Author Topic: Great Fr. Ripperger interview on the Abuse Crisis  (Read 743 times)

Offline Miriam_M

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • Never have been "MiriamB"
  • Religion: Traditional Roman Catholic
Great Fr. Ripperger interview on the Abuse Crisis
« on: September 12, 2018, 08:10:25 PM »
Google YouTube
Fr. Ripperger on the Abuse Crisis and the Theology of the Priesthood

Recorded September 1, 2018

It also appears that I was right about the denying of absolution.  Fr. Ripperger suggests this very thing.

But that's only incidental to the important and main points he brings up.  He discusses modernism as the root of the problem and the essential habitual life of chastity as necessary for ordination.  (Should be barred from religious life and the priesthood.)  Grace of State will not be sufficient to resist the vice or the temptations.

Covers earlier regulations, which specifies: A candidate without firm habit of continency is to be dismissed immediately, including even those with tendencies toward homosexuality or pederasty.  He quotes the 1917 code, too.  Should not even be admitted to seminary, let alone advanced further. 

Discusses:
~heresies as part of cause
~neglect by bishops and insincere apologies
~importance of unblemished sacrifice of the Mass
~homosexuals now in positions of power
~Bella Dodd (The Congressional Record)
~lack of due diligence
~Canon 2359 of 1917 Code  (Canonical crime, requiring dismissal -- but later of course removed from 1983 Canon)
~falsified mercy

The following users thanked this post: Heinrich, maryslittlegarden, mikemac, Xavier, Optatus, Christe Eleison

Offline Christe Eleison

• Mary Garden
  • Wachtmeister
  • Religion: Catholic
Re: Great Fr. Ripperger interview on the Abuse Crisis
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 08:19:42 PM »
Google YouTube

It also appears that I was right about the denying of absolution.  Fr. Ripperger suggests this very thing.

But that's only incidental to the important and main points he brings up.  He discusses modernism as the root of the problem and the essential habitual life of chastity as necessary for ordination.  (Should be barred from religious life and the priesthood.)  Grace of State will not be sufficient to resist the vice or the temptations.

Covers earlier regulations, which specifies: A candidate without firm habit of continency is to be dismissed immediately, including even those with tendencies toward homosexuality or pederasty.  He quotes the 1917 code, too.  Should not even be admitted to seminary, let alone advanced further. 

Discusses:
~lack of due diligence
~Canon 2359 of 1917 Code  (Canonical crime, requiring dismissal -- but later of course removed from 1983 Canon)
~falsified mercy

Thanks, Miriam :)

Is this the one?

The following users thanked this post: Xavier

Offline Miriam_M

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 08:23:12 PM »
Google YouTube

Discusses:
~lack of due diligence
~falsified mercy

Thanks, Miriam :)

Is this the one?

Yep. And the balloon quote about clericalism is also discussed (the irony of it, which means that the most clerically oriented of all are the ones abusing laity and have abused laity and seminarians).  I'm actually not even finished listening to it, as it's 1:22 long and I'm headed to church.

The following users thanked this post: Xavier, Christe Eleison

Offline Traditionallyruralmom

• Mary Garden
  • Wachtmeister
  • Raising warriors for Christ and our country!
  • Religion: Traditional Catholic
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 09:06:00 PM »
Excellent video, watched this last week.  Someone shared the link on FB and I got all giddy inside. Yes, Im an old trad, Fr Ripperger videos make me giddy  :cheeseheadbeer: anyway I was so excited..."Yay!!! Fr Ripperger addressing the crisis, this will be GOOD!"  It did not disappoint.  I had my 18 year old watch it for her Theology class that next day.
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

The following users thanked this post: Elizabeth, Xavier, Christe Eleison

Offline Xavier

• Glory to God in the Highest Heaven, and Peace to His people on Earth of good will.
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
  • Blessed Be the Hour that the Son of God was born!
  • Religion: Catholic Christian
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 12:40:48 AM »
Nice, Miriam. Fr. Ripperger is spot on. The horror of the current situation is some sodomites and pederasts or their enablers are now in high office and want to start justifying the sin and saying homosexual acts are not sinful. This is ultimately what happens when Fr. Ripperger's wise counsel and the provisions of the 1917 canon law are not followed.

NCR is reporting Wuerl is hopefully going to resign. https://www.ncronline.org/news/accountability/clarification-cardinal-wuerl-says-he-will-soon-ask-pope-accept-his-resignation

All who commit pederasty or sodomy should be laicized. Those who defend these crimes and want to change Church teaching to say they are not sins should be excommunicated. It's going to be very hard for our Church to triumph over this but severity against sin is necessary.
Mary, our Heavenly Mother, implores those who receive Holy Communion Daily, or at least Weekly, to Offer their Lives. TEXT OF THE LIFE OFFERING: "My dear Jesus, before the Holy Trinity, Our Heavenly Mother, and the whole Heavenly Court, united with Your most Precious Blood and Your Sacrifice on Calvary, I hereby Offer my whole Life to the Intention of Your Sacred Heart and to the Immaculate Heart of Mary. Together with my life, I place at Your disposal all Holy Masses, all my Holy Communions, all Rosaries, all acts of consecration, all my good deeds, all my sacrifices, and the suffering of my entire life for the Adoration and Supplication of the Holy Trinity, for Unity in our Holy Mother Church, for the Holy Father and Priests, for good Priestly vocations, and for all souls until the end of the world. O my Jesus, please accept my life Sacrifice and my offerings and give me Your grace that I may persevere obediently until my death." Amen. https://www.avemariamaternostra.com/life-offering-promises.html It is recommended that you make this Life Offering as soon as you feel ready, and to renew it from time to time.

Please read the Blessed Mother's promises in the link: those who make it seriously will face no Purgatory (promise 5) since they would have completed it here, will have all their loved ones released from Purgatory the day they offer their life with intent to persevere (promise 4), and can save the souls of all their family members in due time by their life offering (promise 3). It will benefit all souls who have ever lived until time's end (promise 2) A simple effective way for thousands of us to save millions of souls. Inflamed in Large Letters of Love, you will have your name written in the Hearts of Jesus and Mary forever (promise 1).

The following users thanked this post: Traditionallyruralmom, Christe Eleison

Offline Elizabeth

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 01:30:57 AM »
 :pray3:

The following users thanked this post: Xavier, Christe Eleison

Offline Miriam_M

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 01:46:38 AM »
Also, for those who haven't listened to it yet...

It is not dominated by the abuse crisis, although that's a sizable portion of the show.  An equally significant portion -- in amount of time and content -- concerns what Fr. Ripperger calls "the identity of the priest."  The important loss of priestly identity he links correctly to the deliberate erosion of the sense and the reality of hierarchy in the Church and the incursion of the laity into priestly functions which were formerly uniquely his.  The priest has been left so little to shepherd and protect -- reduced as he often is to a ministry vaguely equal to those of lay people.  (Fr. R gave an example of how this manifests even in the New Mass -- with lay "ministers" rushing in just before distribution of HC to seize the hosts; priests are denied the sole privilege of nourishing their flocks and of their primary responsibility to guard the Blessed Sacrament.)

And instead of being perceived and treated like sons of their bishops, priests have been increasingly treated like employees, administrators, and "warm bodies" to fill diocesan vacancies.

All this has left modern priests confused, rudderless, and without uniqueness.  Rather than a vocation, the priesthood is treated as if it's a job like other (secular) jobs, regardless of whatever theology is formally still professed -- a theology that has reduced in importance the unique character or mark of the priest.

Fr. R spoke also of the disappearance of the minor orders in the modern church, noting with exception the restoring of those orders --and the graces accompanying them-- in apostolates like the FSSP and ICKSP.  The most revealing aspect of that was the role of priestly formation of those minor orders -- so that by the time of ordination, the priest has been sequentially formed and ordination is the logical next step in a series of steps. 

Of course he was more articulate than I am here.  It's worth a listen to, once or twice, and not only by those on the forum discerning or committed to a vocation already.  Laity need to hear and appreciate it, too; there's much more that I couldn't cover here.  And any of us who are affiliated with trad apostolates should be especially grateful for our connections with those.

The following users thanked this post: Lynne, Traditionallyruralmom, Xavier, Christe Eleison, carmina laetitiae

Offline Elizabeth

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2018, 03:54:22 PM »
I reckon Father is acutely sensitive to the subtleties of hierarchy in Christ's Church, understanding demons as he does.
Only have listened to a few minutes so far, but he really came out swinging about the dignity of the priestly office.  Quiet and lethal.

The following users thanked this post: Miriam_M, Xavier, Christe Eleison

Offline VeraeFidei

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2018, 09:58:10 PM »

It is not dominated by the abuse crisis, although that's a sizable portion of the show.  An equally significant portion -- in amount of time and content -- concerns what Fr. Ripperger calls "the identity of the priest."  The important loss of priestly identity he links correctly to the deliberate erosion of the sense and the reality of hierarchy in the Church and the incursion of the laity into priestly functions which were formerly uniquely his.  The priest has been left so little to shepherd and protect -- reduced as he often is to a ministry vaguely equal to those of lay people.  (Fr. R gave an example of how this manifests even in the New Mass -- with lay "ministers" rushing in just before distribution of HC to seize the hosts; priests are denied the sole privilege of nourishing their flocks and of their primary responsibility to guard the Blessed Sacrament.)

And instead of being perceived and treated like sons of their bishops, priests have been increasingly treated like employees, administrators, and "warm bodies" to fill diocesan vacancies.

All this has left modern priests confused, rudderless, and without uniqueness.  Rather than a vocation, the priesthood is treated as if it's a job like other (secular) jobs, regardless of whatever theology is formally still professed -- a theology that has reduced in importance the unique character or mark of the priest.

Fr. R spoke also of the disappearance of the minor orders in the modern church, noting with exception the restoring of those orders --and the graces accompanying them-- in apostolates like the FSSP and ICKSP.  The most revealing aspect of that was the role of priestly formation of those minor orders -- so that by the time of ordination, the priest has been sequentially formed and ordination is the logical next step in a series of steps. 

Of course he was more articulate than I am here.  It's worth a listen to, once or twice, and not only by those on the forum discerning or committed to a vocation already.  Laity need to hear and appreciate it, too; there's much more that I couldn't cover here.  And any of us who are affiliated with trad apostolates should be especially grateful for our connections with those.
Pray tell, in what real way have the FSSP or ICRSS (ICKSP is not a thing) restored the Minor Orders? Restoring the Minor Orders would mean having men ordained into those Orders outside of as a stepping-stone to the Priesthood, as Trent suggested.

Offline Miriam_M

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2018, 12:19:37 AM »

Pray tell, in what real way have the FSSP or ICRSS (ICKSP is not a thing) restored the Minor Orders? Restoring the Minor Orders would mean having men ordained into those Orders outside of as a stepping-stone to the Priesthood, as Trent suggested.

It's near the end of the YouTube interview.  I don't consider myself an authority on the particular question you ask; I do consider Fr. Ripperger an authority on particular matters, so the explanation best comes from him.

The following users thanked this post: Xavier

Offline The Harlequin King

• Feldwebel
    • Modern Medievalism
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2018, 12:38:39 PM »

In the Institute's defense, at least they have the Clerical Oblates program (which I had some interest in joining years ago, but they never got back to me): http://www.institute-christ-king.org/vocations/oblates/

I think even many regular parishioners of Institute apostolates don't know the Clerical Oblates exist, though.

The following users thanked this post: Kaesekopf, Xavier, Christe Eleison

Offline Kaesekopf

• Enkindle in us the virtues of humility and patience So we too may obediently do your will faithfully.
  • Oberst
  • Major
    • Suscipe Domine
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2018, 12:48:25 PM »

In the Institute's defense, at least they have the Clerical Oblates program (which I had some interest in joining years ago, but they never got back to me): http://www.institute-christ-king.org/vocations/oblates/

I think even many regular parishioners of Institute apostolates don't know the Clerical Oblates exist, though.

Milwaukee has one of the best! 
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

The following users thanked this post: Traditionallyruralmom, Xavier, Christe Eleison

Offline Miriam_M

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2018, 01:38:54 PM »

I'm not aware of one Institute parishioner in several parishes who is not aware.

The following users thanked this post: Traditionallyruralmom

Offline The Harlequin King

• Feldwebel
    • Modern Medievalism
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2018, 01:48:21 PM »
I'm not aware of one Institute parishioner in several parishes who is not aware.

That's a good sign, then!

Offline Traditionallyruralmom

• Mary Garden
  • Wachtmeister
  • Raising warriors for Christ and our country!
  • Religion: Traditional Catholic
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2018, 10:36:18 AM »
Milwaukee has one of the best!

My children have a lasting impression of Abbe George  :D
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

The following users thanked this post: Miriam_M, Christe Eleison