Author Topic: I wrote an article on violent video games  (Read 818 times)

Offline Markus

• Counter-Revolutionary Catholic
  • Hellebardier
  • Council of Trent Session 7 Canon 13: No New Rites!
    • Tradition in Action
  • Religion: Roman Catholic (Traditionalist)
I wrote an article on violent video games
« on: January 15, 2019, 03:43:26 AM »
I wrote an article on violent video games, specifically two popular games today: "Fortnite" and "PUBG". My goal is to show how these video games tendentially prepare public opinion for a neo-barbarian, and eventually openly satanic society.

https://reignofmary.blogspot.com/2019/01/pubg-and-fortnite-precursors-to-mass.html
Recommended Catholic Website -- Tradition in Action

The following users thanked this post: Pon de Replay, Daniel, bigbadtrad, Philip G.

Offline Heinrich

• Steig mal auf den Berg hinauf
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Roter Fleisch, der Speck und Bourbon
  • Religion: römisch-katholisch
Re: I wrote an article on violent video games
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 09:23:01 AM »
We'll check it out. Thanks!
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

Offline Philip G.

• Korporal
  • Ordinaria Cultus
  • Religion: Catholic
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 05:50:40 PM »
I think the article was good.  And, I think you are right about gladiator games to martyr Christians being a height of their desire, and a potential by-product these games could produce. 

The article wasn't lying about all those dances being popularized by this particular game.  Just search youtube for fortnite dances.  I saw on the news them promoting these dances in school for children.  Many of these dances are sourced from hollywood music videos and cinema.

It seems to me that this entire game is satanic in the way that it rewards killing with dancing and isolation with a zombie/monster fantasy world.  That sounds like hell to me. 

For the stone shall cry out of the wall; and the timber that is between the joints of the building, shall answer.  Woe to him that buildeth a town with blood, and prepareth a city by iniquity. - Habacuc 2,11-12

The following users thanked this post: Pon de Replay

Offline Daniel

• Feldwebel
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 03:16:42 PM »
All right, I've read the article. But I respectfully disagree. Your view is way too extreme.

1. The problem is not the genre. Other "battle royale" / "last man standing" non-video games are perfectly fine. Nothing but friendly competition. (e.g. chess tournaments: the idea is to eliminate each chess player one by one until there is a single champion. And another example: children's playground games such as "hide and seek", "tag", and "king of the hill". Same idea... eliminate all the other players until one player remains.)

Now I would say that video games are inferior to non-video games and sports, because video games are lacking in much of the benefits. Most video games are non-physical, most video games are non-intellectual, most video games don't stimulate the imagination, and most video games are non-social. But none of this has anything to do with the "battle royale" genre.

I also don't agree with your comparison between playing these games and relativistic ethics. There's a clear difference between one player killing a hundred competitors within the context of a game for fun and for the prize, and a hitman on a rampage throwing grenades and shooting a hundred of defenseless victims for fun and profit. It's apples and oranges; the fact that the latter is evil doesn't make the former evil. The only way that the former would be evil is if the player, while playing the game, consented to real-world killing rather than game-world killing. And I suppose that's possible if the game is immersive enough, but I doubt these games you mentioned are that immersive. (Though I don't know this could be measured.)

2. The excessively-realistic violence, the immodesty, and the indecent dancing are all real problems. Especially the immodesty. And I agree with you, all those things do contribute to the desensitization of society and the degradation of culture. However, it's not a one-way causal link. Culture is already degraded and was degraded even before there were any video games. These games are clearly a symptom, not the sole cause. They can make the problem worse, but they aren't the problem itself.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 03:24:35 PM by Daniel »

The following users thanked this post: Graham, Innocent Smith

Offline christulsa

• Feldwebel
    • The Okie Traditionalist Blog
  • Religion: Kung Fu
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 11:14:36 PM »
Good article. Well written, clear, articulate, researched.  Agree with general conclusion.

Daniel, in the game the player kills everyone, including innocent bystanders in order to win.

The following users thanked this post: Markus

Offline Daniel

• Feldwebel
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 07:22:54 AM »
Daniel, in the game the player kills everyone, including innocent bystanders in order to win.
Well I've never played either of those two games and I haven't done much research nor do I know much about them. I was under the impression that they were more like graphically-realistic versions of "laser tag" or "paintball", where you go around killing other combatants, not "innocent bystanders".

I agree that games in which you do explicitly kill innocent bystanders (such as Grand Theft Auto) are bad, because they further contribute to the degradation of culture and desensitization of their audience. And the graphic realism just makes it worse. But I'm still not seeing how this has anything to do with the idea of "battle royale". Because as mentioned, other comparable games (e.g. tag, chess tournaments, even Super Smash Bros.) are set up in a "last man standing" sort of fashion, yet don't have this same effect on society.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 07:40:55 AM by Daniel »

Offline The Curt Jester

• Water-drinker at the Coffee Social
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Wachtmeister
  • Religion: Neo-Pelagian Angry Traditionalist with Narcissistic Tendencies
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 04:53:42 PM »
These are the games that are being talked about constantly in Catholic schools.

