Author Topic: ??? Cast iron fry pans???  (Read 949 times)

Offline Carleendiane

• Mary Garden
  • Major
  • all aboard the "struggle bus"
  • Religion: Traditional Catholic
??? Cast iron fry pans???
« on: September 23, 2017, 11:54:49 AM »
Made breakfast today using cut iron pans as usual. My pan, midsize, cracked from the heat I presume. Should I have eased it up to temp. Or, are electric stoves not friendly to cast iron? Does cast iron require a flame to heat it, instead of the pull out units on some electric stoves?
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

Offline kayla_veronica

• Mary Garden
  • Wachtmeister
  • Religion: Catholic
Re: ??? Cast iron fry pans???
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 12:11:48 PM »
I use mine on an electric stove. I've never heard any warnings against it. Was the pan cold when you turned the burner on?
May the most holy, most sacred, most adorable,
most incomprehensible and ineffable Name of God
be forever praised, blessed, loved, adored
and glorified in Heaven, on earth,
and under the earth,
by all the creatures of God,
and by the Sacred Heart of Our Lord Jesus Christ,
in the Most Holy Sacrament of the Altar.
Amen.

The following users thanked this post: Carleendiane

Offline Carleendiane

• Mary Garden
  • Major
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 12:22:36 PM »
I use mine on an electric stove. I've never heard any warnings against it. Was the pan cold when you turned the burner on?

Not "cold" but room temp. Plus it is near 80 here, so not actually cold.
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

Offline MundaCorMeum

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 12:24:03 PM »
That's weird.  I've never seen one break....my Mom used them daily, and I use them often, too.  I dropped one on my tile floor once, and it cracked the tile!

Offline The Curt Jester

• Water-drinker at the Coffee Social
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Wachtmeister
  • Religion: Neo-Pelagian Angry Traditionalist with Narcissistic Tendencies
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 01:09:23 PM »
I have seen cast iron pans used on electric stoves for my entire life and have never seen one that cracked.
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

Offline Heinrich

• Steig mal auf den Berg hinauf
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Gott, wende Dich zu uns und gib uns neues Leben
  • Religion: römisch-katholisch
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 01:10:19 PM »

Not "cold" but room temp. Plus it is near 80 here, so not actually cold.

And 45 minutes from me, it'll  be snowy.

Never heard of cast iron cracking, but the new alloys from China are just not like grandpa's cast iron.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

The following users thanked this post: dymphna17, Carleendiane

Offline Carleendiane

• Mary Garden
  • Major
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 01:54:30 PM »
Thanks Curt, Heinrich, makes me wonder if it wasn't cracked, but I didn't know it, and finished the Crack during use. Anyway, I do feel better about using them on my electric stove.  :)

Offline PerEvangelicaDicta

• Contemplare et contemplata aliis tradere
  • Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 04:01:08 PM »
Never heard of cast iron cracking, but the new alloys from China are just not like grandpa's cast iron.

Paula Deen cast iron cookware was recalled for this reason, I believe?  Made in China.

CD, I've not had it happen to me, but I understand that it's not uncommon.  I found this comment on Gardenweb:

There are many reasons why a cast iron skillet inexplicably cracks.

Poor quality control in manufacturing, natural crytaline formation defects, excessive impacts in handling, extreme thermal stresses, etc.

Cast iron, being a non-ductile material, in the daily thermal cycling of cooking, any minute microscopic fissure will start to propergate thru a process known as metal fatique, and eventually fail catastrophically.

To some degree, cast iron can be annealed or hardened, depending on your cooking habits. Something I do which I would not recommend to anyone else to try. I buy cheap cast iron cookware, heat it up red hot and pour cold water in it. If it didnÂt crack, them I heat it up again in an oven and let it cool down as slowly as possible to anneal any internal stress.

In your case, if the skillet is of great value to you, there are places actually can repair it for you.
They shall not be confounded in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be filled
Psalms 36:19

The following users thanked this post: Heinrich, Carleendiane

Offline Older Salt

• Ora Pro Nobis Sancta dei Genitrix.
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
  • Pray for the Dead.
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2017, 04:03:28 PM »
Found porcelain pans work well.
Stay away from the near occasion of sin

Unless one is deeply attached to the Blessed Virgin Mary, now in time, it impossible to attain salvation.

