Author Topic: Endogenous Retroviruses and Evolutionary Games.  (Read 331 times)

Offline Xavier

• Glory to God in the Highest Heaven, and Peace to His people on Earth of good will.
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
  • Blessed Be the Hour that the Son of God was born!
  • Religion: Catholic Christian
Endogenous Retroviruses and Evolutionary Games.
« on: October 19, 2018, 08:42:14 AM »
Evolutionists cite Endogenous Retroviruses (ERVs) as one of their big evidences in favor of human evolution from monkeys. Creation Scientists have responded to these arguments showing the claim that ERV's (1) have no or limited function (much like the debunked argument about the appendix as a "vestigial" organ, which even many evolutionists now concede is useful) is incorrect and (2) that, building on 1, because they serve no purpose or have limited function (instead of being part of the divine blueprint for intelligent life) the claim that ERV's must be the result of a common descent, or of some fanciful kind of human and non-human inter-breeding, is a simple non sequitur. Common Design - and particularly a special blueprint the Creator chose to follow in designing all life in the instant of its creation - explains the evidence just as well. Also, Creation Scientists correctly predicted ERV's will be found to have important functionality, and empirical research bore this out. How did Creation and ID Theorists get this right, while Evolutionists were mistaken?

http://www.icr.org/article/viral-genome-junk-hits-trash/

"Evolutionists have long claimed that human chromosomes were infected with many different viruses over millions of years, which then multiplied in the genome. Then, as some of these sections of virus-like DNA were shown to be functional, evolutionists claimed they had become "tamed" like the domestication of wild animals. When virus-like DNA were first discovered, it was thought the majority of them would prove to be junk—until now.

DNA sequences called endogenous retroviruses (ERVs) are abundant in mammalian genomes. The ERV sequences initially got their name because they showed strong sequence similarity to known viruses. Then evolutionists proclaimed the animal genomes evolved to their present state, in part by repeated infection with viruses initially deemed part of an organism's "junk" DNA.

As research on ERVs progressed, it became apparent that many of these genomic features are not junk, but important for the mammal's survival, such as placental development.1 Many other ERVs were found to be specifically regulated by cell type.2 These ERVs contain special sequences that act like genetic switches in the genome by binding regulatory proteins (transcription factors) that control genes.2

Now a new study shows many other ERVs across the genome play key roles in controlling immune responses, another important process necessary for the survival of mammals.3 More specifically, this new research shows that ERVs regulate genes that produce pro-inflammatory signaling molecules released upon infection. This crucial system is called the innate immune response and genes regulated by ERVs associated with this biological network are called innate immunity factors. When ERV elements associated with these genes were inactivated in the laboratory, the production of innate immunity factors stopped—a simple but elegant experiment unequivocally demonstrating functionality. Obviously a mammal would get sick and have difficulty surviving without ERVs regulating their genome.

In a recent article, I go into more detail about ERVs and why the evolutionary story is completely backwards when it comes to explaining their presence in the genome.4 In brief, these elements are clearly part of the original created genomic blueprint for each creature and not the result of numerous viral infestations over eons of time. As I and several other creationist researchers have proposed, it's far more likely that ERVs were part of God's original genomic blueprint for different kinds of animals and humans, and that external viral genomes were derived from human and animal ERVs only after God cursed the creation for man's sin. This began a process of degeneration and corruption, yet His amazing handiwork is still seen in fully functional genomes."

See also: https://creation.com/large-scale-function-for-endogenous-retroviruses

"It seems that evolutionist Dr John Mattick, director of the Institute for Molecular Bioscience at the University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia, was spot on in his assessment of the gravity of the ‘junk DNA’ error:

‘The failure to recognize the full implications of this—particularly the possibility that the intervening noncoding sequences may be transmitting parallel information … may well go down as one of the biggest mistakes in the [evolutionary] history of molecular biology.’6

Both biblical creationists7 and ID proponents8 predicted that transposable elements, such as ‘endogenous retroviruses’, would have a function. In 2000, creationist molecular biologist Linda Walkup proposed that God could have created transposable elements to facilitate variation (adaptation) within biblical kinds.7

So much for the claim that Creation Scientists don't make Empirical Predictions that prove to be true. Dr. Brown has, and so have others.

Evolutionary Scientists also make many, many predictions, that much is true. The problem is, many of them turn out to be false.

And then there is no acknowledgement of that. But those who point this out are attacked.

We are ready to engage evolutionists fairly and reasonably, man to man, and even friend to friend, to show them where truth lies.

But the wish of evolutionists to constantly talk down to Creation Scientists causes them to err.

The Truth of Creation and the error of evolution are two competing worldviews with different scientific perspectives. The Truth will prevail.

