Job working for me as my LI shadow

Started by Greg, December 01, 2017, 02:08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg

I want to create a role for someone as my shadow on LI.

Ideal for someone intelligent who lives in the boonies and does not mind a quirky job.

My LI network is now so vast that I sometimes don't notice for months when a contact of mine leaves or joins a firm or bank.  There are dozens of opportunities to say "well done", "happy birthday", "good luck", "here is a useful connection for you", "here is an article I wrote" or "I see you are looking for work, reach out if you want an introduction", that I just don't have the time to cover.  I doubt that I am able to cover even 10% of them.  I simply cover the same 10% that I am dealing with anyway and so notice.

So, I'm looking for a virtual worker who can learn and then fully understand what I do and help me do more of it by acting as my proxy and doing simple nudge tasks, at first, but graduating on to writing (cut and pasting), connection requests proposals etc.  Does not matter where you are in the world as long as there is a 2 hour window between your working hours and mine.  I tend to work (or by available for work) from 9am London to 11pm London Monday to Friday and then can make 1 hour free on Saturday or Sunday.

We would have a daily, or at least several times weekly, Skype video call and discuss the "brief" for the week.  I might be headhunting, looking for clients for my clients, looking for clients for myself and the people who work for me.  I wear a lot of hats.  The brief would agree what you were going to do that week on my behalf.  You'd keep a simple log of the activity, numbers of emails, messages, connection requests sent etc.  Not what you did exactly, I don't care but just a log so we know what is working.

When your work (which is impersonating me) gets a positive response then I would take over.  Over time you could do more and more to the point where you ever contacted the client and set up a conference call with them via text (they would think it was me doing it).  But initially the job is turning over rocks in my LinkedIn profile and communicating micro messages and targeted campaigns.

The whole job can be done from home on a PC with a reliable internet connection.  So if you live in the boonies or are disabled it makes no difference.  There are certain character features you will need.

• Opportunistic and able to spot patterns.  When you have done something before that was successful or a waste of time you need to be able to remember why happened and why so you can refine the work and make yourself more efficient.

Longevity.  You won't be net productive to me for 6-12 months.  I need someone who sticks the job out otherwise I have to keep training new people which makes the whole exercise far less productive.

Maturity, high IQ (120+) and common sense.  You need to impersonate me so you will need to understand what I do and don't do.  This won't be instant, but the smarter you are the better.

I am 100% sure this will generate an extra six-figures per year by freeing up my time and getting inbound inquiries (which are far less time consuming), so money is not going to be a problem.  If you can do the job I'll be making enough money to pay you well.

You'll be a contractor.  Everyone who works for me is.  So you will invoice and I'll pay those invoices.  You have to sort out medical, taxes, etc.

Longer term if we can get the formula right then we can sell the idea to other busy business owners and offer it as a profitable service.  The unknown is whether a human can shadow another human well enough to learn what an opportunity looks like and stimulate a response.  I believe it can be done.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

dymphna17

Of course it can be done.  Many Executive Assistants around the world do it.  You have to find someone who has instincts like yours, but for whatever reason, not the ability to actually create and run their own company doing what you do.  Would you consider instinct as important as IQ in this case, Greg?  How does one go about finding out what their IQ level is these days?  This looks to be a wonderful opportunity for the right person.
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

Greg

I can talk to someone and tell their IQ, I do it all the time in interviews.

What I want is lateral thinking and opportunity spotting and turnover.  A 100 small comments that people like and appreciate is better than 10 super witty ones that only a few people see.  I have to get around the network every 6 months basically.

I am not worried about creating a competitor.  There's so much money sloshing around in FinTech that I could have 10 competitors and there would be enough to feed all of us.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Greg

Plus I am pretty clever and sneaky.

I'd crush you.

Greg

Job is now filled.  I have three suitable candidates and will choose by Christmas Day.

Jacob

I look forward to any updates you may offer, Greg.  Unlike a lot of your other posts about jobs, this one is actually something I think I could have pulled off.  I once volunteered for a charity and they put me to work a few times culling their lists of donors for stuff like what you have in mind, updates on family events in their case.  Also, one time I went to visit a former teacher who had been elected as a state legislator.  His clerk during the time I was visiting was doing what you describe, drafting and sending out messages of congratulations to the voters who had garnered attention in the local media.  Skype wouldn't have worked, but we could have found a workaround.

Good luck to your candidates.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

dymphna17

Quote from: Greg on December 01, 2017, 11:41:09 PM
Plus I am pretty clever and sneaky.

I'd crush you.

You would have to.   :P 8)
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica