Author Topic: Is it lawful to pray for the Baptism of Aborted and other dying Babies?  (Read 662 times)

Offline Geremia

• Feldwebel
    • St. Isidore e-book library
  • Religion: Roman Catholic

Offline Traditionallyruralmom

• Mary Garden
  • Wachtmeister
  • Raising warriors for Christ and our country!
  • Religion: Traditional Catholic
Re: Is it lawful to pray for the Baptism of Aborted and other dying Babies?
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2019, 07:52:49 PM »
As a mom of a little boy who died at 20 weeks, I take comfort in what was said by St. Bernard of Clairveuax. He wrote to a couple that had a miscarriage. In response to their question, “What is going to happen to my child? The child didn’t get baptized,” St. Bernard said, “Your faith spoke for this child. Baptism for this child was only delayed by time. Your faith suffices. The waters of your womb — were they not the waters of life for this child? Look at your tears. Are they not like the waters of baptism? Do not fear this. God’s ability to love is greater than our fears. Surrender everything to God.”
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 07:54:27 PM by Traditionallyruralmom »
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

The following users thanked this post: mikemac, Xavier, carmina laetitiae, TheReturnofLive

Offline Graham

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Wachtmeister
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2019, 10:19:02 PM »
Yet Dr. Ludwig Ott wrote, "Other emergency means of baptism for children dying without sacramental baptism, such as prayer and the desire of the parents or the Church (vicarious baptism of desire—Cajetan), or the attainment of the use of reason in the moment of death, so that the dying child can decide for or against God (baptism of desire—H. Klee), or suffering and death of the child as quasi-Sacrament (baptism of suffering—H. Schell), are indeed possible, but their actuality cannot be proved from Revelation. Cf. Denzinger 712." Ludwig Ott, Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma, Book 2, Section 2, § 25 (p. 114 of the 1963 edition).

I would like to know where I can read Klee's opinion in more depth. I independently came to this view about a year ago and didnt know it was a theological opinion cited in Ott. It would be interesting to read Klee's reasoning.

The following users thanked this post: Xavier

Offline Geremia

• Feldwebel
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2019, 03:26:48 PM »
As a mom of a little boy who died at 20 weeks, I take comfort in what was said by St. Bernard of Clairveuax. He wrote to a couple that had a miscarriage. In response to their question, “What is going to happen to my child? The child didn’t get baptized,” St. Bernard said, “Your faith spoke for this child. Baptism for this child was only delayed by time. Your faith suffices. The waters of your womb — were they not the waters of life for this child? Look at your tears. Are they not like the waters of baptism? Do not fear this. God’s ability to love is greater than our fears. Surrender everything to God.”

Cdl. Cajetan, O.P., whom I quoted here, argues along the same lines. He writes that "parvulos in maternis uteris periclitantes posse salvari" ("children in peril in the mother's womb can be saved"):
Quote from: Cdl. Cajetan, O.P.
Posse autem salvari dico per sacramentum baptismi, non in re, sed in voto parentum susceptum, cum aliqua benedictione prolis seu oblatione ipsius ad Deum, cum invocatione Trinitatis.
[I say the child can be saved by the sacrament of baptism, not in re, but received in voto of the parents, with some blessing of the child or offering him to God, invoking the Trinity.]
(1917 Code of Canon law cans. 746-748 is along the same spirit.)
In support of this, he gives two arguments: (1) God's mercy provides for man in any state he may be in, and (2) since they can be martyred (baptized by blood), it is reasonable that the parents' will can also bring them to the same end.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 03:57:09 PM by Geremia »

The following users thanked this post: Xavier

Offline Geremia

• Feldwebel
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2019, 07:23:14 PM »
What's your source for this?