Footnote 8: "Luskin, C., ‘Large Scale’ function for endogenous retroviruses: Intelligent Design prediction fulfilled while another Darwinist argument bites the dust, Discovery Institute, 21 August 2008" Retrieved from ID site https://evolutionnews.org/2008/08/function_for_endogenous_retrov/
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 08:46:10 AM by Xavier »
Mary, our Heavenly Mother, implores those who receive Holy Communion Daily, or at least Weekly, to Offer their Lives. TEXT OF THE LIFE OFFERING: "My dear Jesus, before the Holy Trinity, Our Heavenly Mother, and the whole Heavenly Court, united with Your most Precious Blood and Your Sacrifice on Calvary, I hereby Offer my whole Life to the Intention of Your Sacred Heart and to the Immaculate Heart of Mary. Together with my life, I place at Your disposal all Holy Masses, all my Holy Communions, all Rosaries, all acts of consecration, all my good deeds, all my sacrifices, and the suffering of my entire life for the Adoration and Supplication of the Holy Trinity, for Unity in our Holy Mother Church, for the Holy Father and Priests, for good Priestly vocations, and for all souls until the end of the world. O my Jesus, please accept my life Sacrifice and my offerings and give me Your grace that I may persevere obediently until my death." Amen. https://www.avemariamaternostra.com/life-offering-promises.html It is recommended that you make this Life Offering as soon as you feel ready, and to renew it from time to time.

Please read the Blessed Mother's promises in the link: those who make it seriously will face no Purgatory (promise 5) since they would have completed it here, will have all their loved ones released from Purgatory the day they offer their life with intent to persevere (promise 4), and can save the souls of all their family members in due time by their life offering (promise 3). It will benefit all souls who have ever lived until time's end (promise 2) A simple effective way for thousands of us to save millions of souls. Inflamed in Large Letters of Love, you will have your name written in the Hearts of Jesus and Mary forever (promise 1).

Offline Xavier

• Glory to God in the Highest Heaven, and Peace to His people on Earth of good will.
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
  • Blessed Be the Hour that the Son of God was born!
  • Religion: Catholic Christian
Re: Endogenous Retroviruses and Evolutionary Games.
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 09:05:28 AM »
Beside the above article worth reading in full, the wonderful ID website evolutionnews has more on the Junk DNA evolutionist scandal, "Behe Validated
It is that signature that guided these Nobel Prize-winning researchers, and always guides the best of biological science. No Nobel Prize has ever been awarded for Darwinian research, and there’s a reason for that. Darwinism denies purpose in biology, and denial of biological purpose is a catastrophic impediment to science. The Junk DNA scandal, for example, which is the catastrophic outcome of the Darwinist inference to purposelessness in biology, set genetic research back decades.

Certain levels of biological complexity are so intricate and exquisitely purposeful that they are beyond the feeble power of random chance and mindless selection. They require the application of intelligence to evolve.

Once again, it’s design science, not Darwinism, that wins Nobel Prizes. So bravo to Dr. Behe, whose principle of irreducible complexity was so beautifully validated by the superb work of Drs. Arnold, Smith, and Winter and implicitly recognized in this year’s Nobel Prize for chemistry. "

Dr. Jonathan Wells also has an excellent work on the subject exposing the myth of "Junk DNA": https://www.amazon.com/Myth-Junk-Jonathan-Wells-Ph-D/dp/1936599007

"Recent books by Richard Dawkins, Francis Collins and others have used this “junk DNA” as evidence for Darwinian evolution and evidence against intelligent design (since an intelligent designer would presumably not have filled our genome with so much garbage). But recent genome evidence shows that much of our non-protein-coding DNA performs essential biological functions.

The Myth of Junk DNA is written for a general audience by biologist Jonathan Wells, author of Icons of Evolution. Citing some of the abundant evidence from recent genome projects, the book shows that “junk DNA” is not science, but myth."

From earlier article: "ID predicts function because the basis for ID’s predictions is observations of how intelligent agents design things, and intelligent agents tend to design objects that perform some kind of function. As William Dembski wrote in 1998, “If, on the other hand, organisms are designed, we expect DNA, as much as possible, to exhibit function.” It seems that the expectations of ID are turning out to be right ... It seems that Richard Sternberg was correct when he predicted 5 years ago that “the selfish DNA narrative and allied frameworks must join the other ‘icons’ of neo-Darwinian evolutionary theory that, despite their variance with empirical evidence, nevertheless persist in the literature.” (Richard Sternberg, “On the Roles of Repetitive DNA Elements in the Context of a Unified Genomic–Epigenetic System,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, Vol. 981: 154–88 (2002).)
Mary, our Heavenly Mother, implores those who receive Holy Communion Daily, or at least Weekly, to Offer their Lives. TEXT OF THE LIFE OFFERING: "My dear Jesus, before the Holy Trinity, Our Heavenly Mother, and the whole Heavenly Court, united with Your most Precious Blood and Your Sacrifice on Calvary, I hereby Offer my whole Life to the Intention of Your Sacred Heart and to the Immaculate Heart of Mary. Together with my life, I place at Your disposal all Holy Masses, all my Holy Communions, all Rosaries, all acts of consecration, all my good deeds, all my sacrifices, and the suffering of my entire life for the Adoration and Supplication of the Holy Trinity, for Unity in our Holy Mother Church, for the Holy Father and Priests, for good Priestly vocations, and for all souls until the end of the world. O my Jesus, please accept my life Sacrifice and my offerings and give me Your grace that I may persevere obediently until my death." Amen. https://www.avemariamaternostra.com/life-offering-promises.html It is recommended that you make this Life Offering as soon as you feel ready, and to renew it from time to time.