Offline Gardener

• Drink the poison yourself.
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2017, 11:39:22 PM »
I always ease my cast iron into heat. I start on low, when pan is warm, move to medium.

Electric stoves heat much faster than gas and this can lead to things like warping or even cracking.

I also don't use new pans. I get old ones at thrift stores and garage sales and refurbish them.
LENT: Sunday only

"And what use are the victories on the battlefield if we are ourselves are defeated in our innermost personal selves?" - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Providence is a present mystery by which our hope is confirmed and our faith solidified, if we give not into despair or disbelief.

Woe is me, because I have held my peace. Isaiah 6

Offline St. Drogo

• Korporal
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2017, 09:15:10 PM »
There had to be a hairline crack in it already. Cast iron is relatively brittle. Older cast iron is superior primarily because of the smooth finish, which doesn't conceal casting imperfections. You don't need to baby cast iron (it's a myth that cast iron shouldn't be washed with soap—those black bits that you scrub off after cooking are usually carbonized food, not seasoning, which consists of nonporous polymerized hydrocarbons).

The following users thanked this post: Carleendiane, PerEvangelicaDicta

Offline Carleendiane

• Mary Garden
  • Major
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2017, 09:32:24 PM »
There had to be a hairline crack in it already. Cast iron is relatively brittle. Older cast iron is superior primarily because of the smooth finish, which doesn't conceal casting imperfections. You don't need to baby cast iron (it's a myth that cast iron shouldn't be washed with soap—those black bits that you scrub off after cooking are usually carbonized food, not seasoning, which consists of nonporous polymerized hydrocarbons).

Thank you St Drogo. My pan , as far as I know, is not new. It is second hand, as I have bought all my pans. I pick them up at second hand stores. I guess that is no guarantee, but it may be considered possibly old. My thought is that it WAS cracked. My first thought. And I have never cleaned off the "seasoning" of my pans by using soap, so I agree. If I can get by with no soap, I will. I can scrub with only water and keep a mild grease film. This is the seasoning. Never found the need to "season" a pan. But it also makes sense to heat up more slowly, a cold pan. Again, it would not have split without a crack. Just want to avoid this in the future.

Offline St. Drogo

• Korporal
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2017, 11:13:28 PM »
I was saying the opposite. You should properly season a pan when you get it (thin coats of lard at 450 for 30 minutes, four such treatments will yield you a good season) and DO use soap—but avoid using a steel scrubber. After the initial seasoning, regularly cooking in it is enough to maintain the season. After you wash it, make sure to dry it properly and apply a very thin coat of canola (too thick will yield a weak polymer that will flake, undoing your good work). As far as slow heating is concerned, that is advisable, but not for the sake of preventing cracks. You should put a heavy cast iron skillet on low heat for at least five minutes in order to guard against hot spots when cooking.

The following users thanked this post: Carleendiane, PerEvangelicaDicta

Offline Carleendiane

• Mary Garden
  • Major
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2017, 08:45:06 AM »
I get it now. Glad that's straight. *sheesh*   :) Good advice which I appreciate.

Offline Gardener

• Drink the poison yourself.
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2017, 09:45:20 AM »
I was saying the opposite. You should properly season a pan when you get it (thin coats of lard at 450 for 30 minutes, four such treatments will yield you a good season) and DO use soap—but avoid using a steel scrubber. After the initial seasoning, regularly cooking in it is enough to maintain the season. After you wash it, make sure to dry it properly and apply a very thin coat of canola (too thick will yield a weak polymer that will flake, undoing your good work). As far as slow heating is concerned, that is advisable, but not for the sake of preventing cracks. You should put a heavy cast iron skillet on low heat for at least five minutes in order to guard against hot spots when cooking.

Not entirely true... cast iron can experience thermal shock.

I've found this source to be a great help in my foray into Cast Iron:
http://www.castironcollector.com/damage.php
LENT: Sunday only

"And what use are the victories on the battlefield if we are ourselves are defeated in our innermost personal selves?" - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Providence is a present mystery by which our hope is confirmed and our faith solidified, if we give not into despair or disbelief.

Woe is me, because I have held my peace. Isaiah 6