Author Topic: «Who Are You, O Immaculata?» by Fr. Karl Stehlin, SSPX  (Read 3331 times)

Offline Geremia

• Feldwebel
    • St. Isidore e-book library
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
Re: «Who Are You, O Immaculata?» by Fr. Karl Stehlin, SSPX
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2017, 12:48:08 PM »
I've never heard of a book being published concurrently by two publishers.
It occurs. It all depends on the publishing contracts.

Offline Gardener

• Drink the poison yourself.
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Catholic
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2017, 12:49:05 PM »
I'm not gonna support theft.
Even if they are infringing copyright, copyright infringement is not theft.
I highly doubt Fr. Stehlin shipped off his manuscript to random publishers to print at will.
Why do you doubt that? He cares more about dissemination of his work than making a profit off it. That's exactly what the letter you posted here from Kolbe Pub. said.

Geremia, that is the most circular response in the world. "It's true because they say it is"... um, what?

If Kolbe Publications has such proof aside from mere assertion, and they obviously read this forum to have known I wrote on it, then they can darn well come on here and give the proof.

Also, if I were a business owner/operator, I'd appreciate my exact words being quoted. I wouldn't call foul.

See this post by Gardener re this topic.  The book is not infringing copyright. 
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 02:51:02 PM by Kaesekopf »
"And what use are the victories on the battlefield if we are ourselves are defeated in our innermost personal selves?" - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Providence is a present mystery by which our hope is confirmed and our faith solidified, if we give not into despair or disbelief.

Woe is me, because I have held my peace. Isaiah 6

Offline Geremia

• Feldwebel
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2017, 12:57:14 PM »
Geremia, that is the most circular response in the world.
I fail to see how you reason from "two publishers publish/print this work" to "one of the publishers must be infringing copyright".

Offline Geremia

• Feldwebel
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2017, 12:59:05 PM »
I highly doubt Fr. Stehlin shipped off his manuscript to random publishers to print at will.
Fr. Stehlin runs the MI Traditional Observance from Asia. Using Asian publishers makes sense.

Offline Gardener

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2017, 01:08:29 PM »
Because Loreto is the publisher and Kolbe Publications has not demonstrated they have rights to publish.

I've contacted Loreto to ask if they know whether or not Kolbe is an authorized publisher.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 02:51:08 PM by Kaesekopf »
"And what use are the victories on the battlefield if we are ourselves are defeated in our innermost personal selves?" - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Providence is a present mystery by which our hope is confirmed and our faith solidified, if we give not into despair or disbelief.

The following users thanked this post: Kaesekopf

Offline Lynne

• happy to be Catholic!
  • Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • We're all special snowflakes
  • Religion: Catholic (SSPX)
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2017, 01:18:05 PM »
Because Loreto is the publisher and Kolbe Publications has not demonstrated they have rights to publish.

I've contacted Loreto to ask if they know whether or not Kolbe is an authorized publisher.

Thank you. Not to mention that the fact that the pdf linked in the first post is a type of theft. It's depriving the original publisher of their portion of the profit. Why would anyone bother to publish a book if another company can also come along and publish the same book as if it is their own?
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael’s Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

“My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you’re supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen.”

Offline Geremia

• Feldwebel
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2017, 06:13:00 PM »
Not to mention that the fact that the pdf linked in the first post is a type of theft.
Hyperlinking to copyrighted files is not theft; neither is, as I've mentioned, copyright infringement theft (which some here groundlessly accuse Kolbe Publications of doing).

Here is a good definition of theft:
A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it
Are you accusing Kolbe Publications of trying to permanently deprive Loreto of something? Why?

It's depriving the original publisher of their portion of the profit.
I've given the publishers free advertising. Also, my posting it has resulted in readers of this thread buying harcopies of the book.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 06:16:35 PM by Geremia »

Offline Geremia

• Feldwebel
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2017, 06:22:54 PM »
And if Loreto Pub. says Kolbe Pub. is not, why would you believe Loreto Pub.? Are you worried Kolbe Pub.'s version isn't authentic? That it might contain alterations (errors or heresies) not in the "authentic version"?

