Author Topic: Release of new edition of John Daly's book: Michael Davies - an Evaluation.  (Read 2108 times)

Offline Stefan

• Hellebardier
John S. Daly has recently brought out a new edition of his 1984 book: Michael Davies - An Evaluation. This 2015 is available for download here:

http://www.novusordowatch.org/michael-davies-evaluation.pdf

Daly, now 57, is a graduate of Cambridge University and a long time Traditional Catholic. He now lives in France with his family and publishes Traditional Catholic material.

Offline Prayerful

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Catholic
Michael Davies enraged the latterly demoted Abp Bugnini by showing that the author of the anti-Mass was a Freemason for English readers. 'Calumniator' was one word he used in response. Now an Italian writer Tito Casini first provided public evidence of this, but Davies removed most of the doubt on the topic. No doubt Pope Paul VI had more when his foremost liturgist Abp Bugnini was effectively exiled as Pro-Nuncio to Iran.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Offline Kaesekopf

• Enkindle in us the virtues of humility and patience So we too may obediently do your will faithfully.
  • Oberst
  • Major
    • Suscipe Domine
So, why would I want to read this book?  What are some interesting bits?  Etc
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Offline tradical

• Wachtmeister
    • Tradicat
or why shouldn't one read the book?

Mr. Daly is a sedevacantist and the book is putting that thesis forward.

Here's a summary of his position from which he is criticizing Mr. Davies:

In summary, his position is that:
(i) Heresy, strictly so-called, is found in several documents of the synod held in 1962-1965 known as the Second Vatican Council, in the texts of the revised liturgy introduced in the Council’s wake and in many of the pronouncements of those who have apparently succeeded Pope Pius XII.
Quote from: Tradical
In order for it to be heresy of the first order, a dogma has to be been contravened. Mr. Daly typically works around this by elevating doctrine to the level of dogma on his own authority.
(ii) By Divine law and Canon Law all those who manifest conscious assent to heresy automatically (ipso facto) cease to be members of the Catholic Church, forfeit whatever offices they may once have had in her, and have no more valid authority over Catholics than the Dalai Lama, the Chief Rabbi, the President of the United States or the kinglet of an undiscovered heathen island in the South Pacific.
Of course he ignores that it needs to be in the public forum and that the person in question needs to be admonished in order to be considered as no longer a member of the Catholic Church
(iii) This clearly applies to the papal claimants of the Vatican II era and to the great bulk of the Vatican II hierarchy and clergy.
In order to make this assertion Mr. Daly is disgarding / reimaging the doctrine of dogmatic facts that comes into play when all the Bishops of the Catholic Church accept a recently elected Bishop as the Pope. Not to mention how the Church deals with heretics.
(iv) The new sacramental formulæ used by the Conciliar Church for the Eucharist (vernacular versions), episcopal “Ordination”, and Extreme Unction (“sacrament of the sick”) are invalid, and in the case of diaconal and priestly Ordination, the Eucharist (Latin version) and Confirmation, probably invalid also.
This is another deviation from the doctrine of indefectibility.
(v) Movements and initiatives among those known as traditional Catholics are often wanting in any doctrinal foundation, fail to understand even the basics of the current situation in the Church, claim a lawfulness that is entirely unfounded and not infrequently founder in heresy or schism making them little better than the Conciliar Church from which they pose as a refuge.
In this case he is painting everyone else into a corner without realizing that he is not in the center of the room and therefore equally in a corner - albeit a different one. 
(vi) All the foregoing can be demonstrated from indisputable Catholic authorities.
Carefully selected to ignore other authorties the disconfirm Mr. Daly's thesis.

This post belongs in the Sedevacantist section of the forum.

P^3

P^3
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 08:55:09 PM by tradical »
P^3
Prayer
Penance
Patience

My Blog: http://tradicat.blogspot.ca/

Offline Kaesekopf

• Enkindle in us the virtues of humility and patience So we too may obediently do your will faithfully.
  • Oberst
  • Major
    • Suscipe Domine
So, basically, a guy wants to promote SVism, and is using Davies as a "hook" to get folks to read his works?
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Offline tradical

• Wachtmeister
    • Tradicat
So, basically, a guy wants to promote SVism, and is using Davies as a "hook" to get folks to read his works?

I hadn't thought of that.

Not certain of what spawned the first edition.

P^3
P^3
Prayer
Penance
Patience

My Blog: http://tradicat.blogspot.ca/

Offline matt

• Vizekorporal
Would this be the same John Daly mentioned in this private members statement?

https://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/prod/parlment/hansart.nsf/V3Key/LA20050920026