Author Topic: Change External DVD Drive to Region 2?  (Read 1259 times)

Offline Bernadette

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
Change External DVD Drive to Region 2?
« on: March 27, 2016, 11:39:13 PM »
I'd like to get a cheap external DVD drive to watch European movies on, that way I could order them from ebay and Amazon, and not have to pay the outrageous prices for the US versions.

My question is: is it possible to change the region on any external DVD drive? Does it depend on the drive itself, or on your computer?
"Make merry, and be glad: for this thy brother was dead, and is come to life again; he was lost, and is found."

Offline Kaesekopf

• Enkindle in us the virtues of humility and patience So we too may obediently do your will faithfully.
  • Oberst
  • Major
    • Suscipe Domine
  • Religion: Catholic
Re: Change External DVD Drive to Region 2?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 11:41:13 PM »
I think you need to buy an appropriate region drive.   Unsure if you can do it with software.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Offline Bernadette

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 11:57:18 PM »
Oh, bummer. I know you can change the built-in drive, via Device Manager, but only a certain number of times. I was hoping to solve the problem by having a dedicated region-2 drive.  :-\
"Make merry, and be glad: for this thy brother was dead, and is come to life again; he was lost, and is found."

Offline Gardener

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 12:12:30 AM »

Offline Bernadette

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 12:17:08 AM »
supposedly this works: http://www.wisebread.com/make-your-dvd-player-region-free-in-seconds

Never tried.

I would do that, and hook the DVD player up to my computer monitor, but I don't see any ports on the monitor. So...  :-\ The most important factor is doing this on the cheap.  ;)

Offline Pheo

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 10:27:13 AM »
I have all sorts of Region 2 DVDs - if you're willing to play them on a computer, VLC player seems to just ignore the region.
Son, when thou comest to the service of God, stand in justice and in fear, and prepare thy soul for temptation.

Offline Prayerful

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Catholic
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 04:21:23 PM »
I think you need to buy an appropriate region drive.   Unsure if you can do it with software.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

A fair few drives allow a limited number of region changes, that's the case with the ones I have.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Offline Bernadette

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 06:28:36 PM »
I have all sorts of Region 2 DVDs - if you're willing to play them on a computer, VLC player seems to just ignore the region.

Indeed, it does!  ;D I installed it last night, and tested it with my DVD of Coal House. Success. :thumbsup: Now I can indulge my love of British historical reality series, unhampered by Youtube's limited selection.