Author Topic: Light Show In Montreal Church - Yay or Nay?  (Read 158 times)

Offline dymphna17

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • Be still and know that I am God
Light Show In Montreal Church - Yay or Nay?
« on: May 15, 2018, 04:09:42 PM »
At the website linked below you will find a video of the Notre-Dame Basilica in Montreal, Canada.  They have created a light show called Aura, that they say is accompanied by an orchestral arrangement.  The music accompanying the video is not an orchestra, so I'm not sure what the music in the church is like.  Anyway, just the little bit that this video shows, I thought was amazing.  They originally did this to celebrate the 375th anniversary of Montreal's founding. They were trying to highlight the beauty of the basilica.  I don't think it's "mocking God" as some have put it.  As all things that are placed in our churches are supposed to do, I thought it would definitely lift our hearts to the Lord, as they say.  Technology put to good use imo.  But there are quite alot of Traditionalists who are very upset about it.  What do you all think?

https://www.facebook.com/InTheKnowPresentsAOL/videos/1830056100630222/
ن
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

“Don’t waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you’ll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master.”– Mother Angelica

Offline Kaesekopf

• Enkindle in us the virtues of humility and patience So we too may obediently do your will faithfully.
  • Oberst
  • Major
    • Suscipe Domine
  • Religion: Catholic
Re: Light Show In Montreal Church - Yay or Nay?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 05:33:40 PM »
I think that is pretty and acceptable, so long as the Blessed Sacrament is removed.

However, I could do without the lazer lights.  They didn't seem to add much.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

The following users thanked this post: dymphna17, St. Columba

Offline St. Columba

• Wachtmeister
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 05:49:18 PM »
This is fascinating!  I am going to be in Montreal in a few weeks, and I was pondering this exact question!  Should I go or not?

My (trad) pastor was against it.  I am on the fence. I think the show goes beyong mere accentuation of the art, and in that sense, it does seem a tad profane.

Do you see persons wise in their own eyes?  There is more hope for fools than for them. Proverbs 26:12

The following users thanked this post: dymphna17

Offline LausTibiChriste

• #ImpeachFrancis2018
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • sip sip
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 05:53:36 PM »
Maybe I'm a curmudgeon but I'm completely against anything except Mass (or sacraments), or sermons, or praying in a Church.

MANY Churches in Europe have concerts at night - small 'symphonies' play Mozart, Beethoven, Dvorak etc....even that pisses me off. It's a Church not a bloody concert hall. Europe isn't lacking in palaces, have the concerts in there FFS.
‎"Traditionalists are some of the worst modernists on the planet"
     -Fr. Chad Ripperger

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"
     -Wayne Gretzky
          -Michael Scott

The following users thanked this post: Stubborn, dymphna17, Lynne

Offline LausTibiChriste

• #ImpeachFrancis2018
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • sip sip
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 05:54:52 PM »
That being said, that Basilica is beautiful and Montreal is the best town in Canada by far. With the best hockey team. By far. Lots of Catholic history to explore there and nearby.
‎"Traditionalists are some of the worst modernists on the planet"
     -Fr. Chad Ripperger

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"
     -Wayne Gretzky
          -Michael Scott

Offline jovan66102

• La foi Catholique d'abord! La mort à l'Islam!
  • Wachtmeister
  • La foi Catholique d'abord! La mort à l'Islam!
    • Musings of an Old Curmudgeon
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 06:06:52 PM »
Churches have been used as concert halls and stages for religious plays for centuries. I just hope the Blessed Sacrament is removed from the Altar during the performance.
Jovan-Marya Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” St Bernard of Clairvaux
https://musingsofanoldcurmudgeon.blogspot.com/

The following users thanked this post: Kaesekopf, dymphna17, Carleendiane

Offline lauermar

• "Fasten your seat belts, it's going to be a bumpy night!" from 'All About Eve' (1950).
  • Wachtmeister
  • Baby Boomer
  • Religion: Traditional Diocesan Catholic
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2018, 08:27:24 PM »
I like it.
"I am not a pessimist. I am not an optimist. I am a realist." Father Malachi Martin (1921-1999)

Offline Non Nobis

• By my staff!
  • Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 11:39:26 PM »
Not so much. Seems a little too much like Hollywood special effects and Disneyland (which have their place, but not in a Catholic traditional Church).  I guess I'm a curmudgeon too.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 11:41:52 PM by Non Nobis »
Children say that people are hung sometimes for speaking the truth.

If I am not in the state of grace, may God put me there; and if I am, may God so keep me

- Saint Joan of Arc

The following users thanked this post: dymphna17, LausTibiChriste, Lynne

Offline martin88nyc

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 11:33:15 AM »
IMO this is inappropriate. I personally find it disturbing and New Agey but it's just me. Too much "razzle-dazzle" in a luminous sense. The name AURA makes me cringe a bit. How do you know there is no subliminal effect like hypnosis of some sort? Illuminati have been really good at it.
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

The following users thanked this post: Stubborn

Offline Little Girl of Mary

• Hellebardier
  • Religion: Traditional Catholic (FSSP)
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2018, 08:28:54 AM »
I think it looks really cool and I get the idea the creators had good intentions at heart.  That being said, the major issue is that this is simply distracting from the true purpose of being in the Church in the first place.  It could also be an issue to sell tickets, indicating that this is meant to be entertainment. 

It's a common problem in the Church today.  We are so good at coming up with activities to attract people into our Churches... But the content is often forgotten.