Author Topic: Spiritual Remedies for Anxiety  (Read 2444 times)

Offline ludimagister

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Vizekorporal
  • Religion: Catholic
Re: Spiritual Remedies for Anxiety
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2016, 02:39:35 PM »
This is a prayer of St Claude de la Colombière:

My God, I believe most firmly that Thou watchest over all who hope in Thee, and that we can want for nothing when we rely upon Thee in all things; therefore I am resolved for the future to have no anxieties, and to cast all my cares upon Thee.
People may deprive me of worldly goods and of honors; sickness may take from me my strength and the means of serving Thee; I may even lose Thy grace by sin; but my trust shall never leave me. I will preserve it to the last moment of my life, and the powers of hell shall seek in vain to wrestle it from me.

Let others seek happiness in their wealth, in their talents; let them trust to the purity of their lives, the severity of their mortifications, to the number of their good works, the fervor of their prayers; as for me, O my God, in my very confidence lies all my hope. “For Thou, O Lord, singularly has settled me in hope.” This confidence can never be in vain. “No one has hoped in the Lord and has been confounded.”

I am assured, therefore, of my eternal happiness, for I firmly hope for it, and all my hope is in Thee. “In Thee, O Lord, I have hoped; let me never be confounded.”

I know, alas! I know but too well that I am frail and changable; I know the power of temptation against the strongest virtue. I have seen stars fall from heaven, and pillars of firmament totter; but these things alarm me not. While I hope in Thee I am sheltered from all misfortune, and I am sure that my trust shall endure, for I rely upon Thee to sustain this unfailing hope.

Finally, I know that my confidence cannot exceed Thy bounty, and that I shall never receive less than I have hoped for from Thee. Therefore I hope that Thou wilt sustain me against my evil inclinations; that Thou wilt protect me against the most furious assults of the evil one, and that Thou wilt cause my weakness to triumph over my most powerful enemies. I hope that Thou wilt never cease to love me, and that I shall love Thee unceasingly. “In Thee, O Lord, have I hoped; let me never be confounded.”
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 02:44:03 PM by ludimagister »

The following users thanked this post: Non Nobis, maryslittlegarden, dymphna17, Bernadette, Michael Wilson

Offline Non Nobis

• Why are you fearful?
  • Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2016, 05:46:51 PM »
and here's something called St. Teresa's Bookmark

http://www.ourcatholicprayers.com/st-teresas-bookmark.html

Let nothing disturb you,
Let nothing frighten you,
All things are passing;
God only is changeless.
Patience gains all things.
Who has God wants nothing.
God alone suffices.

It's actually much longer but I'm lazy and took the first link that I found...  ::)

Long ago I gave my mom these maxims in handwritten calligraphy that I had done and framed (I took a class back then but haven't kept up with it; this may be the only sample I have).  It became a good reminder (and a memory) for me because my mom put it in the bathroom hall where it was hard to miss.  I have it in my own hall now.
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

The following users thanked this post: PerEvangelicaDicta

Offline Bernadette

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2016, 05:51:24 PM »
This is a prayer of St Claude de la Colombière:

My God, I believe most firmly that Thou watchest over all who hope in Thee, and that we can want for nothing when we rely upon Thee in all things; therefore I am resolved for the future to have no anxieties, and to cast all my cares upon Thee.
People may deprive me of worldly goods and of honors; sickness may take from me my strength and the means of serving Thee; I may even lose Thy grace by sin; but my trust shall never leave me. I will preserve it to the last moment of my life, and the powers of hell shall seek in vain to wrestle it from me.

Let others seek happiness in their wealth, in their talents; let them trust to the purity of their lives, the severity of their mortifications, to the number of their good works, the fervor of their prayers; as for me, O my God, in my very confidence lies all my hope. “For Thou, O Lord, singularly has settled me in hope.” This confidence can never be in vain. “No one has hoped in the Lord and has been confounded.”

I am assured, therefore, of my eternal happiness, for I firmly hope for it, and all my hope is in Thee. “In Thee, O Lord, I have hoped; let me never be confounded.”

I know, alas! I know but too well that I am frail and changable; I know the power of temptation against the strongest virtue. I have seen stars fall from heaven, and pillars of firmament totter; but these things alarm me not. While I hope in Thee I am sheltered from all misfortune, and I am sure that my trust shall endure, for I rely upon Thee to sustain this unfailing hope.

Finally, I know that my confidence cannot exceed Thy bounty, and that I shall never receive less than I have hoped for from Thee. Therefore I hope that Thou wilt sustain me against my evil inclinations; that Thou wilt protect me against the most furious assults of the evil one, and that Thou wilt cause my weakness to triumph over my most powerful enemies. I hope that Thou wilt never cease to love me, and that I shall love Thee unceasingly. “In Thee, O Lord, have I hoped; let me never be confounded.”

Fr. Lasance put this into My Prayer Book: Happiness in Goodness. :)

Offline Non Nobis

• Why are you fearful?
  • Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2016, 06:16:50 PM »
You'll find the hymn sung on YouTube. If you type in "Lord for tomorrow and its needs" it should be the first thing listed. I'm afraid I don't know how to copy links.

This one?

I copy/pasted the URL/address from the browser (opened on the youtube video) to the post, and then changed "https" to just "http". (Quote the post text to see)  I'm sure getting rid of the "s" is the trick.
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Offline Lynne

• happy to be Catholic!
  • Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • We're all special snowflakes
  • Religion: Catholic (SSPX)
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2016, 06:29:05 PM »
You'll find the hymn sung on YouTube. If you type in "Lord for tomorrow and its needs" it should be the first thing listed. I'm afraid I don't know how to copy links.

