Author Topic: Tattoos  (Read 766 times)

Offline Traditionallyruralmom

• Mary Garden
  • Wachtmeister
  • Raising warriors for Christ and our country!
  • Religion: Traditional Catholic
Re: Tattoos
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2019, 05:54:45 PM »
Not OP (sorry OP, jumping in here) but what do you guys think about a Catholic tattoo to cover up an old occult tattoo until I can afford to have it removed? Or would it just be better to wait to have the laser removal and leave as-is for now?

St Benedict Medal tattoo over it and leave it at that  ;)
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

The following users thanked this post: carmina laetitiae

Offline Gardener

• Drink the poison yourself.
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Catholic
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2019, 04:51:12 AM »
Not OP (sorry OP, jumping in here) but what do you guys think about a Catholic tattoo to cover up an old occult tattoo until I can afford to have it removed? Or would it just be better to wait to have the laser removal and leave as-is for now?

Laser removal is expensive, highly painful (I thought it was worse than the tattoo process itself), and takes a lot of sessions to make a dent in it (much less actually remove it).

If you notice in a lot of successfully removed tattoos, the before pic features a cheap quality tat. They rarely say how many sessions it took to fully remove it.

Here's some articles:
https://www.glamour.com/story/tattoo-removal-cost-what-is-it-like
https://www.self.com/story/laser-tattoo-removal-myths

So you'd have to ask yourself if you could:

1) Afford it
2) Stand it
3) Be patient with it

Otherwise, do a cover up.
"And what use are the victories on the battlefield if we are ourselves are defeated in our innermost personal selves?" - St. Maximilian Kolbe

The following users thanked this post: carmina laetitiae

Offline Vetus Ordo

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Wachtmeister
  • Religion: Hopeful Fatalism
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2019, 01:09:29 PM »
Although I don't see anything intrinsically wrong with a tatto itself, unless the drawing is vulgar or sinful, I'd still advise against it.

The culture of tattoos (and piercings) that has blossomed in the last 40 years is highly paganized. It's intrinsically linked with a culture of rebellion and licentiousness. Christians do well to stay away from it, since most of them are pretty bad anyway and disfigure the body. I've seen guys tattoo even their necks. Or, worse, faces. It's just utterly ugly.

If you happen to have one and it's decent, fine. But it's better to avoid having one in the first place, given our social context.
ΠΙΣΤΟΣ Ο ΛΟΓΟΣ ΚΑΙ ΠΑΣΗΣ ΑΠΟΔΟΧΗΣ ΑΞΙΟΣ, ΟΤΙ ΧΡΙΣΤΟΣ ΙΗΣΟΥΣ ΗΛΘΕΝ ΕΙΣ ΤΟΝ ΚΟΣΜΟΝ ΑΜΑΡΤΩΛΟΥΣ ΣΩΣΑΙ: ΩΝ ΠΡΩΤΟΣ ΕΙΜΙ ΕΓΩ

The following users thanked this post: Heinrich, Gardener, Josephine87

Offline Sempronius

• Korporal
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2019, 01:44:44 PM »
Although I don't see anything intrinsically wrong with a tatto itself, unless the drawing is vulgar or sinful, I'd still advise against it.

The culture of tattoos (and piercings) that has blossomed in the last 40 years is highly paganized. It's intrinsically linked with a culture of rebellion and licentiousness. Christians do well to stay away from it, since most of them are pretty bad anyway and disfigure the body. I've seen guys tattoo even their necks. Or, worse, faces. It's just utterly ugly.

If you happen to have one and it's decent, fine. But it's better to avoid having one in the first place, given our social context.

How do you base your conclusion that tattoos arenít intrinsically evil?

If I were to say that they are, then on what grounds would I be wrong?

Offline Vetus Ordo

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Wachtmeister
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2019, 01:50:56 PM »
How do you base your conclusion that tattoos arenít intrinsically evil?

A drawing on your skin as a simple adornment of the body does not go against natural law, anymore than lipstick, dying your hair or putting earrings.

Tattoos can be evil if the drawing is sinful or if they completely disfigure the body due to their extension or location. Also, there are cultural considerations to be had, as I said previously.

If I were to say that they are, then on what grounds would I be wrong?

I don't know. Are you presenting a case?
ΠΙΣΤΟΣ Ο ΛΟΓΟΣ ΚΑΙ ΠΑΣΗΣ ΑΠΟΔΟΧΗΣ ΑΞΙΟΣ, ΟΤΙ ΧΡΙΣΤΟΣ ΙΗΣΟΥΣ ΗΛΘΕΝ ΕΙΣ ΤΟΝ ΚΟΣΜΟΝ ΑΜΑΡΤΩΛΟΥΣ ΣΩΣΑΙ: ΩΝ ΠΡΩΤΟΣ ΕΙΜΙ ΕΓΩ

Offline Heinrich

• Der hat einen Rosenkranz und steht jetzt als Arbeiter bei
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • "Hebst du doch, Geck?" Schlank und eisig.
  • Religion: Catholic
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2019, 04:42:43 PM »
This thread has changed the minds of zero people, it appears. People who like 'em will keep arguing theirs against those who don't.
Pray for the Consecration.                           
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Bear in mind that the more the enemy assaults you, God is closer to your soul." --St. Padre Pio

The following users thanked this post: Pon de Replay

Offline Vetus Ordo

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Wachtmeister
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2019, 07:40:27 PM »
This thread has changed the minds of zero people, it appears. People who like 'em will keep arguing theirs against those who don't.

You have incidentally described the whole history of internet fora.

The following users thanked this post: Pon de Replay, Lynne, Josephine87