Author Topic: Anyone here ever used Scrum on a project?  (Read 1466 times)

Online Lynne

• Thankful to be Catholic!
  • Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Catholic
Anyone here ever used Scrum on a project?
« on: February 29, 2016, 01:28:32 PM »
The company I work for (am a contractor at) is going to be piloting the use of Scrum as a tool. The cynic in me says this is just a new toy which will be thrown aside in a few years. But I'm wondering if anyone has worked with this and has some thoughts on it.

Thanks!
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael’s Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

“My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you’re supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen.”

Offline Mac_Benny

• Vizekorporal
Re: Anyone here ever used Scrum on a project?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 01:52:03 PM »
The company I work for (am a contractor at) is going to be piloting the use of Scrum as a tool. The cynic in me says this is just a new toy which will be thrown aside in a few years. But I'm wondering if anyone has worked with this and has some thoughts on it.

Thanks!

An old toy, DevOps is the new buzzword. Yes you should learn Agile and Scrum. Then start reading up on the gobbly-gook that is DevOps.

Almost any modern software dev shop uses Agile and Scrum method of development process.

Online Lynne

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 01:57:44 PM »

Thanks!

An old toy, DevOps is the new buzzword. Yes you should learn Agile and Scrum. Then start reading up on the gobbly-gook that is DevOps.

Almost any modern software dev shop uses Agile and Scrum method of development process.

Thanks! I may look into getting certified as a Scrum Master.  :laugh:
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael’s Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

“My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you’re supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen.”

Offline Gardener

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 08:40:23 AM »
It's Sunday, so I I don't consider this a violation of my Lenten self-ban...

We have scrum teams and masters at work. I don't have them in my specific job role, but we deal with them and one of our former teammates is now a scrum master.

They're essentially project management who use a variety of methods which differ from the older style. More proactive in communication w/ other teams, directing their team, and running defense for their team members.

To be honest, I think the term is overused for the amount of explaining which is done about it (hardly any).

Here's a good breakdown on Scrum vs Agile:

http://www.onedesk.com/scrum-methodology-vs-agile-methodology/

As best as I can gather and pull out of the ST's/SM's, they facilitate a more organic, reactive project experience which results in a faster completion of tasks. Less constrained, they are able to be quick in their application of principles which mitigate the slowness of the previously staunch corporate model.

"Fly by the seat of their pants" teams is just too wordy. :)

Online Lynne

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 10:51:29 AM »
I just saw your response, Gardner.  ::) Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 10:54:27 AM by Lynne »