Author Topic: ? for Fellow Hand-Sewers  (Read 1120 times)

Offline Bernadette

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
? for Fellow Hand-Sewers
« on: September 14, 2015, 12:29:21 AM »
What brand and fiber content do you prefer for your thread? All of my sewing-life, I'd been using regular Coats and Clark all-purpose cotton/polyester thread. Then when I found my antique Singer sewing machine, it came with an antique spool of Coats and Clark 100% cotton thread on it. I examined this spool, and found that the thread was thicker and just plain nicer than the all-purpose stuff, so I used it exclusively for my hand-sewing. Now it's gone. :( I've tried the Coats and Clark quilting thread, but it's so stiff and wiry that I don't like it for sewing unless I'm sewing really thick fabric, like wool or faux fur. The only brand of 100% cotton thread that I've heard of is Gutermann. Amazon sells a 3,000+yd cone for about $14. I've seen silk thread mentioned on quilting blogs, but I don't really see a need for that, unless it's really fantastic to use.

So what do you use? :)

Offline Lynne

• happy to be Catholic!
  • Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • We're all special snowflakes
  • Religion: Catholic (SSPX)
Re: ? for Fellow Hand-Sewers
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 08:05:53 AM »
Aurifil, an Italian brand of thread, is 100% cotton. If it's thicker thread that you like, you might want to check out their 40 wt. I love their 50 wt for everything but I used to use the 40 wt when I had a longarm.

You can find it on Amazon but another vendor has better prices for it, http://www.hawthornethreads.com/threads/aurifil
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 11:36:25 AM by Lynne »
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael’s Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

“My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you’re supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen.”

Offline queen.saints

• Mary Garden
  • Wachtmeister
  • Religion: Catholic
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 11:32:33 AM »
I use Coats and Clark All Purpose for black and white amd I have all these wooden spools with no brand for colors, but I'm running out. The one has its brand carved on.

Belding
Corticelli
125 yds  Size 50
Shade 1537

Belwaxed Mercerized Cotton
Fast to Boiling

Offline Bernadette

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 12:19:18 PM »
I use Coats and Clark All Purpose for black and white amd I have all these wooden spools with no brand for colors, but I'm running out. The one has its brand carved on.

Belding
Corticelli
125 yds  Size 50
Shade 1537

Fast to Boiling

I've seen the Corticelli thread for sale on Etsy and Ebay- usually in nifty little sewing cases, complete with scissors. :)

Offline queen.saints

• Mary Garden
  • Wachtmeister
  • Religion: Catholic
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 01:55:42 PM »

Belding
Corticelli
125 yds  Size 50
Shade 1537

Fast to Boiling

I've seen the Corticelli thread for sale on Etsy and Ebay- usually in nifty little sewing cases, complete with scissors. :)

Oooh, I'll have to look those up! I really like that particular thread. It's brown, but still pretty and super durable.

Offline Melanie_T

• Mary Garden
  • Vizekorporal
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 07:58:43 PM »
I use DMC embroidery threads, Mettelier metal threads, 2 dollar shop cotton thread for Or Nue work and acrylic yarns for knitting and crocheting.

Mel

Offline Bernadette

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2015, 12:51:14 AM »
The Gutermann's thread came yesterday, and it's great! It's smooth and doesn't fray and fuzz like the all-purpose stuff.

The following users thanked this post: verenaerin