Author Topic: The Poem Of The Man-God by Maria Valtorta  (Read 5354 times)

Offline Lateran

• Vizekorporal
  • Gone Fishing
  • Religion: Catholic; cranky not crunchy
Re: The Poem Of The Man-God by Maria Valtorta
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2013, 10:27:03 AM »
What is the hype around this?

I've never understood it.

IMHO, all the rights of the work belongs to the Servites and they have from the start been the great promoters of the work. Cash cow?

Offline Der Kaiser

• Feldwebel
  • Religion: sedevacantist Catholic
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2013, 07:09:19 PM »
Poem of the Man God seems iffy to me. Stick with the Life of Christ by Blessed Anna katherine Emmerich. It is far better and never censured. All these things come from "visions" so take them with a grain of salt, but Life of Christ is still a good read. it just cant replace the scripture.
"If a Pope changes the rites of the sacraments he puts himself outside the Church and is Anathema"-Pope Innocent III

"Rome will lose the faith and become the seat of Anti-Christ"-Our Lady of La Sallette

The hebrews have not recognized the lord, therefore we can not recognize the hebrews.-St Pius X

Offline Archer

• Hauptmann
  • Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, fast is lethal.
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2013, 07:19:10 PM »
Poem of the Man God seems iffy to me. Stick with the Life of Christ by Blessed Anna katherine Emmerich. It is far better and never censured. All these things come from "visions" so take them with a grain of salt, but Life of Christ is still a good read. it just cant replace the scripture.

This.  Why not read other approved books or just study the Scriptures?  I highly doubt anyone here has read Sacred Scripture to the point where it is no longer beneficial.  Poem was censured and placed on the Index of Forbidden Books.  Whether you agree with that or not, it was.  Combine that with the valid concerns about the content and there are just too many red flags to waste my time with. 
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

The following users thanked this post: Blue Violet

Offline Patriarch

• Korporal
  • Jesus, Son of David, have mercy upon me.+
  • Religion: traditional Catholicism (FSSP)
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2013, 12:40:27 AM »
There are plenty of our alternative meditations on our Blessed Lord's Holy Passion that have received Holy Mother Church's approbation; in addition, we've the endless 'wellspring' or boon of God's Holy Word: the Holy Bible or Holy Scriptures from which to drink of or partake.  :toth:
“Have mercy upon me, O God, according to Thy great mercy . . . ”
— Psalm 50, 3.

Offline Gottmitunsalex

• "As the head of the Church, I cannot answer you otherwise: The Jews have not recognized Our Lord; therefore we cannot recognize the Jewish people." ---Pope St. Pius X
  • Feldwebel
  • Magister Generalis - Hochmeister
    • My position.
  • Religion: römisch-katholisch
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2013, 12:48:32 AM »
Without a doubt, this has been the most controversial book in SD's Bookstore.

It's probably worth a read.
 ;)
"Nothing is more miserable than those people who never failed to attack their own salvation. When there was need to observe the Law, they trampled it under foot. Now that the Law has ceased to bind, they obstinately strive to observe it. What could be more pitiable that those who provoke God not only by transgressing the Law but also by keeping it? But at any rate the Jews say that they, too, adore God. God forbid that I say that. No Jew adores God! Who say so? The Son of God say so. For he said: "If you were to know my Father, you would also know me. But you neither know me nor do you know my Father". Could I produce a witness more trustworthy than the Son of God?"  St. John Chrysostom  Sunday Homily

"The two goals of the Jews: The universal domination of the world and the destruction of Catholicism, out of hatred for Christ" --Mgr. Jouin

Offline Archer

• Hauptmann
  • Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, fast is lethal.
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2013, 01:33:55 PM »
Without a doubt, this has been the most controversial book in SD's Bookstore.

It's probably worth a read.
 ;)

Dan Brown's books are controversial too, but I wouldn't recommend reading those.
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

The following users thanked this post: Blue Violet