Author Topic: Traditional prayer and devotional books.  (Read 411 times)

Offline martin88nyc

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
  • Religion: Catholic
Traditional prayer and devotional books.
« on: January 09, 2019, 08:52:57 PM »
There are several prayer books and daily devotional books out there including breviaries, diurnals etc.

I have looked at several prayer books like Blessed Sacrament, My prayer book by Fr. Lasance and Blessed be God. The Blessed sacrament seems most complete and at the same time compact and small. There is also Divine Intimacy and daily meditations by Cardinal Bacci.
What do you personally use and what would you recommend?
I would like to buy a prayer book that would serve me for a long time.
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

The following users thanked this post: Xavier

Offline Gardener

• Drink the poison yourself.
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
Re: Traditional prayer and devotional books.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 12:53:16 AM »
I really like the My Prayer Book from Fr. Lasance; it's what we use for our family prayers. I've not seen the Blessed Sacrament book.

My suggestion would be to look for whatever is made with the most quality if you are buying new.

Also, whatever will assist you the most. No point in buying something you won't use or that frustrates you.

"And what use are the victories on the battlefield if we are ourselves are defeated in our innermost personal selves?" - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Providence is a present mystery by which our hope is confirmed and our faith solidified, if we give not into despair or disbelief.

The following users thanked this post: Xavier, martin88nyc

Offline Kaesekopf

• Enkindle in us the virtues of humility and patience So we too may obediently do your will faithfully.
  • Oberst
  • Major
    • Suscipe Domine
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 01:11:32 AM »
I prefer the Blessed be God text.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

The following users thanked this post: martin88nyc

Offline Bernadette

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 10:08:33 AM »
I love My Prayer Book and The Prisoner of Love, by Fr. Lasance. The latter has an emphasis on the Blessed Sacrament.

The following users thanked this post: maryslittlegarden, Xavier, martin88nyc

Offline maryslittlegarden

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 11:04:30 AM »
I love My Prayer Book and The Prisoner of Love, by Fr. Lasance. The latter has an emphasis on the Blessed Sacrament.

Anything by Fr Lasance is good... . :)
Come, Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of Thy faithful and enkindle in them the fire of Thy love

Offline joe17

• Korporal
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 06:47:53 PM »
The Immitation or Following of Christ is something you can keep coming back to over the years.

The following users thanked this post: Lynne, Xavier

Offline Non Nobis

• Why are you fearful?
  • Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 07:05:27 PM »

I bought My Prayer Book from Amazon and it looks and feels like a hefty modern textbook (it's hard to tell from the picture and description, or I didn't look closely enough).  Were I to buy it again I would either look for a lightly used copy, or try the Angelus Press version. 
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Offline Gardener

• Drink the poison yourself.
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2019, 10:34:35 PM »

I bought My Prayer Book from Amazon and it looks and feels like a hefty modern textbook (it's hard to tell from the picture and description, or I didn't look closely enough).  Were I to buy it again I would either look for a lightly used copy, or try the Angelus Press version.

Check out eBay for a good condition used copy from the 50ís.
"And what use are the victories on the battlefield if we are ourselves are defeated in our innermost personal selves?" - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Providence is a present mystery by which our hope is confirmed and our faith solidified, if we give not into despair or disbelief.

The following users thanked this post: Non Nobis

Offline Aodhan

• Hellebardier
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2019, 02:51:11 PM »
I love my Blessed Be God prayer book

Offline Prayerful

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2019, 05:01:01 PM »
I like my St Anthony's Treasury, published 1930. The first and third items in the Ebay link are a reprint and an original of it. The reprint at $12 sold by a homeschooling charity is probably the more realistic purchase.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Offline Aodhan

• Hellebardier
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2019, 11:53:38 AM »
Have just acquired a beautiful edition of Key Of Heaven printed 1943 in England

Offline Prayerful

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2019, 07:05:43 PM »
Have just acquired a beautiful edition of Key Of Heaven printed 1943 in England

The one I have from 1957 has large print, which makes it handy for those with weaker or weakening eyesight, and all the usual prayers and Novenas, with the ordinary of the Mass plus Sunday Gospels.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.