Author Topic: Working on Sunday?  (Read 186 times)

Offline TLM424

• Hellebardier
Working on Sunday?
« on: September 16, 2018, 07:24:10 AM »
I own an online Etsy shop where I sell baby nursery wall art and decor. Is it a sin to do work on my Etsy shop on Sundays? The type of work that I would be doing is just creating new designs in Photoshop and handling some computer work (like answering questions potential customers have, placing online orders for my inventory, or posting a shop update on social media). All of the work would be done in my living room while with my family. Iím always so unsure about what type of work is/isnít allowed on a Sunday so I figured I would ask here.

Also, is it a sin to pick up coffee at a store or order take out on Sunday?

Thanks! :)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 07:34:31 AM by TLM424 »

Offline Daniel

• Feldwebel
Re: Working on Sunday?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 08:18:06 AM »
I would say:
- Purchasing stuff for your inventory is a sin. (We aren't allowed to buy stuff on Sunday.)
- Answering business-related questions is a sin, and posting business-related updates to Social Media is also a sin. (Both are servile.)
- Buying coffee/ordering takeout is a sin. (Again, we aren't allowed to buy stuff on Sunday.)
- Photoshop work is probably a sin. (It's not servile, but it is for monetary gain.)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 08:20:38 AM by Daniel »

Offline Gardener

• Drink the poison yourself.
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Catholic
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 08:20:05 AM »
Typically the prohibition is against manual labor unless necessary (for example, the cows still *need* to be milked but you don't *need* to repair a fence today that is being unused in a blocked area of pasture), so more cerebral work doesn't fall under that. However, that would only be the "letter" whereas the spirit of the proscription really should tend towards the cessation of all work. But, hobbies which are physically intensive are fine (hiking, shooting, hunting, etc.). Makes no sense, huh? :D

Similarly, purchasing things often are of no need on a Sunday. If a true need arises, it is ok. I have trouble seeing how coffee is a need, but it falls under food:

Food is a more interesting category. Typically, the allowances of food ordering take into account travelers. We can make use of another's sin (working on Sunday), but it's a catch-22: we patronize because they are open; they are open because people patronize.

You're going to get a lot of conflicting answers and ultimately must distinguish on your own, do your own research, ask your pastor, etc.

"And what use are the victories on the battlefield if we are ourselves are defeated in our innermost personal selves?" - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Offline Gardener

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 08:22:32 AM »
I would say:
- Purchasing stuff for your inventory is a sin. (We aren't allowed to buy stuff on Sunday.)
- Answering business-related questions is a sin, and posting business-related updates to Social Media is also a sin. (Both are servile.)
- Buying coffee/ordering takeout is a sin. (Again, we aren't allowed to buy stuff on Sunday.)
- Photoshop work is probably a sin. (It's not servile, but it is for monetary gain.)

Servile work is servile work. You don't get to redefine it to fit the boundaries of a pre-conceived notion. The manualists are very clear on what is and isn't servile, and the things you mention are not.

Further, internet ordering blurs the lines as one could order Saturday and the work done on the other end could take place Sunday. We have no control over the actual timing of the "violation".
"And what use are the victories on the battlefield if we are ourselves are defeated in our innermost personal selves?" - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Offline Sempronius

• Korporal
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 08:53:27 AM »
I was planning on meeting a friend at a coffee shop today before mass. Dont consider that to be a sin. If we were living in Christian culture I would meet him at Church and he would be a believer (sort of at least)

Offline Daniel

• Feldwebel
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 09:10:27 AM »
Servile work is servile work. You don't get to redefine it to fit the boundaries of a pre-conceived notion. The manualists are very clear on what is and isn't servile, and the things you mention are not.
What is the precise definition of "servile"? (From what I've heard (mostly from priests), "servile" just means "the kind of work that a slave would typically do". And slaves traditionally did a lot of different kinds of work, including secretarial duties. So customer service / social media seem to fall into that category.)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 09:17:20 AM by Daniel »

Offline Gardener

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 11:42:51 AM »
One can find a "servant" doing many types of work, but those servants are not necessarily doing servile work, which is essentially manual labor. Hence the epithet, "house slave" -- they were slaves, yes, but they weren't "field" slaves. Otherwise, a doctor mowing the lawn would be doing "doctor" work. Obviously absurd.

Fr. explains, based on the Catechism of the Council of Trent what servile work is at around 10:45

Reading, drawing, clerical (secretarial), music, etc., do not fall under the definition.

See at around 3:30:

The following users thanked this post: Daniel, TLM424, Christe Eleison

Offline TLM424

• Hellebardier
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 02:54:39 PM »
One can find a "servant" doing many types of work, but those servants are not necessarily doing servile work, which is essentially manual labor. Hence the epithet, "house slave" -- they were slaves, yes, but they weren't "field" slaves. Otherwise, a doctor mowing the lawn would be doing "doctor" work. Obviously absurd.

Fr. explains, based on the Catechism of the Council of Trent what servile work is at around 10:45

Reading, drawing, clerical (secretarial), music, etc., do not fall under the definition.

These videos were extremely helpful and it's so much easier to understand now. Thank you so much!

The following users thanked this post: Gardener, Christe Eleison

Offline St.Justin

• Feldwebel
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2018, 10:59:30 PM »
Why do we do this to ourselves? It borders on scruples. In the days of the Catechism this question would never come up as everyone knew where the Church stood
It has always forbidden all unnecessary servile work on all Sundays and Holy Days of Obligation.

Q. 1244. What are holydays of obligation?
A. Holydays of obligation are special feasts of the Church on which we are bound, under pain of mortal sin, to hear Mass and to keep from servile or bodily labors when it can be done without great loss or inconvenience. Whoever, on account of their circumstances, cannot give up work on holydays of obligation should make every effort to hear Mass and should also explain in confession the necessity of working on holydays.

Q. 1252. What is forbidden by the third Commandment?
A. The third Commandment forbids all unnecessary servile work and whatever else may hinder the due observance of the Lord's day.

Q. 1255. Are servile works on Sunday ever lawful?
A. Servile works are lawful on Sundays when the honor of God, the good of our neighbor, or necessity requires them.
http://www.baltimore-catechism.com/lesson32.htm

Here is a link to Father Hardon's explantion: http://www.therealpresence.org/archives/Commandments/Commandments_022.htm

The following users thanked this post: Gardener

Online Kaesekopf

• Enkindle in us the virtues of humility and patience So we too may obediently do your will faithfully.
  • Oberst
  • Major
    • Suscipe Domine
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2018, 11:23:22 PM »

I've always considered "servile work" to be anything that would make me sweat. 

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

The following users thanked this post: St.Justin

Offline Gardener

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2018, 01:16:04 AM »

I've always considered "servile work" to be anything that would make me sweat. 

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

Didn't know you just laid in bed all day Sunday.  :cheeseheadbeer: