Author Topic: Three Jewish witnesses: She will crush your head, in Gen 3:15  (Read 2169 times)

Offline Xavier

• Eternal Father, We Offer You the Precious Blood of Your Divine Son, Jesus, In Union with the Holy Masses throughout the world this month, for all the Holy Souls in Purgatory, for sinners everywhere, those who are going to die today, those in my family.
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
  • Indian Catholic
    • Marian Apostolate Life Offering.
  • Religion: Catholic Christian (Roman Rite Latin Traditionalist)
Re: Three Jewish witnesses: She will crush your head, in Gen 3:15
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2019, 11:10:12 PM »
Thanks, PatronofHeaven. Good post.

Yes, Josephus, Maimonides and others, interpret she will crush as referring to Eve. Catholic Faith, of course, assures us it refers to the New Eve, namely our Blessed Mother Mary. The text cannot refer to old Eve because she was not the One Who crushed the enemy but was deceived by him. The Protestant KJV translated as "it" because they were uncertain.

Just imagine if Protestants had the translation right, "She will crush your head ...". That may just help crush their Protestantism! And bring them back to the Church. Anyway, one reason God willed to crush the Serpent by His Mother's Heel is to humble his pride to the utmost.

"As St. Louis de Montfort9 wrote: “Satan, being proud, suffers infinitely more from being beaten and punished by a little and humble handmaid of God, and her humility humbles him more than the divine power.” https://missiomagazine.com/shall-crush-head-genesis-315/

Satan and his devils cause and exacerbate all the sins and evils in the world. God's promise is an assurance Our Lady will defeat them.

Mary, our Heavenly Mother, implores those who receive Holy Communion Daily, or at least Weekly, to Offer their Lives. TEXT OF THE LIFE OFFERING, adapted and pluralized: Dear Lord Jesus, before the Holy Trinity, Our Heavenly Mother, and the whole Heavenly Court, united with Your most Precious Blood and Your Sacrifice on Calvary, We hereby Offer our whole Lives to the Intention of Your Sacred Heart and to the Immaculate Heart of Mary. Together with our life, we place at Your disposal all Holy Masses, all our Holy Communions, all Rosaries, all acts of consecration, all our good deeds, all our sacrifices, and the suffering of our entire life for the Adoration and Supplication of the Holy Trinity, for Unity in our Holy Mother Church, for the Holy Father, Pope Francis the First; and for His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI. For His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and His Holiness Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople, that they may re-unite their flocks with the Catholic Church, and there may soon be but One Fold and One Shepherd. For all the Cardinals of the Holy Roman Church, for all Bishops of the Universal Church that they may be true Apostles and Shepherds; and for Priests, Nuns and Monks, for good Priestly and Religious Vocations, and for All Souls until the end of the world. O my Jesus, please accept our life Sacrifice and our offerings and give us Your grace that we may all persevere obediently until death. Amen." https://marianapostolate.com/life-offering/ Please pray this daily and you and your family will be saved. You will avoid Purgatory.

Daily Morning Offering: O my God, in union with the Immaculate Heart of Mary,  I offer Thee the Precious Blood of Jesus from all the Altars  throughout the world, joining with It the offering of my every thought, word, and action of this day. I desire to gain every Indulgence and Merit I can, offering them, together with myself, to Mary Immaculate, Whom Thou hast appointed the dispenser of the merits of Thy Precious Blood, especially by means of this Scapular  [Here kiss your Brown Scapular] that She may best apply them to the interests of Thy Most Sacred Heart. Amen.

Consecration to Our Blessed Mother: My Queen, my Mother! I give myself entirely to Thee, and to show my devotion to Thee I consecrate to Thee this day, my eyes, my ears, my mouth, my heart, my whole being without reserve, Wherefore, good Mother, as I am Thine own, keep me, guard me, as Thy property and possession." http://www.catholictradition.org/Mary/morning-offering.htm

"I am the Lady of the Rosary. Pray the Rosary (i.e. 15 decades; 5 decades is a part of the Rosary) every day to obtain Peace for the World." ~ Our Lady of the Rosary of Fatima.

The following users thanked this post: PatronOfHeaven

Offline PatronOfHeaven

• Hellebardier
  • Religion: Catholic in full communion
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2019, 12:41:29 AM »
I find it interesting though that even in Josephus' works there is a war over the interpretation of Genesis 3:15.

Thomas Lodge translated the first english version from the Latin and French in London in 1602 and wrote. 
"... declaring him an enemy both to man and woman; whom he commanded to bruise the head of the serpent,..."

Ebenezar Thompson, from the "Original Greek" in 1777
"...branded him as the avowed enemy of mankind; further predicting, that Eve should tread upon his head,..."

What if Thomas Lodge mis-punctuated his translation and the right rendering is
"... declaring him an enemy both to man(kind); and THE woman whom he commanded to bruise the head of the serpent,..."

Either way, both of these translations make reference to a feminine subject (woman/Eve), which the Whiston translation, the Thackeray translation and the Feldman translation all omit.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 12:48:52 AM by PatronOfHeaven »

The following users thanked this post: Xavier

Offline aquinas138

• Wachtmeister
  • Māran etraḥam 'lay!
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2019, 02:58:37 PM »
I find it interesting though that even in Josephus' works there is a war over the interpretation of Genesis 3:15.

Thomas Lodge translated the first english version from the Latin and French in London in 1602 and wrote. 
"... declaring him an enemy both to man and woman; whom he commanded to bruise the head of the serpent,..."

