Author Topic: Lyme Disease Symptoms Ameliorated by Bee Venom?  (Read 2511 times)

Offline Bernadette

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
Lyme Disease Symptoms Ameliorated by Bee Venom?
« on: September 04, 2015, 10:38:43 PM »
This is so...inexplicable.

http://snapjudgment.org/venom

Offline GloriaPatri

• Feldwebel
  • Religion: Platonic Realist
Re: Lyme Disease Symptoms Ameliorated by Bee Venom?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 01:35:07 AM »
I presume that somehow the venom attacks the bacteria, effectively killing it off. I wonder how many studies have been done to gauge the effectiveness of the venom as a treatment. As it stands, lyme disease can potentially adapt to resist the antibiotics given to a patient.

(And, quite frankly, I think I would have rather put up with some bee venom than ingesting the disgusting antibiotics that I had to when I contracted lyme disease).

Offline red solo cup

• John 6:56
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Fair weather Catholic
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 10:07:17 AM »
The Mrs. had a tick attach itself to her last summer. Because we live in a Lyme state, as a precaution the doctor gave her Doxacylin as a one time dose. It was pretty easy.
Back in the 80's, bee stings were all the rage for treating arthritis.
"It's so lonely 'round the fields of Athenry"

Offline GloriaPatri

• Feldwebel
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 10:37:54 AM »
The Mrs. had a tick attach itself to her last summer. Because we live in a Lyme state, as a precaution the doctor gave her Doxacylin as a one time dose. It was pretty easy.

I know when I got the bite (I was 11 at the time, and on my first boy scout camping trip) we didn't notice it at first. The bite looked more like a large, red rash that was warm to the touch. I was lucky that I had a dermatologist appointment, he was the one who said that it started to look like the classic bullseye. After getting some blood work done he was proven correct, and I was on a weeks regimen of the most foul-tasting medicine I've ever had  :ack:

Offline Lynne

• happy to be Catholic!
  • Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • We're all special snowflakes
  • Religion: Catholic (SSPX)
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2015, 05:35:05 PM »

I know when I got the bite (I was 11 at the time, and on my first boy scout camping trip) we didn't notice it at first. The bite looked more like a large, red rash that was warm to the touch. I was lucky that I had a dermatologist appointment, he was the one who said that it started to look like the classic bullseye. After getting some blood work done he was proven correct, and I was on a weeks regimen of the most foul-tasting medicine I've ever had  :ack:

It could have been worse. You could have been bitten by a rabid animal on your camping trip and needed to have 7 shots in your stomach!  ::)

In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael’s Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

“My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you’re supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen.”

Offline GloriaPatri

• Feldwebel
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2015, 05:59:33 PM »

It could have been worse. You could have been bitten by a rabid animal on your camping trip and needed to have 7 shots in your stomach!  ::)

The nurse who did my blood work ended up having to reinsert the needle into my arm about a dozen times Lynne. Given that I was 11, I think that beats out 7 shots in the stomach. Furthermore, this isn't a pissing contest. I've had lyme disease, I recall what the antibiotic regimen was like (it wasn't fun), and I for one would've much rather had bee venom used to treat the disease than the antibiotics. So unless you've had Lyme Disease, kindly step off.

Offline Lynne

• happy to be Catholic!
  • Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • We're all special snowflakes
  • Religion: Catholic (SSPX)
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2015, 06:50:40 PM »

The nurse who did my blood work ended up having to reinsert the needle into my arm about a dozen times Lynne. Given that I was 11, I think that beats out 7 shots in the stomach. Furthermore, this isn't a pissing contest. I've had lyme disease, I recall what the antibiotic regimen was like (it wasn't fun), and I for one would've much rather had bee venom used to treat the disease than the antibiotics. So unless you've had Lyme Disease, kindly step off.

I'm sorry. I failed in my attempt to be funny.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael’s Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

“My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you’re supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen.”

Offline GloriaPatri

• Feldwebel
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2015, 11:26:35 PM »
Apology accepted Lynne. I understand that humour often fails to be communicated through text  :)

Offline NCtradCath

• Hellebardier
  • Religion: Catholic
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2016, 09:33:45 PM »
Have things changed with the medication regarding Lyme disease over the years? I was given doxycycline when I got Lyme disease 8 years ago and I didn't find it onerous. Of course, our bodies react to medications differently.