Author Topic: How is Pćniteo's name pronounced?  (Read 3089 times)

Offline Ben

• Wachtmeister
  • At my best, I love you!
Re: How is Pćniteo's name pronounced?
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2013, 02:04:21 AM »
Vetus for the win.

tmw was close, but it's "ee," and not "i" as in biz.

Offline Gottmitunsalex

• "As the head of the Church, I cannot answer you otherwise: The Jews have not recognized Our Lord; therefore we cannot recognize the Jewish people." ---Pope St. Pius X
  • Feldwebel
  • Magister Generalis - Hochmeister
    • My position.
  • Religion: römisch-katholisch
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2013, 02:13:24 AM »
If he doesn't come here and set the record straight then I'm sticking with Pan-uh-tay-oh.

I have never said this word, and I do not think in sounds, so it is all theory to me.

However, ć, œ, and e are all pronounced the same in Ecclesiastical Latin.

It is common to find "e" replacing ć and œ, especially in Medieval Latin.

How I personally pronounce Latin is not worth using as the basis for any advice on specifics. I am aware of my accents.
Accents? What accents would those be?
"Nothing is more miserable than those people who never failed to attack their own salvation. When there was need to observe the Law, they trampled it under foot. Now that the Law has ceased to bind, they obstinately strive to observe it. What could be more pitiable that those who provoke God not only by transgressing the Law but also by keeping it? But at any rate the Jews say that they, too, adore God. God forbid that I say that. No Jew adores God! Who say so? The Son of God say so. For he said: "If you were to know my Father, you would also know me. But you neither know me nor do you know my Father". Could I produce a witness more trustworthy than the Son of God?"  St. John Chrysostom  Sunday Homily

"The two goals of the Jews: The universal domination of the world and the destruction of Catholicism, out of hatred for Christ" --Mgr. Jouin

Offline Pćniteo

• Korporal
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2013, 02:40:00 AM »

I meant how I speak, not phonology of Latin.

I have an idiosyncratic way of speaking which I accept as not being anything worth using as the basis for advice. I do not think in sounds like most.

Offline Gottmitunsalex

• "As the head of the Church, I cannot answer you otherwise: The Jews have not recognized Our Lord; therefore we cannot recognize the Jewish people." ---Pope St. Pius X
  • Feldwebel
  • Magister Generalis - Hochmeister
    • My position.
  • Religion: römisch-katholisch
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2013, 02:44:03 AM »

I meant how I speak, not phonology of Latin.

I have an idiosyncratic way of speaking which I accept as not being anything worth using as the basis for advice. I do not think in sounds like most.
Now this is an interesting topic.
You think and type in terms of how you read as opposed to how you say and pronounce the words? 
"Nothing is more miserable than those people who never failed to attack their own salvation. When there was need to observe the Law, they trampled it under foot. Now that the Law has ceased to bind, they obstinately strive to observe it. What could be more pitiable that those who provoke God not only by transgressing the Law but also by keeping it? But at any rate the Jews say that they, too, adore God. God forbid that I say that. No Jew adores God! Who say so? The Son of God say so. For he said: "If you were to know my Father, you would also know me. But you neither know me nor do you know my Father". Could I produce a witness more trustworthy than the Son of God?"  St. John Chrysostom  Sunday Homily

"The two goals of the Jews: The universal domination of the world and the destruction of Catholicism, out of hatred for Christ" --Mgr. Jouin

Offline Pćniteo

• Korporal
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2013, 03:08:51 AM »
Now this is an interesting topic.
You think and type in terms of how you read as opposed to how you say and pronounce the words?

I am not sure this topic fits in this forum.

No, I think visually in ways that it seems others mostly do not.

I did not understand the concept of rhyme until I was quite old.

Offline poche

• Feldwebel
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2013, 04:22:35 AM »
I always pronounced it roe-SAR-ee-um.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Francisco Suárez

• Korporal
  • Religion: Christian
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2013, 11:56:08 AM »
In the common ecclesiastical or roman pronunciation it's pen-EE-teh-o.

There's no "ts" in "teo," by the way, and the diphthong "ae" (and the "oe" as well) is read as a simple "eh" as in pen.

:beer: