Author Topic: Douay Rheims family Bibles?  (Read 3277 times)

Offline moneil

• Wachtmeister
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
Re: Douay Rheims family Bibles?
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2015, 11:15:06 AM »
Just to throw out another idea ... At our local used book store https://www.facebook.com/brusedbooks/info?tab=overview , and this is in a small college town of 36k population, I've seen several "Catholic Family Bibles" for under $12.00.

These are almost always the Douay Rheims Old Testament and the Confraternity New Testament (not a bad translation at all).  They are typically large "coffee table book" size, have an extensive family records section, lots of art and illustrations, and often other Catholic information material (church history timelines, list of popes, prayers, etc.).  The ones I've seen were published from the 1940's through the mid 1960's.  They often don't have any writing in them and are in good shape.

So, if you don't mind the Confraternity New Testament this might be an option to check out, at a good price, assuming you have some good used book stores around you.

Offline Joshua119

• Korporal
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2015, 12:44:08 PM »
Just to throw out another idea ... At our local used book store https://www.facebook.com/brusedbooks/info?tab=overview , and this is in a small college town of 36k population, I've seen several "Catholic Family Bibles" for under $12.00.

These are almost always the Douay Rheims Old Testament and the Confraternity New Testament (not a bad translation at all).  They are typically large "coffee table book" size, have an extensive family records section, lots of art and illustrations, and often other Catholic information material (church history timelines, list of popes, prayers, etc.).  The ones I've seen were published from the 1940's through the mid 1960's.  They often don't have any writing in them and are in good shape.

So, if you don't mind the Confraternity New Testament this might be an option to check out, at a good price, assuming you have some good used book stores around you.

:) What a neat looking store. I've actually been wanting a Douay-Confraternaty as well. Perhaps I should just buy one of everything and be done with it lol. My wife would be so mad though  :lol:

Offline Parresia

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
  • Religion: Catholic. Straight, no chaser.
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2015, 04:12:59 PM »

:) What a neat looking store. I've actually been wanting a Douay-Confraternaty as well. Perhaps I should just buy one of everything and be done with it lol. My wife would be so mad though  :lol:

I have one from 1955 with the DR OT minus the Psalms, which are the ones revised according to Pope Pius XII's guidelines, and the Confraternity NT.  Nice Bible.  It's really too bad that the CCD couldn't have finished their work and translated the entire Vulgate before the new guidelines went into effect.  Having an easily readable translation of the Vulgate would be wonderful. 

The RSV2CE, which is a modern translation, seems to be taking more from the Vulgate each time they revise it.  I am glad to see that, and hope it continues going forward. 
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 04:17:18 PM by Parresia »