Please read the Blessed Mother's promises in the link: those who make it seriously will face no Purgatory (promise 5) since they would have completed it here, will have all their loved ones released from Purgatory the day they offer their life with intent to persevere (promise 4), and can save the souls of all their family members in due time by their life offering (promise 3). It will benefit all souls who have ever lived until time's end (promise 2) A simple effective way for thousands of us to save millions of souls. Inflamed in Large Letters of Love, you will have your name written in the Hearts of Jesus and Mary forever (promise 1).

The following users thanked this post: Maximilian

Offline Quaremerepulisti

• Feldwebel
  • Religion: Catholic (Byzantine)
Re: Endogenous Retroviruses and Evolutionary Games.
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2018, 01:01:18 PM »
Evolutionists cite Endogenous Retroviruses (ERVs) as one of their big evidences in favor of human evolution from monkeys. Creation Scientists have responded to these arguments showing the claim that ERV's (1) have no or limited function (much like the debunked argument about the appendix as a "vestigial" organ, which even many evolutionists now concede is useful) is incorrect and (2) that, building on 1, because they serve no purpose or have limited function (instead of being part of the divine blueprint for intelligent life) the claim that ERV's must be the result of a common descent, or of some fanciful kind of human and non-human inter-breeding, is a simple non sequitur. Common Design - and particularly a special blueprint the Creator chose to follow in designing all life in the instant of its creation - explains the evidence just as well. Also, Creation Scientists correctly predicted ERV's will be found to have important functionality, and empirical research bore this out. How did Creation and ID Theorists get this right, while Evolutionists were mistaken?

Only the ID crowd gets it right, because only they are (at least for the most part) willing to follow the data where it leads, instead of having to fit the data into an a priori determined conclusion as do both materialists and YECs, who must therefore act and debate like lawyers and not as investigators - and they sure do follow the lawyer's motto "when the law and facts are against you, just pound the table as hard as you can", as illustrated by the OP.

Notice the intellectual shell game being played.  When it comes to differences, creationists argue this must be evidence against common descent.  In fact, pretty much all creationist argumentation comes down to that.  But then when it comes to similarities, which, following this logic, should be evidence for common descent, all of a sudden things change and an appeal is made to "common design", a "special blueprint" followed by the Creator as explaining the data just as well.  (Materialists, of course, play the same shell game in reverse.)  A pox on both their houses.  It is substituting "just so stories" - explaining away - for real explanations, and protecting a theory from falsification by making it unfalsifiable.  Since creationism has come to this point, I claim victory.  It is the exact same thing as materialist reliance on a multiverse to explain why physical constants are in the narrow range they must be for the creation of life.

Creationism is now forced into the absurd position of having to argue that the pristine, perfect DNA of the original pairs of humans and apes came complete with viruses already inserted, having given up on insertional hotspots (the odds of ERVs in orthologous locations by means of germline insertions are still astronomical) or arguing that the ERV insertions don't fit the evolutionary phylogeny (they do, the counter-examples are either not in orthologous loci or are explainable due to imperfect lineage sorting).  This is obviously and desperately purely ad hoc.  The only argument that could possibly be made in its favor is functionality for ERVs, which is of course heralded to the skies.

Now, while beneficial functions for some ERVs have been found (such as syncytin for the placenta) this is not true of all ERVs, some of which are likely harmful (such as HERV-K and cancer).  Creationism must argue that either we haven't found the beneficial function for all ERVs, or else they had one at some point and then it was lost, since its explanation for ERVs absolutely hinges upon them having one - and must therefore claim "junk DNA" isn't really junk.  But then what is the creationist explanation for plants and even some microrganisms with genomes many times the size of humans, when humans are more complex?  The only answer is that their genomes are encoding more information than necessary for the generation of their own species and hmmm, where does that lead, I might ask?

Only ID gets it right, as I said, because it sees DNA as a code - and inserting some code fragments might be sometimes helpful, sometimes harmful.

The following users thanked this post: Sen