I played many first person shooter games when I was a teen and in my early twenties. I wish I didn't. Obsession with any video games (or computer games) is bad and really, the best way to avoid it is to not have them. They can't play what they don't have.  Start them with blocks and cars and move them to Legos and musical instruments.
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

The following users thanked this post: Daniel

Offline Gardener

• Drink the poison yourself.
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2019, 02:13:05 PM »
"And what use are the victories on the battlefield if we are ourselves are defeated in our innermost personal selves?" - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Providence is a present mystery by which our hope is confirmed and our faith solidified, if we give not into despair or disbelief.

The following users thanked this post: aquinas138, Philip G.

Offline clau clau

• My other bike is a Pinarello
  • Wachtmeister
  • Religion: Traditionalist videogamer - I only play 8-bit video games
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2019, 03:04:55 PM »
How about violent word games.

Would you like to shake hands with Pope 1 or Pope 2 -
 me (inspired by Dr Seuss)

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.

The following users thanked this post: Innocent Smith, aquinas138

Offline Innocent Smith

• Wachtmeister
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2019, 09:52:04 PM »
Just got done reading your article. My takeaway is that your female relative has a bigger pair than you.

But don't take my criticism too hard. I'm one of those neo-barbarians who no longer uses a coffee saucer.

By the way, do you think my Catholic peasant forefathers always used their saucers made of fine china? I wonder what kind of tea sets and service they had at their disposal after a hard day of farming. Was it porcelain or sterling? The mind reels.

For those who may be wondering why I'm talking about saucers and tea service, it comes from another Satanic plot uncovered by the OP in which Satan is winning at the dinner table.   
I am going to hold a pistol to the head of the modern man. But I shall not use it to kill him, only to bring him to life.

The following users thanked this post: Gardener, aquinas138, Fleur-de-Lys

Offline aquinas138

• Wachtmeister
  • Māran etraḥam 'lay!
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2019, 12:49:25 PM »
Just got done reading your article. My takeaway is that your female relative has a bigger pair than you.

But don't take my criticism too hard. I'm one of those neo-barbarians who no longer uses a coffee saucer.

By the way, do you think my Catholic peasant forefathers always used their saucers made of fine china? I wonder what kind of tea sets and service they had at their disposal after a hard day of farming. Was it porcelain or sterling? The mind reels.

For those who may be wondering why I'm talking about saucers and tea service, it comes from another Satanic plot uncovered by the OP in which Satan is winning at the dinner table.   

So I just read that article. This cannot be real, can it?
O unashamed intercessor of Christians, ever loyal advocate before the Creator, do not disregard the prayerful voice of sinners but in your goodness hasten to assist us who trustfully cry out to you: Intercede always, O Mother of God, in behalf of those who honor you!

Offline Markus

• Counter-Revolutionary Catholic
  • Hellebardier
  • Council of Trent Session 7 Canon 13: No New Rites!
    • Tradition in Action
  • Religion: Roman Catholic (Traditionalist)
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2019, 09:07:20 PM »

It is the nature of Christian civilisation to be constantly advancing and refining itself. So, where at one time we did not have fineries like tablecloths, fine china, and saucers for our coffee cups, we now do. The Revolutionaries saw this refinement (for refinement breeds sanctity) as a threat, and worked to remove it from society.

Taken on its own, it is indeed a small thing. But small things add up.
Recommended Catholic Website -- Tradition in Action

The following users thanked this post: Maximilian, Padraig

Offline Davis Blank - EG

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Korporal
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2019, 12:15:17 AM »
It is the nature of Christian civilization to be constantly advancing and refining itself.

While I prefer fine things as well and mourn the aesthetic state of modern society, I do not see it to be in the unique nature of Christendom to be constantly advancing and refining itself.  That is in the nature of any civilization (of which we are not in one, we are in the break apart).  All civilizations developed fine things for themselves, Christendom was not unique in this.  I am also uncertain if this tendency of civilizations in general was one that Christendom theoretically should have followed.  I of course understand refinement for holy things, much less so for anything else.

Offline Gardener

• Drink the poison yourself.
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2019, 09:12:35 AM »

So I just read that article. This cannot be real, can it?

Oh, it's totally real. He went by Mark Williams on Fisheaters: https://www.fisheaters.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=82735

He goes by marlus-borgia on reddit.

"And what use are the victories on the battlefield if we are ourselves are defeated in our innermost personal selves?" - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Providence is a present mystery by which our hope is confirmed and our faith solidified, if we give not into despair or disbelief.

Offline Heinrich

• Steig mal auf den Berg hinauf
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Roter Fleisch, der Speck und Bourbon
  • Religion: römisch-katholisch
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2019, 04:12:42 PM »
Typical coffee presentation in Vienna. Not at the Heinrich household, though.

Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.