Author Topic: Ancient "Black Ops": The Varangian Guard  (Read 331 times)

Offline Vetus Ordo

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
  • Religion: The Way
Ancient "Black Ops": The Varangian Guard
« on: October 01, 2018, 10:58:45 PM »
Entertaining documentary.

We're speaking of one of the fiercest elite corps of the Medieval age. Absolutely incredible.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 11:38:17 PM by Vetus Ordo »
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

The following users thanked this post: Heinrich, Optatus

Offline Optatus

• Vizekorporal
  • Religion: Catholic
Re: Ancient "Black Ops": The Varangian Guard
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 10:13:34 AM »
It's interesting to note that the Varangians are [somewhat] beginning to find their way into popular culture. Viking-mania, I guess.

My small contribution, without having watched the video and without knowing a great deal about the subject myself: an enormous proportion of them were actually English, especially during the latter part of their heyday. Anglo-Saxons bailing on Englaland after William the Bastard crossed the English Channel found a new home among the Byzantines.

Offline drummerboy

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
  • Religion: Indomitable Spirit
Re: Ancient "Black Ops": The Varangian Guard
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 11:25:08 AM »
It's interesting to note that the Varangians are [somewhat] beginning to find their way into popular culture. Viking-mania, I guess.

My small contribution, without having watched the video and without knowing a great deal about the subject myself: an enormous proportion of them were actually English, especially during the latter part of their heyday. Anglo-Saxons bailing on Englaland after William the Bastard crossed the English Channel found a new home among the Byzantines.

Damned English, always trying to colonize everybody.... ;)