Author Topic: Forum improvements?  (Read 4178 times)

Offline Maximilian

• Hauptmann
Re: Forum improvements?
« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2019, 04:32:39 PM »

In the past, I've wanted to discuss The Rise and Fall of Triumph, a nonfiction book about the fortunes of a Catholic magazine founded in the 60s that presaged in many ways Trad thinking.

I read that when you posted a link some time ago.

Cool.  Did you get anything out of it?

In general I enjoyed the read and found it quite informative about that time period.

What struck me the most strongly was sympathy for the characters as they were betrayed first by their country and then by their church. Their heartfelt faith in America as the shining light that would bring freedom to the world was destroyed by the realization that we were actually working hand-in-glove with the communists.

At the time when they were suffering from loss of faith in the USA, they believed they could always fall back upon the Church, but then that exploded in their faces as well.

It reminds me of the author of "Canticle for Leibowitz" who just months prior to Vatican II published a book with the theme that nations might come and go but the Church would always be there. Eventually Walter Miller committed suicide.

Ultimately at the end, despite all the vicissitudes they had suffered, they were not able to shake their early formation. It was too much to ask that they come to see the pope as not Catholic, the conciliar church as a false church, etc.

The following users thanked this post: Jacob

Offline Gardener

• Drink the poison yourself.
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Catholic
« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2019, 11:31:33 PM »
In all fairness, Walter Miller was pretty messed up as a person. But man, Canticle... was a masterpiece.

"And what use are the victories on the battlefield if we are ourselves are defeated in our innermost personal selves?" - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Providence is a present mystery by which our hope is confirmed and our faith solidified, if we give not into despair or disbelief.

Woe is me, because I have held my peace. Isaiah 6

The following users thanked this post: Heinrich, Lynne

Offline Heinrich

• Steig mal auf den Berg hinauf
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Roter Fleisch, der Speck und Bourbon
  • Religion: römisch-katholisch
« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2019, 10:00:00 AM »
A few ideas: a conspiracy theory discussion thread, a "Shakespeare"* discussion thread. I am digging me some history plays and a refound interest in Othello and King Lear.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Offline clau clau

• My other bike is a Pinarello
  • Wachtmeister
  • Religion: Traditionalist videogamer - I only play 8-bit video games
« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2019, 05:28:00 PM »
One problem I have is with the various areas.  The Chat Room, Coffee and Donuts ... whatever.

My portal to the forum is basically to click on the "Show unread since last visit". Whatever appears I tend to look down the list and contribute to the ones that I am interested in. I am not really focused on which area/room I am in just in the thread topic.

If I see that the topic has been introduced/replied to by certain members I am more likely to contribute to it. Contrariwise if the person is on my banned list or somebody who posts incessantly with walls of text I am unlikely to read the topic.

I even have links which link to certain posters to see what they have been posting and to look at their recent posts. If they have said something interesting "anywhere" on "any" thread I will jump into the thread at that point and read the comment in context and then maybe contribute to the thread.  Sometimes these threads are several day/weeks/months and even years old. It must seem a bit strange when one of these thread comes back from the dead and reappears in the latest posts.

It seems to me inevitable that there will be "stars" on any forum.  That is just Pareto distribution, it's everywhere. Trying to fight against it is like trying to hold back the tide. On the other hand stars need to be managed or they can easily destroy the forum. It's a bit like herding cats.

Pareto distribution - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareto_distribution
Pareto principle     - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareto_principle
Would you like to shake hands with Pope 1 or Pope 2 -
 me (inspired by Dr Seuss) see: https://seuss.fandom.com/wiki/Thing_One_and_Thing_Two

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.

The following users thanked this post: Lynne

Offline Michael Wilson

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2019, 08:02:05 PM »
A few ideas: a conspiracy theory discussion thread, a "Shakespeare"* discussion thread. I am digging me some history plays and a refound interest in Othello and King Lear.
A fitness; wweightlifting; healthy died section.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Offline Jacob

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #65 on: December 07, 2019, 08:40:34 PM »
My portal to the forum is basically to click on the "Show unread since last visit". Whatever appears I tend to look down the list and contribute to the ones that I am interested in. I am not really focused on which area/room I am in just in the thread topic.

This is me as well.  It can be time consuming going back to find a thread with a new post that I opened and checked out, but didn't have time to reply in before closing it.
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”
--Neal Stephenson

Offline Heinrich

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #66 on: December 07, 2019, 09:59:14 PM »

Healthy died section?
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Offline Gardener

• Drink the poison yourself.
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #67 on: December 08, 2019, 08:37:53 AM »

Healthy died section?

Solely devoted to Jack LaLanne
"And what use are the victories on the battlefield if we are ourselves are defeated in our innermost personal selves?" - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Providence is a present mystery by which our hope is confirmed and our faith solidified, if we give not into despair or disbelief.

Woe is me, because I have held my peace. Isaiah 6

The following users thanked this post: Heinrich, Michael Wilson

Offline Michael Wilson

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #68 on: December 08, 2019, 11:03:46 AM »
Healthy diet: how many people eat nothing but junk all day long; when I worked at a convenience store of a Gas station, I saw people come in and buy soda pop; candy bars; & other snacks; they were all sugar addicts. Many people don't know how to eat healthy.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

The following users thanked this post: Lynne

Offline Lynne

• happy to be Catholic!
  • Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • We're all special snowflakes
  • Religion: Catholic (SSPX)
« Reply #69 on: December 08, 2019, 11:24:09 AM »

If I see that the topic has been introduced/replied to by certain members I am more likely to contribute to it. Contrariwise if the person is on my banned list or somebody who posts incessantly with walls of text I am unlikely to read the topic.

I even have links which link to certain posters to see what they have been posting and to look at their recent posts. If they have said something interesting "anywhere" on "any" thread I will jump into the thread at that point and read the comment in context and then maybe contribute to the thread.  Sometimes these threads are several day/weeks/months and even years old. It must seem a bit strange when one of these thread comes back from the dead and reappears in the latest posts.

Unfortunately, the "Show last unread" link doesn't really show you everything. I find that I also have to click on the link below it too...
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael’s Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

“My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you’re supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen.”

The following users thanked this post: clau clau

Offline Miriam_M

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • Never have been "MiriamB"
  • Religion: Traditional Roman Catholic
« Reply #70 on: December 08, 2019, 12:44:39 PM »
THIS:

A fitness, weightlifting, healthy diet section. [Your friendly proofreader.  ;D  ]

Re-posted in enthusiastic assent.

The following users thanked this post: Michael Wilson

Offline Heinrich

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #71 on: December 08, 2019, 01:10:29 PM »
Healthy diet: how many people eat nothing but junk all day long; when I worked at a convenience store of a Gas station, I saw people come in and buy soda pop; candy bars; & other snacks; they were all sugar addicts. Many people don't know how to eat healthy.

The following users thanked this post: Michael Wilson