Author Topic: Al Kresta & Johnnette Benkovic  (Read 2461 times)

Offline Armor of Light

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Wachtmeister
  • The Real Deal
  • Religion: Really...how many are there?
Al Kresta & Johnnette Benkovic
« on: March 18, 2016, 12:57:15 PM »
I always listen to them during the day. I'm always in the car during their shows. Do any of you ever listen to them, and what are your impressions?

I usually like what Al has to say, but last week I found myself really strongly disagreeing with him on the topic of the Popes visit to the Lutherans 500 year birthday party or whatever..
He had a caller on (older lady. Trad minded for sure) and was giving her all sorts of shit for her tradiness. I was surprised. Al always struck me as kind of in line with trad viewpoints.

Johnnette cracks me up. She's always so happy. I take her with a whole lot of salt however. She came back into the church through the charismatic movement, so I'm wary of that whole thing.
If thou wilt receive profit, read with humility, simplicity, and faith, and seek not at any time the fame of being learned.

Thomas à Kempis

Offline rbjmartin

• Wachtmeister
Re: Al Kresta & Johnnette Benkovic
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 02:03:20 PM »
I think Kresta is an Americanist. He worships at the Pantheon of typical American idols.

Offline Kaesekopf

• Enkindle in us the virtues of humility and patience So we too may obediently do your will faithfully.
  • Oberst
  • Major
    • Suscipe Domine
  • Religion: Catholic
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 02:44:23 PM »
Kresta is your typical neo Catholic.  I can handle most Catholic talk shows except his. 

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Offline ResRev

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 02:51:17 PM »
Poor Al is always trying to square the circle. And he seems so unaware that nobody really buys it. I almost feel sorry for these professional Catholics. Almost.

Johnette is different. She's not really called on for apologetics and the "political" side of the Faith. She gets to skate right underneath it all and I thinks she's happy to do that. I get the feeling she would have a hard time pumping out the same mind-numbing drivel others "have to" in order to keep their Catholic bonafides. Of course, I don't see everything she does, I could be mistaken, but this has been my impression. I like her so much.

I love her show's episodes about the Shroud. Excellent! http://www.womenofgrace.com/en-us/media/tv/details.aspx?id=378
"You shall seek me, and shall find me: when you shall seek me with all your heart." Jeremias 29:13

Offline alicewyf

• Mary Garden
  • Korporal
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2016, 02:01:34 AM »
Johnette is way too saccharine for me, though I think she is a very holy person. I do like Fr. Wade Menezes, who she has on her show sometimes. I'm ok with Al Kresta. I don't listen to his show very often, I'm usually cooking during the time it comes on.

The following users thanked this post: ResRev

Offline ResRev

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 07:40:46 AM »
Johnette is way too saccharine for me, though I think she is a very holy person.
Usually this bothers me so much in someone, that I just...can't. But with her it doesn't bother me at all. Maybe it's because she's genuine and it comes through, I'm not sure.
"You shall seek me, and shall find me: when you shall seek me with all your heart." Jeremias 29:13

Offline Heinrich

• Steig mal auf den Berg hinauf
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Roter Fleisch, der Speck und Bourbon
  • Religion: römisch-katholisch
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2016, 08:38:09 AM »
I tend to stay away from EWTN shows. I have heard many questionable assessments of things. It can be confusing. Find a sports talk show or the local AM Spanish talk station.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

Offline Armor of Light

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Wachtmeister
  • The Real Deal
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2016, 01:12:18 PM »
I tend to stay away from EWTN shows. I have heard many questionable assessments of things. It can be confusing. Find a sports talk show or the local AM Spanish talk station.

Not into sports at all, and I don't speak Spanish. It's either Catholic radio or metal.. ;)
If thou wilt receive profit, read with humility, simplicity, and faith, and seek not at any time the fame of being learned.

Thomas à Kempis

Offline tradne4163

• Wachtmeister
  • Religion: Orthodox
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2016, 02:28:46 PM »
    I happened to listen to a rerun of a call in show on EWTN's radio stream. Some lady called in and was in tears as she explained that her separated husband (if I recall correctly) was deliberately using the demonic to attack her. There may have been other issues, but this is what I recall the most. The hosts clearly were not at all prepared for that. They tried consoling her, but at no point did the advice to talk to a priest come up.
    When it comes down to it, most people involved in Catholic radio can get in over their heads all too quickly. And they are not usually equipped to handle anything beyond the bare basics in my experience.
Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.

