Author Topic: Yer Weather  (Read 6001 times)

Offline Heinrich

• Steig mal auf den Berg hinauf
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Gott, wende Dich zu uns und gib uns neues Leben
  • Religion: römisch-katholisch
Re: Yer Weather
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2019, 09:44:07 PM »
Imagine how much colder it would be without the global warming. (sarcasm)

Silly, privileged white Male. This is the cold air being pushed down from the artic because of the warmer weather. Duh. 
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Offline maryslittlegarden

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
  • Religion: Catholic
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2019, 10:18:03 AM »
I hate winter.
This is the day the Lord has made; let us be glad and rejoice in it.
Praise the Lord, for He is good, for His mercy endures forever

The following users thanked this post: Non Nobis, Michael Wilson

Offline Heinrich

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2019, 10:54:35 AM »
I hate winter.

It humbles you. I like it. But what is tough, especially growing up in the Midwest, is the teasing one gets in March and April. One can feel the warmer air moving in, and there will be some days that appear to be summery, but the next few weeks will overall be dreary and chilly. But that is OK. This is old Europe Christendom weather, and what makes a Lenten Penance all the more effective. Now I live in Colorado, where, as many like to say, if yo don't like the weather, wait. Seriously. More dramatic than anywhere. For example, one day we can have Phoenix type temps and the next, Minneapolis. No foolin.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

The following users thanked this post: maryslittlegarden, Michael Wilson

Online mikemac

• Hauptmann
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2019, 03:04:44 PM »
Last week the weather forecasts called the cold weather a Colorado low.  This week they called it an Alberta clipper.
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima’s prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is “despair, overcome.”
Source

Offline red solo cup

• John 6:56
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Fair weather Catholic
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2019, 05:56:41 AM »
Last week the weather forecasts called the cold weather a Colorado low.  This week they called it an Alberta clipper.
Here they call it the Montreal Express.
"It's so lonely 'round the fields of Athenry"

The following users thanked this post: maryslittlegarden

Offline Michael Wilson

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2019, 03:19:44 PM »
The Weatherman in Miami, When I was living there, Walt Cronise, would give different inventive names to the heavy thunderstorms that were abundant; I can only recall "Palmeto Pounder."
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Offline red solo cup

• John 6:56
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Fair weather Catholic
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2019, 04:03:59 PM »
Frog Strangler
"It's so lonely 'round the fields of Athenry"

The following users thanked this post: Michael Wilson

Offline Prayerful

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2019, 04:50:56 PM »
Sun shine for most of today, but slightly chilly at c. 3 degrees Celsius.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

The following users thanked this post: Heinrich

Offline Michael Wilson

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2019, 07:48:09 PM »
Here is the story of Mr. Cronise from his obit:
https://www.local10.com/news/walt-cronise-longtime-local-10-meteorologist-dies-at-90

Also: "Fairway Flooders".

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Offline Heinrich

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2019, 10:53:16 AM »

The following users thanked this post: Michael Wilson

Offline Prayerful

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2019, 04:19:09 PM »
Sun shine for most of today, but slightly chilly at c. 3 degrees Celsius.

Same today, barring frost in the morning, quite a lot.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Offline Non Nobis

• Why are you fearful?
  • Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2019, 06:58:58 PM »
In California we worry about weather disasters that COULD happen and that may be "due". This story has been appearing just the last few days:

Quote from: Rare L.A. mega-storm could overwhelm dam and flood dozens of cities, experts say
Scientists call it California’s “other big one,” and they say it could cause three times as much damage as a major earthquake ripping along the San Andreas Fault.

Although it might sound absurd to those who still recall five years of withering drought and mandatory water restrictions, researchers and engineers warn that California may be due for rain of biblical proportions — or what experts call an ARkStorm.

This rare mega-storm — which some say is rendered all the more inevitable due to climate change — would last for weeks and send more than 1.5 million people fleeing as floodwaters inundated cities and formed lakes in the Central Valley and Mojave Desert, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. Officials estimate the structural and economic damage from an ARkStorm (for Atmospheric River 1,000) would amount to more than $725 billion statewide.

https://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-ln-mega-storm-dam-failure-20190218-story.html
https://www.10news.com/news/local-news/devastating-ark-storm-envisioned-for-california-by-u-s-geological-survey

Wouldn't it be something if the "big one" earthquake and this mega-storm happened at the same time (of course I imagine the former by itself could also cause the dam to break)?

Fortunately San Diego isn't in the area in danger of flooding from the maga*-storm, but we wouldn't escape the "big one" earthquake.

(* I meant MEGA-storm - a MAGA-storm is much preferable  ;))

Weather NOW? Well it's raining more than usual and even hailing a bit -  hard enough to scare my cat into the back of the closet. But I wouldn't have posted here if that were all I had to share!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 07:13:05 PM by Non Nobis »
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

Offline Heinrich

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2019, 09:05:55 PM »
Non, have been getting reports that So Cal is cooler and rainier than normal.

The following users thanked this post: Non Nobis

Offline MundaCorMeum

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2019, 10:28:50 PM »
Here in the south, where it's*almost* perpetually summer, we have a high of 79 deg. tomorrow.  It's been raining all week, and the pond is flooded.  I've a sneaking suspicion the kids will finally convince me to let them go splash around in the pond tomorrow afternoon 🙄

The following users thanked this post: maryslittlegarden

Offline Michael Wilson

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2019, 07:47:02 PM »
Here in "Sunny St. Marys" we've had three snow-days in the last two weeks and one day of extreme cold with rain/ice.