Author Topic: Depictions of the Assumption  (Read 313 times)

Offline carmina laetitiae

• Mary Garden
  • Hellebardier
  • Religion: Catholic
Depictions of the Assumption
« on: February 03, 2019, 10:13:09 PM »
Hey all,
I realized earlier today that in most depictions of the Assumption I've seen, the Virgin Mary's head is uncovered whereas in most other depictions of her, her head is covered. Anyone know why this is the case - any symbolism involved? Thanks.

Offline John Lamb

• Feldwebel
  • Religion: Catholic
Re: Depictions of the Assumption
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 08:39:47 AM »
Possibly in preparation for her coronation as Queen of Heaven. Also, a woman's veil has a lot to do with the authority of her earthly husband over her & protection from the eyes of other men, neither of which issues exist in heaven. As a whole, I think it would represent the glory of God descending directly upon her head & her glorification in general, and that through her Assumption she has surpassed the nature of a woman and human nature in general.
As many as received him, he gave them power to be made the sons of God, to them that believe in his name. (John 1:12)

The following users thanked this post: Lynne, Josephine87, carmina laetitiae

Offline Lynne

• happy to be Catholic!
  • Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • We're all special snowflakes
  • Religion: Catholic (SSPX)
Re: Depictions of the Assumption
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 12:11:49 PM »
Hey all,
I realized earlier today that in most depictions of the Assumption I've seen, the Virgin Mary's head is uncovered whereas in most other depictions of her, her head is covered. Anyone know why this is the case - any symbolism involved? Thanks.

Excellent observation!
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael’s Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

“My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you’re supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen.”