A Computer

Started by poche, February 19, 2013, 12:50:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

poche

I have never bought a computer. What advice can any of you give me?

Gottmitunsalex

"Nothing is more miserable than those people who never failed to attack their own salvation. When there was need to observe the Law, they trampled it under foot. Now that the Law has ceased to bind, they obstinately strive to observe it. What could be more pitiable that those who provoke God not only by transgressing the Law but also by keeping it? But at any rate the Jews say that they, too, adore God. God forbid that I say that. No Jew adores God! Who say so? The Son of God say so. For he said: "If you were to know my Father, you would also know me. But you neither know me nor do you know my Father". Could I produce a witness more trustworthy than the Son of God?"  St. John Chrysostom  Sunday Homily

"The two goals of the Jews: The universal domination of the world and the destruction of Catholicism, out of hatred for Christ" --Mgr. Jouin

voxxpopulisuxx

Dont go to best buy.  The best place is a small local computer repair shop...if it well run and organised...advertises etc. They will have great support and could fine tune the computer for your needs . Dells were always dependable for me...Running windows XP.
Lord Jesus Christ Most High Son of God have Mercy On Me a Sinner (Jesus Prayer)

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." – Christopher Columbus
911!
"Let my name stand among those who are willing to bear ridicule and reproach for the truth's sake, and so earn some right to rejoice when the victory is won. "— Louisa May Alcott

"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world."St. Arnold (580-640)

Geocentrism holds no possible atheistic downside.

Bonaventure

"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

voxxpopulisuxx

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." – Christopher Columbus
911!
"Let my name stand among those who are willing to bear ridicule and reproach for the truth's sake, and so earn some right to rejoice when the victory is won. "— Louisa May Alcott

"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world."St. Arnold (580-640)

Pheo

Quote from: voxxpopulisuxx on April 01, 2013, 03:53:20 PM
Quote from: Bonaventure on April 01, 2013, 11:56:32 AM
Quote from: Gottmitunsalex on February 19, 2013, 12:58:34 AM
Windows 7.

I've only heard bad things about it.
its better than 8!!!!!!!!!!!!

This man speaks the truth.  I tried Windows 8 out on a non-touchscreen laptop...I came dangerously close to punching it.  It looks like it was designed for tablets.  And I use the term "designed" loosely.  More like "thrown together."
Son, when thou comest to the service of God, stand in justice and in fear, and prepare thy soul for temptation.

voxxpopulisuxx

you cant find any of the regular stuff like PROGRAMS! Its not set up like a tablet its set up like a darn PHONE...the thing that craps the most is you cant buy a new laptop without it unless you pay a premium...at least thats what happened to my poor mom who just figured out how to use 7 when she broke her laptop...all the woman wants to do is email, play fun games and surf.

911!

poche

I have seen some computers in the loccal pawn shop. What do you all think? 

Mono no aware

Quote from: poche on June 11, 2013, 02:39:19 AM

Considering that you've managed to be a prolific poster here, poche, in the five months since you first considered purchasing a computer, I'm of the opinion that you don't really need a computer.  Whatever method you've been using (work? library? telepathy?) seems to be serving you just fine.  Why waste money on a computer?

How about (instead) a nice, handsomely framed, autographed picture of Anna Kournikova at Wimbledon in 1999?  To Poché, it would say—my always-smiling Christian friend.  Keep on living the gospel.  Love, Anna K.

Archer

Poche, I would suggest www.bestbuy.com as a good starting place.  I'm sure from there you can branch out to other stores depending on what brand or type of computer you're looking for. 
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

maryslittlegarden

I bought one at a thrift shop a few years back.  It worked fine, but I didn't need something very fancy.  That said, you would need to be very careful.  The store that I bought from will label the item if it works (and if it doesn't work.) 
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

james03

I suggest getting a local shop to put together a computer.  I'd recommend Ubuntu Linux as the operating system (it is free).  The local shop will put it together.   Gives you Firefox web browser and a mail client for your emails.  Pretty much bullet proof.  Also, it will tell you when new updates are available and ask you if you want to update.  Finally, there are not a lot of computer viruses that target this system, so you don't have to be concerned about that.

Depending on your needs, I'd recommend saving money by asking for an I-5 processor.  Get 4 GB ram.  Get high speed ram.  Discuss this with the shop.  Depending on what you use the computer for, you might want to get (2) hard drives and ask the shop to set it up to run automatic back ups.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

OzarkCatholic

Once you go Mac, you'll never go back  ;)

[spoiler]This is coming from an IT guy at an engineering University.[/spoiler]
Feels like Groundhog Day again.

Bonaventure

Quote from: OzarkCatholic on June 28, 2013, 09:07:42 PM

You are a smart man
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

LouisIX

Quote from: Bonaventure on June 29, 2013, 11:51:43 PM
Quote from: OzarkCatholic on June 28, 2013, 09:07:42 PM

You are a smart man

Indeed.  Checkmate, KK.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.