Author Topic: Resources on the Problem of Evil  (Read 1071 times)

Offline ÆneasQuébécois

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hellebardier
  • "This I know, that I know nothing."
  • Religion: Sede Catholic/Orthodox/Anabaptist (still deciding)
Resources on the Problem of Evil
« on: November 15, 2017, 03:48:20 PM »
Salvete omnes.

I was wondering if yous could recommend me some good resources on the problem of evil. I've had to put up with weeks of various university professors trotting out the "Why do bad things happen to good people?" argument again and again, and as I now have a chance to respond, I would like to do so well.

I do not really have the money to buy books, so I am mostly looking for either online articles or older Doctors-of-the-Church type stuff which would be in the public domain and thus available free online. I could also probably get a some things through the university library or inter-library loans provided it is a reasonably common book.

I am more interested in older patristic/Mediæval/counter-Reformation writings but any good modern articles or books would be very much appreciated. I really would be grateful for anything on the topic, either for my writing or for personal edification. By the by, I can read Latin, so that is not a problem.

Multas gratias vobis ago. 
"True evangelical faith...cannot lay dormant; but manifests itself in all righteousness and works of love; it...clothes the naked; feeds the hungry; consoles the afflicted; shelters the miserable; aids and consoles all the oppressed; returns good for evil; serves those that injure it; prays for those that persecute it." ~ Menno Simons

Online Davis Blank - EG

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Korporal
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
Re: Resources on the Problem of Evil
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 11:31:35 PM »
Well this is not the detailed, cited and sourced, answer you probably want for your university studies, but one explanation is that God allows evil in order to bring out greater goods that otherwise could not come.  Think of disciplining a child from the perspective of the child and from that of the parent.  And to head off likely rebuttals, evil does not need to be clearly connected to the good that came from it.  A martyr's death might bring about wondrous faith centuries later.

Evil exists and it is horrifying.

Offline Jayne

• Mary Garden
  • Major
  • Comic Sans Frontières
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 04:18:36 AM »
The Problem of Pain by C S Lewis.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

The following users thanked this post: ÆneasQuébécois

Offline Santantonio

• Vizekorporal
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 01:09:16 PM »
Fr. Robert Spitzer often tackles this question - and is very popular
with new books and talks.
Evil and a Good God by Bruce R. Reichenbach is inexpensive
and well-referenced starting point.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 01:21:31 PM by Santantonio »

Offline Livenotonevil

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Wachtmeister
  • Lord, Save Me!
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Inquirer
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 02:46:02 PM »
extra post, didn't notice this post already posted.

May God forgive me for my consistent sins of the flesh and any blasphemous and carnal desire, as well as forgive me whenever I act prideful, against the desire of my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, to be a Temple of the Holy Spirit.