Ebenezar Thompson, from the "Original Greek" in 1777
"...branded him as the avowed enemy of mankind; further predicting, that Eve should tread upon his head,..."

What if Thomas Lodge mis-punctuated his translation and the right rendering is
"... declaring him an enemy both to man(kind); and THE woman whom he commanded to bruise the head of the serpent,..."

Either way, both of these translations make reference to a feminine subject (woman/Eve), which the Whiston translation, the Thackeray translation and the Feldman translation all omit.

The Thompson is more interesting, but I'm still at a loss as to where he gets it. I already mentioned that the Latin editions of Josephus support the Vulgate reading (I am inclined to think this is due to a harmonization with the Western scriptures), so Lodge's reading is unsurprising. If Thompson is actually from the original Greek, that is interesting, but Whiston and Thackeray aren't omitting this — their Greek text does not say it, and so their translation is accurate.

As to your speculation about punctuation in Lodge, it's not just a matter of fiddling with punctuation (which Josephus and ancient translations would not have used anyway); the endings of the words would have to be completely different to support your speculation. I don't have the Latin edition handy, so I can't make a comment about how much would have to be changed.
O unashamed intercessor of Christians, ever loyal advocate before the Creator, do not disregard the prayerful voice of sinners but in your goodness hasten to assist us who trustfully cry out to you: Intercede always, O Mother of God, in behalf of those who honor you!

The following users thanked this post: Vetus Ordo, PatronOfHeaven

Offline Maximilian

• Hauptmann
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2019, 10:40:43 PM »
Here is a fascinating video:

It has lots of interesting information on a range of Biblical subjects. I learned a lot.

But most of all it points out that there were good motives for the Jews to corrupt the Masoretic text. St. Paul refers to Jews in his own day who were falsifying genealogies in order to discredit Jesus as the new High Priest.

The following users thanked this post: Padraig, Xavier

Offline Gardener

• Drink the poison yourself.
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Catholic
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2019, 03:23:09 PM »
Do we know that the Jews were falsifying genealogies for that particular reason (Jesus as new High Priest), or if they were referencing the given genealogies in regards to Joseph or Mary and contending with them as such? When did maternal lineage become a determination for Jewish identity, and what, if any, effect would that have on Levitical/Melchizedech claims?

The argument in the video stems from a theory it seems, and he is using Paul to justify the theory. But what proof is there that such a theory was what Paul was referencing?
"And what use are the victories on the battlefield if we are ourselves are defeated in our innermost personal selves?" - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Providence is a present mystery by which our hope is confirmed and our faith solidified, if we give not into despair or disbelief.

Woe is me, because I have held my peace. Isaiah 6

Offline Kreuzritter

• Wachtmeister
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2019, 01:24:46 PM »
There are all sorts of shenanigans in the Old Testament, and not just in the Masoretic like with Psalm 110 (109) verse 3.

Take this one from Isaiah 6:13

"Yet   וְעֹ֥וד
(ve·'o·vd)
there will be a tenth portion   עֲשִׂ֣רִיָּ֔ה
(a·si·ri·yah,)
in it, And it will again   וְשָׁ֖בָה
(ve·sha·vah)
be [subject] to burning,   לְבָעֵ֑ר
(le·va·'er;)
Like a terebinth   כָּאֵלָ֣ה
(ka·'e·lah)
or an oak   וְכָאַלֹּ֗ון
(ve·cha·'al·lo·vn)
Whose   אֲשֶׁ֤ר
(a·sher)

stump   
remains when   

it is felled.   בְּשַׁלֶּ֙כֶת֙
(be·shal·le·chet)
The holy   קֹ֖דֶשׁ
(ko·desh)   
seed   זֶ֥רַע
(ze·ra)
is its stump.

Yup. That tenth portion remaining bit and it being burned again doesn't make sense. But when you compare Asherah אֲשֵׁרָ֑ה which would more likely have been Ashratah with "a·si·ri·yah" and "a·sher", and consider the "Asherah" in the temple was the image of a tree which was indeed burned, you're presented with a text that begins to make perfect sense, and when you start thinking about the Tree of Life imagery surrounding Mary and Jesus as the holy seed and fruit of her womb, and that le·va·'er can also refer to consuming by eating, you'd better get ready to take a trip down the rabbit hole. But I don't want to speculate, and thanks to the New Testament of the body and blood of Jesus Christ resotred ot the temple, I don't need to.

If they falsified things AFTER Jesus, and before him  they "corrected" things like Genesis 18:22 on record, what else did they do to the texts? A jot here. A little there. Vowels and single letters were absolutely fair game as per the Temple Scribes' own rules. But who even knows, and who knows the full story of what went on with Hezekiah, the reforms of Josiah, and the disappearance of the kings and political ascendancy of the Levitical priest caste.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 01:31:31 PM by Kreuzritter »

The following users thanked this post: Xavier

Offline Padraig

• Vizekorporal
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2019, 07:02:24 PM »
Here is a fascinating video:

It has lots of interesting information on a range of Biblical subjects. I learned a lot.

But most of all it points out that there were good motives for the Jews to corrupt the Masoretic text. St. Paul refers to Jews in his own day who were falsifying genealogies in order to discredit Jesus as the new High Priest.

That was one of the most fascinating things I've ever seen. It's always incredible when something that never would have crossed your radar completely changes your view on a subject.

The following users thanked this post: Maximilian, Xavier