Offline Gardener

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2017, 08:14:35 PM »
reply from Loreto:

"As far as I know Loreto is the only authorized publisher.
Fr. Stehlin has told me of no others.

I will check with Fr. Stehlin.

Thanks for alerting me."
--
And if Loreto Pub. says Kolbe Pub. is not, why would you believe Loreto Pub.? Are you worried Kolbe Pub.'s version isn't authentic? That it might contain alterations (errors or heresies) not in the "authentic version"?

My guess would be they took a Loreto book, ran it through an OCR scan (which yes, without careful proofreading could result in errors), and reprinted.

Loreto was the original publisher, and they will be asking Fr. Stehlin.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 02:51:18 PM by Kaesekopf »

Offline Kaesekopf

• Enkindle in us the virtues of humility and patience So we too may obediently do your will faithfully.
  • Oberst
  • Major
    • Suscipe Domine
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2017, 12:11:06 AM »

Well, one company is established and well-known, the other has a basic website and is questionable. 

So, yea, I'd take Loreto's word over Kolbe's, especially due to the unprofessional behavior of Kolbe.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Offline Lynne

• happy to be Catholic!
  • Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2017, 04:54:06 AM »

When have there been 2 publishers with valid rights to a book?

People can't just scoop up books with current (unexpired) copyrights and produce a copy themselves to publish.

It's a totally different situation if the book is in the public domain, i.e. the original copyright expired. That's not the case here.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 05:01:05 AM by Lynne »
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael’s Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

“My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you’re supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen.”

Offline Lynne

• happy to be Catholic!
  • Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2017, 04:59:03 AM »
Not to mention that the fact that the pdf linked in the first post is a type of theft.
Hyperlinking to copyrighted files is not theft; neither is, as I've mentioned, copyright infringement theft (which some here groundlessly accuse Kolbe Publications of doing).

Here is a good definition of theft:
A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it
Are you accusing Kolbe Publications of trying to permanently deprive Loreto of something? Why?

Of course they are! They(Kolbe) have NO rights to the book.

It's depriving the original publisher of their portion of the profit.
I've given the publishers free advertising. Also, my posting it has resulted in readers of this thread buying harcopies of the book.

You didn't give the publishers (Loreto) free advertising. It was not mentioned in your post.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 02:51:28 PM by Kaesekopf »

Offline Gardener

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2017, 09:13:47 PM »
UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE
I have egg on my face folks!

I heard back from Loreto, who had contacted Fr. Stehlin.

This is what they said:
Yes I have spoken to Father. He is now the District Superior in Asia.
He authorized the publication there for his market in Asia.
I still distribute the edition we publish.

I immediately wrote to Kolbe Publications' sales contact after work, apologizing and told her I would do my best to make this right.

She clarified that Kolbe Publications is run by Fr. Stehlin and is assisted by her (I would assume a few others as well), the MI.

I offered to donate money to the apostolate, but she suggested instead perhaps a purchase or two.

I also plan to make a separate thread so this clarification does not get lost in the thread, lest people only read the first portion and never get to the truth of the matter.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 11:16:48 PM by Gardener »

Offline martin88nyc

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2017, 11:05:30 PM »
UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE
I have egg on my face folks!

I heard back from Loreto, who had contacted Fr. Stehlin.

This is what they said:
Yes I have spoken to Father. He is now the District Superior in Asia.
He authorized the publication there for his market in Asia.
I still distribute the edition we publish.

I immediately wrote to Kolbe Publications' sales contact after work, apologizing and told her I would do my best to make this right.

She clarified that Kolbe Publications is owned/operated by Fr. Stehlin and is assisted by her (I would assume a few others as well).

I offered to donate money to the apostolate, but she suggested instead perhaps a purchase or two.

I also plan to make a separate thread so this clarification does not get lost in the thread, lest people only read the first portion and never get to the truth of the matter.
Buy us all a copy and we'll consider you absolved. ;)
The Kolbe Publications' book is out of stock BTW. :(
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 11:22:50 PM by martin88nyc »
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Offline Lynne

• happy to be Catholic!
  • Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2017, 05:02:57 AM »
Thanks for following up on this, Gardener!