Author Topic: Question about the 15-decade Rosary  (Read 1232 times)

Online Daniel

• Feldwebel
Question about the 15-decade Rosary
« on: April 28, 2017, 08:51:41 PM »
I just read The Secret of the Rosary and was a little surprised to hear St. Louis say that it's best to split the 15-decades into 3 groups of 5 decades and pray throughout the day. (Before that I always just assumed you were supposed to pray it all at once.)

But I've got a question. Not sure whether he explained this or not, but, normally a 15-decade rosary is like this:
- Creed
- Our Father
- Hail Mary (x3)
- Glory Be
- 5 decades of joyful mysteries
- 5 decades of sorrowful mysteries
- 5 decades of glorious mysteries
- Hail Holy Queen
- unnamed Oremus

So, how exactly do we divide this up? Is it like this?

(morning)
- Creed
- Our Father
- Hail Mary (x3)
- Glory Be

(midday)

(evening)
- Hail Holy Queen
- unnamed Oremus

Or, is it like this?

(morning)
- Creed
- Our Father
- Hail Mary (x3)
- Glory Be
- Hail Holy Queen
- unnamed Oremus

(midday)
- Creed
- Our Father
- Hail Mary (x3)
- Glory Be
- Hail Holy Queen
- unnamed Oremus

(evening)
- Creed
- Our Father
- Hail Mary (x3)
- Glory Be
- Hail Holy Queen
- unnamed Oremus

Basically, I'm wondering if we pray those extra prayers before and after each sets of 5 decades (so it's basically 3 separate 5-decade rosaries), or just once each day while sandwiching everything between them (so it's like a 15-decade rosary with huge gaps in it)?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 09:06:43 PM by Daniel »

The following users thanked this post: angelcookie, Lynne, Gardener

Offline tradne4163

• Wachtmeister
  • Religion: Roman Catholic (trad mixed with Eastern leanings)
Re: Question about the 15-decade Rosary
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 06:43:54 PM »
Hmmm... I'm not sure to be honest. I suppose it is whichever way you prefer.

On a side note, the collect at the end is taken from the Feast of the Holy Rosary. I can't help but chuckle at the thought of Catholics reciting a prayer from the Traditional Mass at the end of their rosaries while otherwise not wanting to have anything to do with it.
Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.

Take any post I write with a grain of salt. I've been wrong before, and can be again

The following users thanked this post: Daniel

Offline aquinas138

• Wachtmeister
  • Παναγία Τριάς, ἐλέησον ἡμᾶς!
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 06:51:52 PM »
I would pray the beginning and ending prayers every time I pray some portion of the Rosary. If the Rosary is the "layman's Office," this would make the most sense to me, as the opening and closing prayers are said at each hour of the Divine Office, even if several are said together. But note that the particular prayers said before and after the decades vary a great deal in different parts of the world, so it is really the decades that truly make up the Rosary - the rest is devotion governed by custom.
O Theotokos; thou art the true vine that hath blossomed forth for us the Fruit of Life. Thee do we supplicate:  Intercede, O Lady, together with the holy apostles, that our souls find mercy.

The following users thanked this post: Kaesekopf, Daniel, Christe Eleison

Offline Kaesekopf

• Enkindle in us the virtues of humility and patience So we too may obediently do your will faithfully.
  • Oberst
  • Major
    • Suscipe Domine
  • Religion: Catholic
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 07:07:10 PM »
I would pray the beginning and ending prayers every time I pray some portion of the Rosary. If the Rosary is the "layman's Office," this would make the most sense to me, as the opening and closing prayers are said at each hour of the Divine Office, even if several are said together. But note that the particular prayers said before and after the decades vary a great deal in different parts of the world, so it is really the decades that truly make up the Rosary - the rest is devotion governed by custom.

I've honestly not come across people who pray all three sets of mysteries in a day.  (Who has time?) 

However, I've always seen people recommend beginning and ending the set of mysteries with the opening and closing, like Daniel has listed as his "second" option.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

The following users thanked this post: Daniel

Offline Greg

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Major
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 07:12:07 PM »
5 decades takes 15 minutes.  15 plus all that other stuff would take 1 hour.

The following users thanked this post: Lynne, Prayerful, Josephine87, Christe Eleison

Offline Gardener

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 07:16:23 PM »

I always hear this, and have images of the Irish speed rosary, like the Micromachine Man.

For me to pray 5 decades alone takes 30 minutes. We pray it as a family in about 25.

Offline MundaCorMeum

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 08:37:20 PM »

I always hear this, and have images of the Irish speed rosary, like the Micromachine Man.

For me to pray 5 decades alone takes 30 minutes. We pray it as a family in about 25.

It takes us more like 20-25 minutes, as well.

Offline aquinas138

• Wachtmeister
  • Παναγία Τριάς, ἐλέησον ἡμᾶς!
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 10:48:22 PM »

I've honestly not come across people who pray all three sets of mysteries in a day.  (Who has time?) 

However, I've always seen people recommend beginning and ending the set of mysteries with the opening and closing, like Daniel has listed as his "second" option.

I don't usually pray the Rosary, but if you said it instead of the Office, it wouldn't be so bad. It would be similar in length to Divino Afflatu Matins and Lauds, I would think. Finding time for 15 decades and the Office could be difficult. But I roll Byzantine - just Compline can be a good 30-40 minutes.
O Theotokos; thou art the true vine that hath blossomed forth for us the Fruit of Life. Thee do we supplicate:  Intercede, O Lady, together with the holy apostles, that our souls find mercy.

The following users thanked this post: Kaesekopf

Offline Kaesekopf

• Enkindle in us the virtues of humility and patience So we too may obediently do your will faithfully.
  • Oberst
  • Major
    • Suscipe Domine
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 10:52:08 PM »

I don't usually pray the Rosary, but if you said it instead of the Office, it wouldn't be so bad. It would be similar in length to Divino Afflatu Matins and Lauds, I would think. Finding time for 15 decades and the Office could be difficult. But I roll Byzantine - just Compline can be a good 30-40 minutes.

I interchange the Office and rosary depending on the day.  I'm a bad Catholic.  :lol:
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

The following users thanked this post: aquinas138

Offline Greg

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Major
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 01:56:39 AM »
15 minutes is what it took my family when I was young.  Each took it in turns said 5 decades, no frills.

My brother packed his family's 5 decades out and it ended up taking 35-40 minutes.  When I visited my knees used to ache.  Over the years it got added to and got longer and longer.  The bit at the end with hymns, litanies, etc used to take as long as the Rosary.  Guess it depends what you are used to.

Let's face it, many of use here could find the time, if we wanted to.

The following users thanked this post: Lynne, MundaCorMeum, aquinas138, Josephine87, Christe Eleison

Offline Prayerful

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2017, 03:15:31 PM »
5 of an evening, 15 mins, but an hour all through once a week. Decently pronounced Latin can be said very quickly (say hearing Low Mass 30 mins inc prayers ordered by Leo XIII with very quick, well pronounced Latin) and is another way of keeping the correct pace. The excruciating slow Rosary of some just becomes tiring for me. However, people are different. The aim of prayer through steady concentration and words pronounced in a steady tone can transport a person to a certain spiritual state. Worries fall away. The time or rate of prayer for that varies.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

The following users thanked this post: Kaesekopf, Lynne