Air Gas

Started by james03, October 03, 2015, 03:13:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

james03

https://www.airgas.com/company/careers

Select: Search Jobs and Apply

I'm looking at working at one of their plants, and noticed over 400 job postings.  If you, a son, grandson, brother, or friend need a job, take a look.  You're talking about $10/hr. plus full benefits starting out.  Good place to start out.  Found some unskilled positions.  Put together a resume, stress farm jobs if you did them, or anything that is physical and shows you are not a sissy, and put your name in the hat.  Looks like plant operator and lab tech would be good, but don't turn up your nose on "cylinder filler", because its a start and builds the resume.  Plus you will get a shot at other jobs say a year later after you prove you are more than a mouth breather.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

james03

I already applied for the job I'm after, so I'll give you some tips:

Find a job(s) that you can reasonably do.  Research what the job is.  Then create a resume showing some sort of experience (no matter how much the stretch).  Also, they let you upload a cover letter.  So make sure you mention in the cover letter how your experience running barbed wire fence last summer shows you can understand learning new techniques and have the physical ability to fill cylinders (or whatever).  Helps to research their web page and be able to explain why you want to work for Air Gas.

Give it 3-4 years and you can be making a good enough salary to support a wife and kids.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

Rube

I have a nephew who went through 2 years of community college for architecture, and instantly started making 36K.

$10/hour sounds rather fatalistic and depressing. For those who need the conversion, just double the per-hour figure and you roughly get the yearly salary equivalent - 20K.

Everyone needs to look at this list, and help plan their lives better than the establishment tries to present it to them:

http://www.citytowninfo.com/studies/best-careers-degree-not-required.html

Akavit

Depends upon what someone intends to do.  Earning $40,000 in two years while someone else is spending $10,000 to attend classes puts a person $50,000 ahead of the game.  This is especially true if the person contributes at least $2,000 per year to a retirement account to get the $1,000 tax credit to eliminate most of the federal income tax.  For my first few working years I never paid more than a couple hundred in federal tax thanks to this trick.  Some years were tax-free and there was the 3% employer matching bonus which was nice.

Money in the bank tends to lower the cost of living substantially which leads to a standard of living similar to others with higher salaries.

Saving and investing wisely and making sure to work in a field that has good opportunities makes entering the work force early a viable opportunity for the motivated young person.

james03

Quote$10/hour sounds rather fatalistic and depressing.

Fatalistic?  I clearly said it was a start.  Plus it is full benefits, and you are looking at a career path that could easily end at 6 figures.

For your resource, I recommend starting a new thread.  That looks like good info and should be a separate thread.

Greg

Working for a living is never fatalistic and depressing.

Sitting in your mother's basement, reading end of the world websites can be however.

The good thing about starting at the bottom is that you see how the world works and if you are hardworking, sensible and motivated you stand out like a sore thumb and are quickly promoted.

Number 1 thing employers want is experience and a credible work ethic.  You're unlike to be on $10 per hour for 2 years unless you're some kind of mong.

Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

james03

Wife's friend had to get work when her husband ran off.  Started at $10/hr. stuffing boxes on an assembly line.  3 months later was promoted to the box assembly job and got a raise.  Due to her resume, she then applied to Walmart Distribution Center as a clerk.  Got hired for $17.60 and will get $0.50/hr every 6 months raise up to $19.50.  Included benefits.

So yeah, nothing fatalistic about "starting out" and building a resume.