Author Topic: Massive swarm of grasshoppers and beetles on its way to Oklahoma  (Read 648 times)

Offline dymphna17

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • Be still and know that I am God
Ewww!

http://www.joplinglobe.com/cnhi_network/massive-swarm-of-grasshoppers-and-beetles-on-its-way-to/article_0675ece2-e767-50b7-b27f-26cd6b528f67.html

Massive swarm of grasshoppers and beetles on its way to Oklahoma
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2015 10:30 am

While much of the country was posting about a fake shark attack that came in the form of a tornado (Sharknado 3), a real life infestation was roaming the plains of Texas Wednesday.

According to National Weather Service in Norman, Oklahoma, a large swarm of grasshoppers and beetles is heading through Texas and into Oklahoma. The insects were flying over Knox County, Texas and were captured on radar heading to Northeast Oklahoma.  By Thursday afternoon, the swarm has made it to Fredrick, Oklahoma.

“It’s fairly common during the warm season,” said Forrest Mitchell, Observations Program Leader at the National Weather Service. “It’s a testament of the sensitivity of the radars we use. It is difficult to correlate a specific amount of insects to what the radar is seeing because it depends on the size and proximity of the insects as they fly.”

According to Mitchell, the radar shows the swarm of insects flying from the ground up to 2,500 feet, covering a distance of over 50 miles.

Rangers at Copper Breaks State Park in Quanah, Texas confirmed that the radar is picking up a large swarm.

ن
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

“Don’t waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you’ll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master.”– Mother Angelica

Offline Jacob

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Wachtmeister
Re: Massive swarm of grasshoppers and beetles on its way to Oklahoma
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 11:12:07 AM »
It's trending on Facebook (didn't read the story itself) that a town here in Iowa used snowplows to move mayflies off a bridge.  :o
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”
--Neal Stephenson

Offline red solo cup

• John 6:56
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Fair weather Catholic
Re: Massive swarm of grasshoppers and beetles on its way to Oklahoma
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 11:15:28 AM »
In Maine we use snowplows to disperse the fog.
"It's so lonely 'round the fields of Athenry"