Author Topic: Marian Hymns  (Read 2198 times)

Offline Bernadette

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
Marian Hymns
« on: September 28, 2016, 09:22:06 PM »
Here's one of my absolute favorites:

Offline Kaesekopf

• Enkindle in us the virtues of humility and patience So we too may obediently do your will faithfully.
  • Oberst
  • Major
    • Suscipe Domine
  • Religion: Catholic
Re: Marian Hymns
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 03:52:51 PM »
I'm a fan of the Dominican Salve... 

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Offline Bernadette

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 05:00:15 PM »
The nuns I visited sang this every night at Compline. :)

The following users thanked this post: Kaesekopf

Offline Kaesekopf

• Enkindle in us the virtues of humility and patience So we too may obediently do your will faithfully.
  • Oberst
  • Major
    • Suscipe Domine
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 06:22:48 PM »

Awesome. 

Have you read about the Salve procession and its origins

Since the time of St. Bernard, the Salve Regina (Hail Holy Queen) has been sung by religious in monasteries throughout the world in honor of the Blessed Mother. In 1221, very soon after the death of St. Dominic, Bl. Jordan of Saxony instituted a procession after Compline, which was to accompany the singing of the Salve. This was done in response to a crisis in the community. In Bologna at this time, several Dominican houses were having trouble with assaults from the devil, and a certain brother by the name of Bernard was suffering acutely. His difficulty caused disturbance to the whole community. It was decided to invoke the aide of our Heavenly Mother. The Salve was thereafter sung in procession, seeking the Blessed Motherís special protection. Immediately, peace was restored to the monastery. The practice of the Salve procession spread rapidly to other Dominican houses, as well as to other religious orders in the Church.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

The following users thanked this post: Heinrich

Offline Heinrich

• Der hat einen Rosenkranz und steht jetzt als Arbeiter bei
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • "Hebst du doch, Geck?" Schlank und eisig.
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2016, 08:29:13 PM »
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 08:30:53 PM by Heinrich »
Pray for the Consecration.                           
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Bear in mind that the more the enemy assaults you, God is closer to your soul." --St. Padre Pio

Offline martin88nyc

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2016, 08:44:31 PM »

My favorite hymn. I only like to sing Salve Regina after Mass, don't know why.
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Offline Bernadette

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2016, 09:50:57 PM »

Awesome. 

Have you read about the Salve procession and its origins

Since the time of St. Bernard, the Salve Regina (Hail Holy Queen) has been sung by religious in monasteries throughout the world in honor of the Blessed Mother. In 1221, very soon after the death of St. Dominic, Bl. Jordan of Saxony instituted a procession after Compline, which was to accompany the singing of the Salve. This was done in response to a crisis in the community. In Bologna at this time, several Dominican houses were having trouble with assaults from the devil, and a certain brother by the name of Bernard was suffering acutely. His difficulty caused disturbance to the whole community. It was decided to invoke the aide of our Heavenly Mother. The Salve was thereafter sung in procession, seeking the Blessed Motherís special protection. Immediately, peace was restored to the monastery. The practice of the Salve procession spread rapidly to other Dominican houses, as well as to other religious orders in the Church.

Yes, the sisters would process through the cloisters and back into the choir, singing this and "O Lumen Ecclesiae," and then the Prioress would bless them. It's such a beautiful tradition.  :)

The following users thanked this post: Kaesekopf

Offline Kaesekopf

• Oberst
  • Major
    • Suscipe Domine
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2016, 10:17:03 PM »
Yes, the sisters would process through the cloisters and back into the choir, singing this and "O Lumen Ecclesiae," and then the Prioress would bless them. It's such a beautiful tradition.  :)

The O Lumen is so beautiful.

Offline abc123

• Wachtmeister
  • Religion: Reformed
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2016, 06:04:09 AM »

My favorite hymn. I only like to sing Salve Regina after Mass, don't know why.

My favorite as well. I recently spent time at a Russian Orthodox monastery and they actually chant this after Compline. It is a tradition that the current abbot started.

Offline PerEvangelicaDicta

• Contemplare et contemplata aliis tradere
  • Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 07:21:45 PM »
outstanding thread!
They shall not be confounded in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be filled
Psalms 36:19