Author Topic: "good" Catholic college list  (Read 419 times)

Offline Traditionallyruralmom

• Mary Garden
  • Wachtmeister
  • Raising warriors for Christ and our country!
  • Religion: Traditional Catholic
"good" Catholic college list
« on: January 31, 2019, 08:42:32 PM »
is that available online?  Finally have a young one who is considering college  :)
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

Offline Heinrich

• Der hat einen Rosenkranz und steht jetzt als Arbeiter bei
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • "Hebst du doch, Geck?" Schlank und eisig.
  • Religion: Catholic
Re: "good" Catholic college list
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 09:54:17 PM »
Many trads send their chillin to Benedictine in Kansas.

Edit: spelling
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 10:43:01 PM by Heinrich »
Pray for the Consecration.                           
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Bear in mind that the more the enemy assaults you, God is closer to your soul." --St. Padre Pio

Offline Gardener

• Drink the poison yourself.
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 10:34:22 PM »
What are they wanting to do?
"And what use are the victories on the battlefield if we are ourselves are defeated in our innermost personal selves?" - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Offline Lambda Phage

• Korporal
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 11:14:49 AM »
What are they wanting to do?

This.

Is he/she going to school to learn things, or to get a job? No sarcasm, very serious question.

• Mary Garden
  • Wachtmeister
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 04:08:32 PM »
At this point she does not know.  She has thrown out Marine Corps as a possibility....with the intent of college before or after, depending on if she chooses the whole officer thing.  She is working on career and interest assessment via the TypeFocus test.  The reason I ask is because we are working on laying out the groundwork for her high school home education plan, and I was trying to look at the websites of all of the good Catholic schools  to see if they had course requirements for high school.  So far I have looked at Benedictine, Christendom, St Thomas Aquinas, Northeast Catholic and Wyoming Catholic, as those are the ones I am familiar with as we have friends with children at those schools.  I know for example the big state university near me has a list of stuff you have to have on your transcript, but so far, i don't see any of that on the Catholic websites I have looked at.  It looks as if we will probably pursue the general college credits that HSLDA recommends in their homeschooling through High school guide. 
My biggest goal for her is to be able to think well and critically from a traditional Catholic point of view, so that no matter what she chooses, she is firmly grounded in truth.  I also want to make sure she is at or above level with her core subjects, and prepare her to do well on the ACT, SAT or CLT...so that if she chooses not to enter military she will be eligible for scholarships.  Now, this is coming from a lady who has graduated 2 already who were worlds different from this child.  The first 2 were not scholars, had no interest in higher education, and we proceeded accordingly.  In fact, #2 was largely unschooled during high school because academics stressed her out, and her goals were focused on homemaking, great literature, history and learning how to home educate children (she is my preschool and K teacher)  My other child joined the Marines.  They are all so different!

The following users thanked this post: Michael Wilson

Offline Christina_S

• Mary Garden
  • Wachtmeister
  • Learning to love the will of God...
    • Cruce Signati Blog
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2019, 02:02:13 AM »
I've heard great things about Thomas Aquinas, as well as Our Lady Seat of Wisdom Academy in Ontario.  :canada:
"You cannot be a half-saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all." ~St. Therese of Lisieux

"Every person carries within his heart a blueprint of the one he loves." ~Ven. Fulton Sheen

The following users thanked this post: Traditionallyruralmom

Offline Non Nobis

• Why are you fearful?
  • Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2019, 04:14:11 AM »
I went to Thomas Aquinas College eons ago (uh, decades) and it was great then.  It is based on reading and discussing the "great books" in their original texts but with the careful guidance of "tutors" (full professors, not student teachers) who lead the students to think clearly, see the important points, and be lead to a true understanding. The whole curriculum is based on and directed to Catholic truths, starting with the Bible, and moving to St. Augustine, St. Anselm, and (as you might guess) St.  Thomas Aquinas, etc.  But "great books" include also books from great thinkers through history who have sought the truth and can help us think. They have influenced (or driven) the world in major ways that are sometimes good, although so often anti-Catholic.

Everyone takes the same courses (no electives).  The idea is that for a Catholic student to learn to think as a Catholic there are serious core readings that are recommended for everyone. The college is not about specialization.

If the goal is to take the quickest route to a well-paying job, or even to provide a sure basis that will always be accepted at other colleges (where you do want to specialize), then Thomas Aquinas College might not be the first choice.  However, I went from TAC to computer science with some extra effort but no major delay; and you can do just about anything after graduating there. Almost ALL people who go there get married and have large Catholic families, or they become priests or nuns.

If someone is preparing to provide for a family soon (or is uninterested in philosophy, theology, etc; they aren't for everybody, of course!) TAC might not be the first college you would think of.  But it is still worth considering "for the long haul" of life. Some think they can figure everything out by themselves in a library later in their lives... but might they do better with more solid time, and wise guidance?