Take any post I write with a grain of salt. I've been wrong before, and can be again

Offline Heinrich

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2016, 04:36:44 PM »
Not into sports at all

Why do you have an avatar of Evander Holyfield?

I don't speak Spanish.

Many benefits for learning it.

It's either Catholic radio or metal.. ;)

Mexican music is not satanic. ;)

Offline Armor of Light

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Wachtmeister
  • The Real Deal
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2016, 05:21:14 PM »

Why do you have an avatar of Evander Holyfield?
I'm a former boxer and I do like boxing. Sports radio in my area does not include boxing very often, and when it does it is done by people who are idiots. I imagine they are the same idiots who call in the rest of the year to talk about draft picks and steroids.

Many benefits for learning it.
Meh. I'm sure there are. I'm in school to get my engineering degree. More benefit there.

Mexican music is not satanic. ;)
Nor is metal. I also like other kinds of music. Not country.

Thomas à Kempis

Offline Heinrich

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2016, 05:31:37 PM »
Nor is metal.

Do this: ask three FSSP priests and three SSPX priests. See what they say and then you make your own choices.

And if you are in school for engineering, take German. Ask Kaese. It helps.

Offline Kaesekopf

• Enkindle in us the virtues of humility and patience So we too may obediently do your will faithfully.
  • Oberst
  • Major
    • Suscipe Domine
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2016, 05:43:49 PM »
Nor is metal.

Do this: ask three FSSP priests and three SSPX priests. See what they say and then you make your own choices.

Always take German.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

The following users thanked this post: zork

Offline Armor of Light

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Wachtmeister
  • The Real Deal
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2016, 05:53:20 PM »
Nor is metal.

I worked for a German company for many years and know a bit of it. A little French, too.

I know good from bad, and right from wrong. If you are suggesting that a genre (or genres) of music is intrinsically evil, then..OK. We will have to disagree on that point. There is some metal that is overtly evil, and some that is offensive. Some of it is banal, some of it is rather crude. I don't like only metal, and I don't like every single metal band. Same with punk. Same with rock. Same with jazz. Same with oldies. Same with movies. Same with books. Same with websites. etc.. and on and on.

I'll start another thread on this topic if you think that a particular genre of music is intrinsically evil.

Thomas à Kempis

The following users thanked this post: zork

Offline Miriam_M

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • Never have been "MiriamB"
  • Religion: Traditional Roman Catholic
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2016, 02:46:55 AM »
I like Johnette as a person; have a lot of respect for her.  She is honest about her life and reversion.  However, she is very much wedded to the N.O. in the sense that she is very, very mainstream.  IOW, she's a "conservative" Catholic, while orthodox and much more prayerful, probably, than many in the mainstream church.  No, she doesn't "have" to cater to the politics in the Church, but she tends to have guests who have spilled a lot of ink favorable to JP2, and she herself speaks highly of him.

Again, I like and respect her spirituality, but her orientation is modern in terms of Church personnel and Church theology.  She has probably found a way to reconcile what I would consider somewhat traditional (devotional) spirituality -- particularly her love for the trad Saints and her knowledge of them -- with modern Catholicism, but I see too many contradictions between those two trajectories.  I think she would probably see "going trad" as risking, for her, the obedience she believes she regained through her reversion.  Naturally it's a mistaken understanding of Tradition as "dissent," but that just shows how far the Church has descended from the Truth.

I also think she is better read that many "conservative Catholics."  (I've watched a lot of her shows and used to be able to listen to her radio shows until my stupid local feed screwed up their schedule and now just offers Patrick Madrid Pablum monologue, a couple of worthless lay psychologists who offer similar monologues, and some other boring woman.  Johnette would be way better than that; I'll say that for her.)

I agree with the person who said she's a holy woman.  She's getting to Heaven way before I do.

Al Kresta I have no use for.  As someone else said, very, very typically neo-Catholic.  Predictable everything; predictable N.O. Party Line.  Like most of the "new breed" of Catholics, he's an ex-Proddy who still talks Proddy.  Sorry; I feel flip tonight.