Author Topic: Ancient "Black Ops": The Varangian Guard  (Read 261 times)

Offline Vetus Ordo

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Wachtmeister
  • Religion: Hopeful Fatalism
Ancient "Black Ops": The Varangian Guard
« on: October 01, 2018, 10:58:45 PM »
Entertaining documentary.

We're speaking of one of the fiercest elite corps of the Medieval age. Absolutely incredible.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 11:38:17 PM by Vetus Ordo »
ΠΙΣΤΟΣ Ο ΛΟΓΟΣ ΚΑΙ ΠΑΣΗΣ ΑΠΟΔΟΧΗΣ ΑΞΙΟΣ, ΟΤΙ ΧΡΙΣΤΟΣ ΙΗΣΟΥΣ ΗΛΘΕΝ ΕΙΣ ΤΟΝ ΚΟΣΜΟΝ ΑΜΑΡΤΩΛΟΥΣ ΣΩΣΑΙ: ΩΝ ΠΡΩΤΟΣ ΕΙΜΙ ΕΓΩ

The following users thanked this post: Heinrich, Optatus

Offline Optatus

• Vizekorporal
  • Religion: Catholic
Re: Ancient "Black Ops": The Varangian Guard
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 10:13:34 AM »
It's interesting to note that the Varangians are [somewhat] beginning to find their way into popular culture. Viking-mania, I guess.

My small contribution, without having watched the video and without knowing a great deal about the subject myself: an enormous proportion of them were actually English, especially during the latter part of their heyday. Anglo-Saxons bailing on Englaland after William the Bastard crossed the English Channel found a new home among the Byzantines.

Offline drummerboy

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
  • Religion: Indomitable Spirit
Re: Ancient "Black Ops": The Varangian Guard
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 11:25:08 AM »
It's interesting to note that the Varangians are [somewhat] beginning to find their way into popular culture. Viking-mania, I guess.

My small contribution, without having watched the video and without knowing a great deal about the subject myself: an enormous proportion of them were actually English, especially during the latter part of their heyday. Anglo-Saxons bailing on Englaland after William the Bastard crossed the English Channel found a new home among the Byzantines.

Damned English, always trying to colonize everybody.... ;)