Author Topic: Does the Church ever give exemptions for contraception?  (Read 1235 times)

Offline Daniel

• Feldwebel
Re: Does the Church ever give exemptions for contraception?
« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2018, 07:17:56 AM »
I already  said why shes using  it and I dont want to get indepth into  this. I was just wondering if the Church  had  any exceptions for contraception, but it looks like they don't  not even to avoid death during pregnancy

If she’s not having sex or at least open to the likely possibility, then there is no need for her to be taking contraceptive medication to avoid pregnancy.

The story makes no sense.
That was my first thought, though there could be other explanations.

For example, maybe she's using contraception for some other reason, as Chestertonian and james03 suggested. While the OP said she's using it "to save her life", he did not say that "saving her life" is the only reason. It could be the case that she's currently using it for some other reason, but she will also be using it to "save her life" once she is married: and so the OP simply didn't mention the other reasons, since they are permissible and are thus not relevant to the question at hand.

Another possibility is that she's paranoid and thinks that she's going to be raped. So she's currently using contraception even though she's not fornicating, so that on the off chance that she ends up raped then she won't conceive and then die. (Still morally impermissible, but this does establish a motive that doesn't involve her fornicating.)

Still, the most obvious explanation is that she's probably fornicating with somebody else. And if I were the OP, I'd want to know that this is not the case. Because if she is currently fornicating with somebody else, it's probably not a good idea to marry her. (But then again, if I was the OP, and if I had "one-itis", I might not care whether or not this is the case. I might want to marry her anyway, even if I know that she is fornicating with somebody else.)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 07:20:41 AM by Daniel »

The following users thanked this post: Kreuzritter

Offline Kreuzritter

• Korporal
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2018, 07:31:11 AM »
Question:

Is sex in marriage that is not open to life worse than fornication that is not closed to life?

Offline james03

• Hauptmann
  • The Brutal Clarity of a Winter Morning
  • Religion: Catholic
« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2018, 09:05:43 AM »
James, your first post was as blunt as mine so I assume you're cracking a joke.

I was a Bakken oilfield worker.  We have delicate ears.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

The following users thanked this post: diaduit

Offline diaduit

• Mary Garden
  • Wachtmeister
« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2018, 11:58:35 AM »
James, your first post was as blunt as mine so I assume you're cracking a joke.

I was a Bakken oilfield worker.  We have delicate ears.

yes and you drink your tea with your baby pinky fingers raised....one lump or two  :)

Offline Daniel

• Feldwebel
« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2018, 04:20:48 PM »
Question:

Is sex in marriage that is not open to life worse than fornication that is not closed to life?
If I had to take a guess, I'd say that the former is worse. Because conception is more fundamental than child-rearing. Contraceptive sex in marriage is opposed to both conception and child-rearing, whereas non-contraceptive sex outside of marriage is only opposed to child-rearing, not to conception.

Offline Warwick

• Hellebardier
« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2018, 05:59:15 PM »
Correct shes  on it for other reasons  not significant enough to bring up, which is why i said it like that.

Offline Warwick

• Hellebardier
« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2018, 06:16:38 PM »
To be honest  I am having  a really hard time with  the Churches view on contraception. Ive had people try convince me for a long time and nothing.

Offline james.rogerson

• Hellebardier
« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2018, 07:28:16 PM »
Contraceptive sex is unnatural.

Non-contraceptive sex outside marriage is sinful but not unnatural.

Offline Miriam_M

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • Never have been "MiriamB"
  • Religion: Traditional Roman Catholic
« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2018, 08:04:49 PM »
To be honest  I am having  a really hard time with  the Churches view on contraception. Ive had people try convince me for a long time and nothing.

May I get some clarification?  Pretending that this woman -- or any woman -- had no theoretical medical issues around pregnancy, would you still have

a really hard time with  the Churches view on contraception.
  ?

