Author Topic: Does anyone use LilyPond for music engraving?  (Read 821 times)

Offline aquinas138

• Wachtmeister
  • Παναγία Τριάς, ἐλέησον ἡμᾶς!
Does anyone use LilyPond for music engraving?
« on: April 25, 2015, 03:06:27 PM »
I am driving myself insane, I believe. I am trying to assemble a booklet for Small Compline for my parish that has our parish propers in it. I am fairly ignorant musically - I can identify a note, and that's about it. Anyway, I am using LaTeX (TeXShop) and LilyPond to produce the musical notation. It works pretty well, but trying to format it is maddening. I am having trouble with spacing:

Mine looks like this:

But I want it to look more like this:

Unfortunately, I don't know how to allow the bar to carry to the next line, and LilyPond's automatic choices look bad. If anyone can help, I'll post my code.
O Theotokos; thou art the true vine that hath blossomed forth for us the Fruit of Life. Thee do we supplicate:  Intercede, O Lady, together with the holy apostles, that our souls find mercy.

Offline Gardener

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
Re: Does anyone use LilyPond for music engraving?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 05:37:36 PM »
I've sent this thread link to the music director at the parish. I'll let ya know what he says.

Offline aquinas138

• Wachtmeister
  • Παναγία Τριάς, ἐλέησον ἡμᾶς!
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 12:18:39 AM »
I've sent this thread link to the music director at the parish. I'll let ya know what he says.

Thank you very much.
O Theotokos; thou art the true vine that hath blossomed forth for us the Fruit of Life. Thee do we supplicate:  Intercede, O Lady, together with the holy apostles, that our souls find mercy.

Offline Gardener

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 01:03:54 AM »
Howdy.

He replied:

"Lily pond is not user friendly,  Sibelius is probably your best bet.  I've used Encore for years but if I had to learn another software to start over again I'd use Sibelius.  ... "

If you want, I'll PM you with his contact info in case you have more questions or just want to compare musician notes.

edit: fix typo
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 01:20:49 AM by Gardener »