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2019, 03:12:15 PM »
Regarding Christendom, this was posted several years ago at another forum by an alum:

The only college I know of that revolves around the TLM exclusively is Fisher-More College in Fort Worth, TX. I am entirely unable to speak on their academic or intellectual caliber, but their devotion to the traditional sacraments is an integral component to the college's identity.

Which has since been shut down!
So the number of options for traditional colleges "in union with Rome" appears to be zero.

There is St. Mary's College in St. Mary's Kansas.

I know a very smart and very talented young lady who went there. Some people thought she was wasting her talent going to an unaccredited school, but she met a nice young traditional Catholic man and is now happily married.

I was reading about one that they are hoping to open in Northern IL, St Athanasius maybe?
And yes, St Marys is on our list too, forgot to list that one.  We know many very nice young families who's mom or dad or both went there prior to Marriage. 
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

• Mary Garden
  • Wachtmeister
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2019, 03:13:11 PM »
I'm sure it's been said elsewhere TRM, but I want to add that it sounds like you're doing an incredible job raising your children.

Only by the grace of God....

Offline Maximilian

• Feldwebel
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2019, 03:48:41 PM »

I was reading about one that they are hoping to open in Northern IL, St Athanasius maybe?

I haven't seen anything about this.
Let us know if you have further information.

Offline Daniel

• Feldwebel
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2019, 04:04:10 PM »
I attended St. Mary's College and my opinion is mixed, but I would advise against going there. It might be difficult to get admitted there these days anyway...

The following users thanked this post: Traditionallyruralmom

• Mary Garden
  • Wachtmeister
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2019, 04:04:37 PM »

The following users thanked this post: Maximilian

Offline Heinrich

• Der hat einen Rosenkranz und steht jetzt als Arbeiter bei
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • "Hebst du doch, Geck?" Schlank und eisig.
  • Religion: Catholic
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2019, 04:45:19 PM »
I attended St. Mary's College and my opinion is mixed, but I would advise against going there. It might be difficult to get admitted there these days anyway...

There was a poster here who anecdoted about his attending St. Mary's and then seamlessly transferring to KSU to earn a pretty good degree in Economics or Engineering or something. I can't remember his nom de plume. "Commieskullcrusher" or something like that.
Pray for the Consecration.                           
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Bear in mind that the more the enemy assaults you, God is closer to your soul." --St. Padre Pio

Offline Maximilian

• Feldwebel
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2019, 04:57:50 PM »

http://stathanasius.wixsite.com/co-athanasius

Oh, so this is a spin-off from the Rockford IL Oratory of the ICR.

I know they've had a K-12 school in Rockford for many years.

Looks like they're trying to reach out to all types, since they're going to be advertising in the National Catholic Register, but they are promoting their letter of recommendation from Bishop Tissier de Mallerais.

Noble intentions, and I wish them the best, but this has been tried before, and I'd give the odds of success at 10-1 or less.

Offline Daniel

• Feldwebel
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2019, 05:41:33 PM »

There was a poster here who anecdoted about his attending St. Mary's and then seamlessly transferring to KSU to earn a pretty good degree in Economics or Engineering or something. I can't remember his nom de plume. "Commieskullcrusher" or something like that.
Yeah, I think there's some sort of arrangement between KSU and St. Mary's. I don't know the story behind it, but I do know that KSU accepts St. Mary's credits as transfer classes despite St. Mary's not being accredited (I don't know whether it accepts all of them though). I believe that many students who graduated from St. Mary's end up going to KSU.

Strangely enough, the university I currently attend (located in Delaware) accepted a few of my St. Mary's credits.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 05:45:12 PM by Daniel »

Offline Sen

• Hellebardier
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2019, 01:06:39 PM »
Franciscan University of Steubenville. I work in a secular environment and have run into several of their graduates. All wholesome, orthodox in belief, well-rounded, and successful financially and socially. Very active in their communities, locally and nationally. The college offers a large variety of degrees, including science and engineering. Strong nursing program. Sure, it is more "charismatic", but I'm sure there are traditionalist groups and Pittsburgh is nearby. I'm partial to larger colleges. Less insular, you get to meet more people, wider breadth of activities and things to learn, etc.

The following users thanked this post: Traditionallyruralmom, Josephine87

Offline Jacob

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Wachtmeister
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2019, 01:20:00 PM »
Franciscan University of Steubenville. I work in a secular environment and have run into several of their graduates. All wholesome, orthodox in belief, well-rounded, and successful financially and socially. Very active in their communities, locally and nationally. The college offers a large variety of degrees, including science and engineering. Strong nursing program. Sure, it is more "charismatic", but I'm sure there are traditionalist groups and Pittsburgh is nearby. I'm partial to larger colleges. Less insular, you get to meet more people, wider breadth of activities and things to learn, etc.

Are you aware of the current president undermining FUS' Catholic identity and the shenanigans in the English department?  If yes, why do you think FUS' good points outweigh the dangers?
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”
--Neal Stephenson

Offline Sen

• Hellebardier
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2019, 02:04:52 PM »

Are you aware of the current president undermining FUS' Catholic identity and the shenanigans in the English department?  If yes, why do you think FUS' good points outweigh the dangers?

I was not, actually. I looked it up just now, and that IS troubling.

Offline revival2029

• Hellebardier
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2019, 04:06:05 PM »
I have heard that Chistendom is very very bad news.
Not to mention we are in the "into doom" phase of Christendom it sounds like the college is following right along with the macro moves we are seeing.
The next and final epoch to Christendom will be Christ the King.
The downside of Christ the King phase is we have to go through "the king" phase.
As you can imagine that will be when Hell personifies as the Antichrist and comes as a false King.
Good Luck!
Luckily we wont see "the king" phase but are living the "into doom" and will need to lay groundwork for "Christ is King" resurgence and revival.

Offline Davis Blank - EG

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Korporal
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2019, 09:29:36 PM »

Bleh.  Yet again I am reminded but there is no where safe but Heaven.

No bottom floor to hell, it just keeps getting worse and worse.

The following users thanked this post: Lambda Phage

Offline Lambda Phage

• Wachtmeister
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2019, 09:48:50 AM »
I'm partial to larger colleges. Less insular, you get to meet more people, wider breadth of activities and things to learn, etc.

I spent 4 years at a small private University and 4 years at a large public University. I much preferred the large public University. At smaller schools it is much easier for the administrators to force their agendas down the students' throats and compel students to partake in horrific activities. They enforce uniformity (in evil). They can and do make assemblies and events mandatory. The propaganda (abortion pamphlets throughout the dorms, gay tolerance assemblies, atheist trifolds on the dining hall tables mocking Jesus Christ during lent, etc) was overwhelming.

At larger schools it is much easier to remain an individual and be your own person.There are competing agendas and you're more or less left alone. The worst thing I saw was a sticker on a bike rack that said "a trans person was here." There are enough people at big schools that you don't have to be friends with the ones you don't like. But I also lived off campus at the public University, which probably made a significant difference in my experience.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 09:51:52 AM by Lambda Phage »

The following users thanked this post: Heinrich, Sophia3

Offline Heinrich

• Der hat einen Rosenkranz und steht jetzt als Arbeiter bei
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • "Hebst du doch, Geck?" Schlank und eisig.
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2019, 10:02:16 AM »
Lambda, that is quite telling. Most small, liberal arts colleges steer towards the conservative side. Was it Oberlein in Ohio you attended?
Pray for the Consecration.                           
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Bear in mind that the more the enemy assaults you, God is closer to your soul." --St. Padre Pio