One option is to just go there for a year or two; it might give you a good base from which you can make further decisions (even to discern a vocation).

Unfortunately, while definitely conservative and seriously striving to be Catholic (books read, encouragement of daily Mass, etc) it is not Traditionalist. It does offer the "Extraordinary Form" of the Mass as one choice daily. But it does not (to my knowledge) fight the modern hierarchy or the Pope.  This might influence a child the wrong way if he does not have a strong understanding of his own.  (When I went there a small group of us "snuck out" on Sundays to go to a TLM, and were told we were rebelling against Mother Church. At least now the TLM is "back").

To be honest, I haven't kept up with TAC very well through the years. But from all I have heard it is pretty much as before.  My niece almost went there after very much enjoying their summer program; she ended up at Christendom for financial and practical reasons.

https://thomasaquinas.edu/
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 04:32:31 AM by Non Nobis »
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

The following users thanked this post: Heinrich, Lambda Phage, Traditionallyruralmom

Offline Lambda Phage

• Korporal
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2019, 04:38:33 AM »
If I had a daughter and she was college bound I'd probably choose Christendom, but you listed other good places as well. My wife wishes she would have went there. Neither of us knew about schools like that when we were applying to colleges.

I strongly recommend against the military for a female, whether enlisted or officer. I know you have a boy who is an enlisted Marine. I'm an Army officer and surgeon currently deployed in the middle east. In my position I meet hundreds of service members every month. Without hesitation I would sooner sacrifice my first born than have any daughter of mine be in the midst of these people (our own people). It is far worse than college was, morally and spiritually, and I spent 8 years at two different Universities. I just finished school 2 years ago, so you have an idea of my age.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 06:57:11 AM by Lambda Phage »

Offline Lambda Phage

• Korporal
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2019, 04:51:13 AM »
I went to Thomas Aquinas College eons ago (uh, decades) and it was great then.  It is based on reading and discussing the "great books" in their original texts but with the careful guidance of "tutors" (full professors, not student teachers) who lead the students to think clearly, see the important points, and be lead to a true understanding. The whole curriculum is based on and directed to Catholic truths, starting with the Bible, and moving to St. Augustine, St. Anselm, and (as you might guess) St.  Thomas Aquinas, etc.  But "great books" include also books from great thinkers through history who have sought the truth and can help us think. They have influenced (or driven) the world in major ways that are sometimes good, although so often anti-Catholic.

Everyone takes the same courses (no electives).  The idea is that for a Catholic student to learn to think as a Catholic there are serious core readings that are recommended for everyone. The college is not about specialization.

If the goal is to take the quickest route to a well-paying job, or even to provide a sure basis that will always be accepted at other colleges (where you do want to specialize), then Thomas Aquinas College might not be the first choice.  However, I went from TAC to computer science with some extra effort but no major delay; and you can do just about anything after graduating there. Almost ALL people who go there get married and have large Catholic families, or they become priests or nuns.

If someone is preparing to provide for a family soon (or is uninterested in philosophy, theology, etc; they aren't for everybody, of course!) TAC might not be the first college you would think of.  But it is still worth considering "for the long haul" of life. Some think they can figure everything out by themselves in a library later in their lives... but might they do better with more solid time, and wise guidance?

One option is to just go there for a year or two; it might give you a good base from which you can make further decisions (even to discern a vocation).

Unfortunately, while definitely conservative and seriously striving to be Catholic (books read, encouragement of daily Mass, etc) it is not Traditionalist. It does offer the "Extraordinary Form" of the Mass as one choice daily. But it does not (to my knowledge) fight the modern hierarchy or the Pope.  This might influence a child the wrong way if he does not have a strong understanding of his own.  (When I went there a small group of us "snuck out" on Sundays to go to a TLM, and were told we were rebelling against Mother Church. At least now the TLM is "back").

To be honest, I haven't kept up with TAC very well through the years. But from all I have heard it is pretty much as before.  My niece almost went there after very much enjoying their summer program; she ended up at Christendom for financial and practical reasons.

https://thomasaquinas.edu/

That sounds amazing. I love my profession but I secretly day dream about retiring young so that I can enroll at a place like that and not have to worry about career or security afterwards.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 04:53:07 AM by Lambda Phage »

• Mary Garden
  • Wachtmeister
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2019, 08:49:22 AM »
I strongly recommend against the military for a female, whether enlisted or officer. I know you have a boy who is an enlisted Marine. I'm an Army officer and surgeon currently deployed in the middle east. In my position I meet hundreds of service members every month. Without hesitation I would sooner sacrifice my first born than have any daughter of mine be in the midst of these people (our own people). It is far worse than college was, morally and spiritually, and I spent 8 years at two different Universities. I just finished school 2 years ago, so you have an idea of my age.

