Author Topic: Any Weavers?  (Read 2352 times)

Offline verenaerin

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • mother of a tiny tribe
  • Religion: Catholic
Re: Any Weavers?
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2015, 10:26:04 PM »
Thanks Lynn, I didn't know about that and just activated it. :)

Offline MundaCorMeum

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2015, 09:54:31 AM »
Thanks Lynn, I didn't know about that and just activated it. :)

Ditto.  I'm glad I peeked in here and saw that.  It'll definitely be useful now that my kids are starting to do some online research for school.

Offline Revixit

• Member, Pope Pius XII Generation
  • Mary Garden
  • Korporal
  • Religion: Roman Catholic, Old School
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2015, 05:27:07 AM »
I've thought about taking up weaving, but it seems really expensive.  I would love to make my own woven baby wraps though :)

A little boast: I brought my daughter home from the hospital in a handwoven white blanket made with a thick woolen weft.

My husband tells people I only finished weaving it the day I went into labor and I've stopped correcting him on that since he likes to tell the story. Now I just smile (modestly, I hope) instead. He's paying me a compliment, after all, which is very nice.

In reality, I'd finished the baby blanket well before my due date. I wasn't taking any chances! But on the day I went into labor, I was weaving all day and my husband remembers coming home from work and seeing me weaving the baby's blanket. In fact, I was weaving some wool scarves in autumn color oranges and reds, not a white baby blanket.

You can weave a wrap or blanket for a baby on a frame loom, and they are inexpensive to make.  You can buy the frame part but will have to hammer the nails in either end; the warp is wound around the nails. They are an ancient type of loom.  The Navajo weave blankets on frame looms, many people weave tapestries on them.  You should be able to find lots of info on frame looms and how to weave on them online and in library books.  I taught myself to weave entirely from books, and you can, too!  Your daughters might like weaving on small cardboard frame looms (no nails, you make notches in the ends to hold the warp in place.)  My daughter enjoyed it when she was young.

Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, Have Mercy On Us

Offline MundaCorMeum

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2015, 09:25:26 AM »
My 10 year old daughter took a large sheet of cardboard (probably from the side of an old diaper box, if I had to guess), cut a bunch of slits in two parallel sides, then used scrap yarn to weave a pot holder for my Mom.  Cheap, and it kept her busy for quite awhile :).  Granted, it's not a high quality weave, but sometimes you just gotta work with what you have!  I think she got the idea from an old highlights magazine.

Offline verenaerin

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • mother of a tiny tribe
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2015, 09:35:08 AM »
I've thought about taking up weaving, but it seems really expensive.  I would love to make my own woven baby wraps though :)

A little boast: I brought my daughter home from the hospital in a handwoven white blanket made with a thick woolen weft.

My husband tells people I only finished weaving it the day I went into labor and I've stopped correcting him on that since he likes to tell the story. Now I just smile (modestly, I hope) instead. He's paying me a compliment, after all, which is very nice.

In reality, I'd finished the baby blanket well before my due date. I wasn't taking any chances! But on the day I went into labor, I was weaving all day and my husband remembers coming home from work and seeing me weaving the baby's blanket. In fact, I was weaving some wool scarves in autumn color oranges and reds, not a white baby blanket.

You can weave a wrap or blanket for a baby on a frame loom, and they are inexpensive to make.  You can buy the frame part but will have to hammer the nails in either end; the warp is wound around the nails. They are an ancient type of loom.  The Navajo weave blankets on frame looms, many people weave tapestries on them.  You should be able to find lots of info on frame looms and how to weave on them online and in library books.  I taught myself to weave entirely from books, and you can, too!  Your daughters might like weaving on small cardboard frame looms (no nails, you make notches in the ends to hold the warp in place.)  My daughter enjoyed it when she was young.

That's incredible. Do you have any pictures?

Offline Arun

• Господи Ісусе Христе Сыне Божїй помилѹй м
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Catholic Forever Forever Catholic
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2015, 09:43:35 PM »
Any weavers?

nah, i could never get the hanging of making the bullets curve when i shoot.

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Never lose Hope... Take a deep breath and have a beer.

Mother Aubert Pray For Us!

vsay ego sudba V rukah Gospodnih