Author Topic: March for Life's founding  (Read 644 times)

Offline Jacob

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Wachtmeister
March for Life's founding
« on: January 17, 2018, 07:41:37 PM »
I'm looking for websites or book recommendations for in-depth info on the founding of March for Life.  Most everywhere I've looked so far has just, "Nellie Grey founded it."

Thanks!
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”
--Neal Stephenson

Offline Non Nobis

• Why are you fearful?
  • Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
Re: March for Life's founding
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 07:49:35 PM »
Here's something on their history:  http://marchforlife.org/history-of-the-march-for-life/
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Offline Jacob

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Wachtmeister
Re: March for Life's founding
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 07:54:49 PM »
Here's something on their history:  http://marchforlife.org/history-of-the-march-for-life/

I just saw that today, yeah.  The relevant part:

Soon after that first March in 1974, it became apparent that congressional protection for the unborn was not on the horizon. Instead of sitting on the sidelines, Nellie decided that the March for Life, rather than the originally anticipated one-time event, would instead be held every year until Roe v. Wade was overturned. That year, the March for Life became incorporated as an action-oriented non-profit organization, and the “Life Principles” were developed as the underlying guideline of the organization.

With Nellie’s leadership, the March continued to grow and develop each year. Nellie was an ever-faithful voice for the most vulnerable in society, working to protect the preborn until her last hours of life. While each March for Life has faced a unique challenge or obstacle, the numbers of participants have continued to grow. Below are some highlights of the dedication of pro-lifers over the past forty years:

I'm looking for details, not hagiography. :)
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”
--Neal Stephenson

The following users thanked this post: Kaesekopf