Thank you for your honest opinion.  We had no desire for our son to go military, it was his choice.  Even with that we directed him to choose Reserves, so that he would be older if he decided to go active later in his career, for the moral and spiritual reasons that you list. Not encouraging our girls in the military is my husbands and my gut feeling as well.  She is not a major athlete or anything, she is quite a large book and art girl, so  I am thinking that with encouragement and direction, we can probably steer her away from thoughts of the military...though I do think she is a natural candidate for being a Drill Instructor  ;) She is very practical, she knows that her art skills probably wont pay the bills, and at this point, she says marriage is not something she is thinking about.  We joke that she needs to have a hermitage, ever since she was about 5 and I found her behind the chair playing what she called "hermitage" :)  I am hoping to really encourage the interests that come up in her interest assessment, and possibly have her do a few "come and see" programs at the various good colleges  to whet her appetite. 

The following users thanked this post: Lambda Phage, Josephine87

Offline Jacob

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Wachtmeister
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2019, 10:31:16 AM »
Regarding Christendom, this was posted several years ago at another forum by an alum:

Sorry I missed your question. Christendom College really is a paradoxical place. Amongst the vast majority of the students and many of the professors you will find a tremendous amount of traditional Catholic camaraderie and support for the TLM. However, the Chaplaincy and leadership within the institution itself are hell-bent on keeping the expression of the traditional sacraments on as discrete and subordinate a position as humanly possible. Being someone who isn't exactly subtle with my convictions, the raw aggression I encountered in response from the Chaplaincy, in particular, was absolutely staggering.

The only college I know of that revolves around the TLM exclusively is Fisher-More College in Fort Worth, TX. I am entirely unable to speak on their academic or intellectual caliber, but their devotion to the traditional sacraments is an integral component to the college's identity. Another option is Thomas Aquinas College in Santa Paula, California which offers the TLM every day including Sundays. Their academic method revolves around the discourse-based "Socratic Method" that I, personally, do not particularly care for, but many seem to thrive in such an environment. Another option is Thomas More College in Merrimack, New Hampshire. While they do not have a daily TLM, they do not appear to have the same ideological baggage that Christendom has and will actually shuttle their students to an off-campus TLM on Sundays. They also possess a wonderful liturgically-oriented emphasis on reinvigorating the world of sacred art/music primarily through medieval-style guilds in iconography, woodworking, choral music, etc. The last option I can think of is Wyoming Catholic College in Lander, Wyoming. These folks are rather unique in that in addition to academics, they encourage a great amount of outdoor activities including hunting, hiking, camping, etc. all as part of their curriculum. They have the TLM three times a week (including Sundays) and even a once-monthly Byzantine Divine Liturgy.
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”
--Neal Stephenson

Offline Heinrich

• Der hat einen Rosenkranz und steht jetzt als Arbeiter bei
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • "Hebst du doch, Geck?" Schlank und eisig.
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2019, 10:40:53 AM »
TRM, have you thought about a specialized technical school? My daughter completed a veterinary assistance(like an LPN for animals) program in 9 months for minimal cost. In Colorado, it is permissible also to advance to veterinary technician(RN "equivalent") with an approved apprenticeship program as well, which is what I believe she did. She is with baby now and father Army dude. However, even after she completed our home school program and documented GED skills to almost perfection, she enrolled, completed, went to work, and made dern good lettuce to boot(for a 20 year old living at home). This after discerning Fisher More, Wyoming Catholic, CU Boulder, etc.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 11:48:17 PM by Heinrich »
Pray for the Consecration.                           
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Bear in mind that the more the enemy assaults you, God is closer to your soul." --St. Padre Pio

The following users thanked this post: Lambda Phage, Traditionallyruralmom, Christina_S, Josephine87

Offline Lambda Phage

• Korporal
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2019, 12:29:17 PM »
Regarding Christendom, this was posted several years ago at another forum by an alum:

Ha, unfortunately the imperfections of the world have lowered my expectations in all things. I could handle that.

But I understand your point that it may not be what people hope.

Offline Lambda Phage

• Korporal
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2019, 12:39:32 PM »
I'm sure it's been said elsewhere TRM, but I want to add that it sounds like you're doing an incredible job raising your children.

The following users thanked this post: Heinrich, Traditionallyruralmom

Offline Maximilian

• Feldwebel
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2019, 01:17:00 PM »

The only college I know of that revolves around the TLM exclusively is Fisher-More College in Fort Worth, TX. I am entirely unable to speak on their academic or intellectual caliber, but their devotion to the traditional sacraments is an integral component to the college's identity.

Which has since been shut down!
So the number of options for traditional colleges "in union with Rome" appears to be zero.

There is St. Mary's College in St. Mary's Kansas.

I know a very smart and very talented young lady who went there. Some people thought she was wasting her talent going to an unaccredited school, but she met a nice young traditional Catholic man and is now happily married.

The following users thanked this post: Lynne, Traditionallyruralmom