The following users thanked this post: james03

Offline Davis Blank - EG

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Vizekorporal
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2018, 10:11:10 PM »
Warwick,

Eating food has several purposes.  One is to nutrify the body.  Another is for social communion.  Another is for pleasure.  These purposes have an ordering to them, with at least the primary purpose being to nutrify the body.  When a person eats and then purges the food, this person has removed the primary purpose for eating - to nutrify the body.  Perhaps this act of eating was done for pleasure to the exclusion of nutrition.  Whatever it be, I think we would all agree this is bad and that this is a disorder.  It is a disorder because it has placed out of order the purposes of this action.  When a person acts in such a disordered way, like with purging, we recognize that this is unhealthy for the person (even if the person likes it), and this should be avoided.

God created a hierarchy of purposes for actions.  So too with sex, with its primary purpose being the act of creation.  To nullify the act of creation with contraception is another form of disorder.  And like with purging, which the actor might like doing, we recognize that ultimately this is bad and should be abstained from.

Another way to look at it, which has been mentioned before, is that it was universally agreed across Christendom until only a few decades ago that contraception was evil.  On one hand you have billions of Christians across thousands of years agreeing on X.  On the other hand you have debauched modern secularist society saying Not X.  Were I a gambling man, I'd bet on the former being right.  While the roots of our civilization collapse extend far back, the legalization and societal acceptance of contraception was a big watershed moment.  You can trace the rise of homosexuality, divorce, broken families, LGBTQwhatever, all back to the disordering of the sexual act, which became disordered across society when contraception was tolerated.  Sometimes it can be hard to understand why X is bad, but that X is bad becomes more clear when one looks at its effects, even if we still yet do not fully internalize why X is bad.

Jesus calls us to faith, not to fully understanding everything.  Obedience, not super intelligence.

Offline JesusIsGod

• Hellebardier
« Reply #70 on: November 07, 2018, 10:11:42 PM »
The Church allows us to use contraceptives in all cases
-Peace

Offline Kaesekopf

• Enkindle in us the virtues of humility and patience So we too may obediently do your will faithfully.
  • Oberst
  • Major
    • Suscipe Domine
« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2018, 10:58:28 PM »
The Church allows us to use contraceptives in all cases
-Peace

This is dead wrong.  Take a week off, since you're a brand new account, and you're either woefully misinformed or malicious.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

The following users thanked this post: Daniel, diaduit, Traditionallyruralmom, MundaCorMeum, james.rogerson, Josephine87

Offline diaduit

• Mary Garden
  • Wachtmeister
« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2018, 04:53:42 AM »

Warwick, your having a hard time believing this because you want it to be true, you want to talk yourself into contraception being ok in this instance because you WANT this girl.

Edit to add:  Warwick why don't you promise God you park get married until at least you have done a St Ignatius retreat, God will answer your dilema for you very clearly after that.  Its only less than a year for them to be available (usually done in the summer here) what is that compared to a lifetime or eternity.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 04:58:24 AM by diaduit »

The following users thanked this post: Kaesekopf

Offline Clare

• Mary Garden
  • Wachtmeister
  • Cafeteria Trad
    • Motes 'n' Beams blog
« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2018, 05:47:45 AM »
As has been pointed out, contraception sometimes fails. If pregnancy will cause a woman death, she should not take the risk of having sex even with contraception.

(Of course, there's always a possibility that it won't cause death at all, and she has been misled by her doctors. Doctors are often warning things needlessly.)
Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

Offline OCLittleFlower

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • CALIFORNIA DEPLORABLE
  • Religion: Trad to the max!
« Reply #74 on: November 09, 2018, 02:04:49 PM »
Question:

Playing the "which sin is worse" game is never good.  The thief who sits in jail knowing himself to be less of a sinner than the murderer in the next cell is dwelling on that instead of repenting, after all.

But...considering that some forms of contraception involve abortion, and killing is worse than fornication...
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

Если вы можете прочитать это, вы лучше.