Author Topic: Eastern Liturgical Chants...now in Gregorian!  (Read 404 times)

Offline Livenotonevil

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Wachtmeister
  • Lord, Save Me!
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Inquirer
Eastern Liturgical Chants...now in Gregorian!
« on: July 07, 2018, 12:50:54 PM »
So, there exists a canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Monastery in British Columbia, and some monks there have taken it upon themselves to take the most typical hymns of the Byzantine services and translate it into Gregorian chant.

Now, there are a few stipulations -
1. In the music sample they have provided, they have chosen to chant it with two voices, using ison (the droning voice, which in the East, serves as the guide of the chanter)
2. It's in English
3. The music sheets they have translated it to use a more contemporary notation, rather than the traditional Gregorian notation.

Volume 1:
https://www.archdiocese.ca/sites/default/files/orthodox_liturgical_hymns_in_gregorian_chant.pdf

Volume 2:
https://www.archdiocese.ca/sites/default/files/vol_2_-_orthodox_liturgical_hymns_in_gregorian_chant.pdf

Volume 1 (audio album):
https://thechoir.bandcamp.com/album/orthodox-hymns-in-gregorian-chant

Volume 2 (audio album);
https://thechoir.bandcamp.com/album/orthodox-hymns-in-gregorian-chant-vol-2
May God forgive me for my consistent sins of the flesh and any blasphemous and carnal desire, as well as forgive me whenever I act prideful, against the desire of my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, to be a Temple of the Holy Spirit.

Offline VeraeFidei

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
  • Religion: Catholic
Re: Eastern Liturgical Chants...now in Gregorian!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 02:21:54 PM »
Why? The Ukrainians hardly need more Latinizations. The Byzantine liturgy is not "improved" by being Latinized, and for the most part, Byzantines retain their liturgical traditions to a degree that puts us Westerners to shame.

Why not assist their Latin brethren to learn Old Roman chant instead?

Offline Livenotonevil

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Wachtmeister
  • Lord, Save Me!
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 04:58:36 PM »
I don't think that there are any plans for any kind of mass implementation in the Ukrainian Orthodox liturgies - in the Orthodox Church, there are a few Western-Rite Orthodox parishes, that use a modified version of the Tridentine Mass and the old Book of Common Prayer to match Orthodox theology, and perhaps this translation makes it more useful for said parishes to greater collaborate with one another, primarily in liturgical services.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 05:00:29 PM by Livenotonevil »
May God forgive me for my consistent sins of the flesh and any blasphemous and carnal desire, as well as forgive me whenever I act prideful, against the desire of my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, to be a Temple of the Holy Spirit.

Offline aquinas138

• Wachtmeister
  • Māran etraḥam 'lay!
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 08:30:55 AM »
It's certainly an interesting exercise, but I think I'm with VeraeFidei. Settings of things like the Our Father or Cherubikon are one thing, since many churches use multiple settings anyway, so what's one more, but I don't understand the material from the Octoechos. Presumably a church already has fixed music for each tone I'm not sure when this would be used.
O unashamed intercessor of Christians, ever loyal advocate before the Creator, do not disregard the prayerful voice of sinners but in your goodness hasten to assist us who trustfully cry out to you: Intercede always, O Mother of God, in behalf of those who honor you!

Offline Prayerful

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Catholic
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 12:32:52 PM »
Interesting.

Another, but possibly more worrisome mingling is that some Eastern Orthodox liturgies used for the West insert an Orthodox Epiclesis into the Roman Canon. The Holy Ghost was not specifically invoked in the Roman Canon, Canon is Canon, and that's that. Fr Hunwicke mentions it, so I'm not making it up.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Offline Livenotonevil

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Wachtmeister
  • Lord, Save Me!
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 12:53:21 PM »
Interesting.

Another, but possibly more worrisome mingling is that some Eastern Orthodox liturgies used for the West insert an Orthodox Epiclesis into the Roman Canon. The Holy Ghost was not specifically invoked in the Roman Canon, Canon is Canon, and that's that. Fr Hunwicke mentions it, so I'm not making it up.

I'm aware of the added Epiclesis, and it's minute controversy, although I think it's a better safe than sorry approach, despite the debates in Orthodoxy about this. In Eastern Orthodoxy, we believe that from the moment of the invocation of the Holy Spirit onward, we are of certainty that the Eucharist is truly the Body and Blood of Christ, and the Liturgy must be finished from that point onwards.

The original Epiclesis of the Roman Mass is still in the Tridentine Mass, although God is invoked directly rather than the Holy Spirit, in the portion "Supplices te Rogamus."

Here's the Liturgy of Saint Gregory that is in use in both Antioch and ROCOR

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/144b2c_20fb156e03c34f56a6dc312f73f9888d.pdf