Author Topic: Does anyone use LilyPond for music engraving?  (Read 719 times)

Offline aquinas138

• Wachtmeister
  • Māran etraḥam 'lay!
Does anyone use LilyPond for music engraving?
« on: April 25, 2015, 03:06:27 PM »
I am driving myself insane, I believe. I am trying to assemble a booklet for Small Compline for my parish that has our parish propers in it. I am fairly ignorant musically - I can identify a note, and that's about it. Anyway, I am using LaTeX (TeXShop) and LilyPond to produce the musical notation. It works pretty well, but trying to format it is maddening. I am having trouble with spacing:

Mine looks like this:

But I want it to look more like this:

Unfortunately, I don't know how to allow the bar to carry to the next line, and LilyPond's automatic choices look bad. If anyone can help, I'll post my code.
O unashamed intercessor of Christians, ever loyal advocate before the Creator, do not disregard the prayerful voice of sinners but in your goodness hasten to assist us who trustfully cry out to you: Intercede always, O Mother of God, in behalf of those who honor you!

Offline Gardener

• Drink the poison yourself.
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Catholic
Re: Does anyone use LilyPond for music engraving?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 05:37:36 PM »
I've sent this thread link to the music director at the parish. I'll let ya know what he says.
"And what use are the victories on the battlefield if we are ourselves are defeated in our innermost personal selves?" - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Providence is a present mystery by which our hope is confirmed and our faith solidified, if we give not into despair or disbelief.

Woe is me, because I have held my peace. Isaiah 6

Offline aquinas138

• Wachtmeister
  • Māran etraḥam 'lay!
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 12:18:39 AM »
I've sent this thread link to the music director at the parish. I'll let ya know what he says.

Thank you very much.
O unashamed intercessor of Christians, ever loyal advocate before the Creator, do not disregard the prayerful voice of sinners but in your goodness hasten to assist us who trustfully cry out to you: Intercede always, O Mother of God, in behalf of those who honor you!

Offline Gardener

• Drink the poison yourself.
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Catholic
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 01:03:54 AM »
Howdy.

He replied:

"Lily pond is not user friendly,  Sibelius is probably your best bet.  I've used Encore for years but if I had to learn another software to start over again I'd use Sibelius.  ... "

If you want, I'll PM you with his contact info in case you have more questions or just want to compare musician notes.

edit: fix typo
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 01:20:49 AM by Gardener »
"And what use are the victories on the battlefield if we are ourselves are defeated in our innermost personal selves?" - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Providence is a present mystery by which our hope is confirmed and our faith solidified, if we give not into despair or disbelief.

Woe is me, because I have held my peace. Isaiah 6