Thanks again!

It isn't displaying correctly.  :-\

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9XMj9jrL6s

« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 06:30:39 PM by Lynne »
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael’s Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

“My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you’re supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen.”

Offline ludimagister

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Vizekorporal
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2016, 06:36:02 PM »
That's the one! Thanks very much, Non Nobis. It's very kind of you.

Lynne, the link worked for me on my 'phone.

The following users thanked this post: Non Nobis

Offline awkwardcustomer

• Feldwebel
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2016, 10:49:03 AM »
What a beautiful hymn. And prayer.

Thanks for this thread.
And formerly the heretics were manifest; but now the Church is filled with heretics in disguise.  
St Cyril of Jerusalem, Catechetical Lecture 15, para 9.

And what rough beast, it's hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
WB Yeats, 'The Second Coming'.

Offline dymphna17

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • Be still and know that I am God
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2016, 12:06:36 PM »
Don't forget the liberal use of Holy Water and the names of Jesus and Mary.  Also, lighting a blessed candle and giving your cares to God as long as that candle burns has proven to be beneficial.  Usually, by the time the candle goes out, I'm not anxious any more.
ن
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

“Don’t waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you’ll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master.”– Mother Angelica

The following users thanked this post: Lynne, PerEvangelicaDicta

Offline PerEvangelicaDicta

• Contemplare et contemplata aliis tradere
  • Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2016, 12:21:14 PM »
I've had some annoying low level anxiety the past few days. Mainly worrying about things I can't control. Do you have any favorite devotions or prayers for this issue?

I never thought of praying the Litany of Humility when stressed.  What an inspired suggestion.

From personal experience:

1.  Prayer  -  when I'm especially stressed I quietly rest upon His Sacred Heart, as St. John did. I don't even have to speak.  And it all melts away.

2.  Nutrition!  This is a huge factor.  Anxiety is most often caused by vitamin/mineral deficiencies, esp B, zinc, magnesium and omega 3, and blood sugar levels have to be lowered by getting rid of sugar and simple carbs. May I suggest a good vitamin/mineral supplement, in conjunction with a complex B, magnesium and krill oil supplement, with a diet high in <good> fats, low in simple carbs, moderate protein intake, and sans any processed foods?  Your energy level will soar.

3.  Exercise - anything... walking in the park, swimming, riding horses, gardening, climbing trees  :P or even jumping jacks in your family room.  Get the blood flowing into your brain. 

4.  Make time for something pleasurable - a hobby, a good book, cuddling with your child or grandchild or other family member, music that lifts the spirit (warning: most modern music is calculated to enhance anxiety).

5.  Minimize exposure to toxic people.

Numbers 1 and 2 pretty much did the trick, enhanced by the others, esp # 5.

Don't worry, God will help you alicewyf  :)
They shall not be confounded in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be filled
Psalms 36:19

The following users thanked this post: maryslittlegarden, Lynne, PiusX1914

Offline PiusX1914

• Hellebardier
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2016, 04:32:10 PM »
I agree with what PerEvangelicaDicta said above.  Exercise, nutrition and toxic people are HUGE variables when dealing with anxiety.  I believe another significant variable is trust in God.  Anxiety and trust are inversely proportional with each other.  A book I found helpful is Abandonment to Divine Providence by Jean-Pierre de Caussade (1675 - 1751).  There are many translation available on Amazon.  You can also find it free on the Internet since it is in the public domain.

The following users thanked this post: LausTibiChriste

Offline PerEvangelicaDicta

• Contemplare et contemplata aliis tradere
  • Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2016, 04:40:37 PM »
I agree with what PerEvangelicaDicta said above.  Exercise, nutrition and toxic people are HUGE variables when dealing with anxiety.  I believe another significant variable is trust in God.  Anxiety and trust are inversely proportional with each other.  A book I found helpful is Abandonment to Divine Providence by Jean-Pierre de Caussade (1675 - 1751).  There are many translation available on Amazon.  You can also find it free on the Internet since it is in the public domain.

Brilliant.  One of the finest books written, imho. 
This book/topic would make for an outstanding thread.

'The duties of each moment are the shadows beneath which hides the divine operation." 

They shall not be confounded in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be filled
Psalms 36:19

Offline Kaesekopf

• Enkindle in us the virtues of humility and patience So we too may obediently do your will faithfully.
  • Oberst
  • Major
    • Suscipe Domine
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2016, 04:16:47 PM »
I have seen this book recommended by different priests and people.  Havent read it, but seen it a lot.

https://www.amazon.com/Searching-Maintaining-Peace-Small-Treatise/dp/0818909064

Then there's light and piece by quadrupani.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

The following users thanked this post: Lynne, Michael Wilson

Offline verenaerin

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • mother of a tiny tribe
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2016, 05:21:14 PM »
I've had some annoying low level anxiety the past few days. Mainly worrying about things I can't control. Do you have any favorite devotions or prayers for this issue?

I never thought of praying the Litany of Humility when stressed.  What an inspired suggestion.

Worrying about things you can't control is a pride thing and lack of trust in God. Whether an attack from a demon or your own head, getting below the issue with humility will never fail you. ;D

The following users thanked this post: maryslittlegarden, PerEvangelicaDicta