Author Topic: New Church - Hooray or Nay?  (Read 2734 times)

Offline Akavit

• Feldwebel
    • Traditional Catholic Furniture and Woodwork
  • Religion: Catholic
New Church - Hooray or Nay?
« on: March 12, 2015, 01:44:54 AM »
The Louisiana parish of St. George is set to begin the construction of their new church in Baton Rouge.  The project is scheduled to start this spring with completion potentially happening before Christmas of 2016.

The new building is being designed by GraceHebert Architects and will be on the corner of the church's current property at Kinglet Drive and Siegen Lane. It will seat about 1,200. The old church building will be used for an early childhood center.

The construction is being funded by "extremely generous" parishioners, and the church is still in the midst of its capital campaign, Hernandez said. The church also received a $75,000 grant from the E.J. and Marjory B. Ourso Family Foundation.

It's interesting to see that while modern parishes still tend to be stuck in NO mentality when it comes to arrangement of the sanctuary, ditching the ultra-ugly hippie era aesthetics in favor of adaptations of traditional architectural forms seems to be more common.  The floors are a winner and the presence of an impressive courtyard is welcome.

On the downside, there looks to be almost no iconography but perhaps that's just not portrayed in the renderings.  The sanctuary furnishings are also blah - especially the table-where-the-altar-should-be.  All things considered though, it looks to be a presentable structure that won't take another million dollars to convert into a Catholic church post-construction.  I think it's even laid out in cruciform manner despite the odd pew arrangement.

Read more at the link below.

St. George Catholic Church is set to build a new $15.2 million facility
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 01:46:32 AM by Akavit »

Offline OCLittleFlower

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • CALIFORNIA DEPLORABLE
  • Religion: Trad to the max!
Re: New Church - Hooray or Nay?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 07:30:23 AM »
It's rather blah, but perhaps the architects aren't in charge of statues, etc.  Or maybe they will afford those later.  Or maybe not.

And of course, it's a terrible altar arrangement, though I've seen worse.  Typical cooking demonstration new church layout.
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

Если вы можете прочитать это, вы лучше.

Offline Chestertonian

• The Stephen Hawking of SD
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Major
  • Eternal Gadfly
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 09:12:54 AM »
it looks like a cartoon barn on the outside
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Offline Maximilian

• Hauptmann
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 11:36:07 AM »
Nay.

It doesn't look like a church.

Offline 1seeker

• Korporal
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 11:43:03 AM »
It is a decent effort at least, compared to Modernist architecture. Yet it struggles on certain level: The pointed arch is meant to support a much larger building (like in old cathedrals). Here it's made into a portal/doorway, larger than the actual church, the rest of which is a round-roofed (?). The circular pews remind one of a theater, which is magnified by the raised 'stage' that is crowned with a 'podium'. There is (I guess?) a tiny fixed altar too. It's an odd mixture of the ancient and the modern, something we might call "JP II" style.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 11:45:37 AM by 1seeker »

Offline Chestertonian

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Major
  • Eternal Gadfly
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 11:53:23 AM »
traditionalesqye
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Offline Akavit

• Feldwebel
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 09:01:43 PM »
I suppose this is what happens when people try to use influences from older architectural styles based on a preference for the aesthetics but don't understand the theological reasons behind their original development.

The roof tops aren't rounded even though it looks that way.  Viewing the other pictures shows they are the same profile as the arches on the facades.

That thing that looks like a fixed altar isn't one.  I believe it's a tabernacle stand that holds a tabernacle on the other side of the glass.  That free-standing shield partitions a Eucharistic chapel from the main church.  There's probably a glass door in the partition that permits the Blessed Sacrament to removed from either side.  I've seen this arrangement in a church located in Naperville.

Looking back at the article, I just realized that it's already a full-sized, cruciform shape.  The first picture I grabbed shows the back of the church

This is the front but the back looks better.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 09:03:33 PM by Akavit »

Offline The Curt Jester

• Water-drinker at the Coffee Social
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Wachtmeister
  • Religion: Neo-Pelagian Angry Traditionalist with Narcissistic Tendencies
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 10:28:55 PM »
All I can say is that it's a big improvement over a church I stepped into the other day.

The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

Offline Chestertonian

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Major
  • Eternal Gadfly
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2015, 01:11:43 AM »
All I can say is that it's a big improvement over a church I stepped into the other day.

our lady of 1982

Offline Akavit

• Feldwebel
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2015, 01:15:16 AM »
Hmm.  The tabernacle is visible in that one.  It's almost as prominent as the grand piano next to the stage, er...  I mean sanctuary.

Offline verenaerin

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • mother of a tiny tribe
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2015, 11:20:08 AM »
That's what the local NO looks like here. At least you have a crucifix- we have a Resurrection cross. Ours also has lots of the stained glass windows that look like a bunch of broken colored glass pieces put together- they don't make a picture. Also, all the seated goes down to the altar, like a movie theater, but not as extreme.

Offline verenaerin

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • mother of a tiny tribe
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2015, 11:21:54 AM »
I suppose this is what happens when people try to use influences from older architectural styles based on a preference for the aesthetics but don't understand the theological reasons behind their original development.

This. They probably don't even know that there is a theory behind how churches are constructed. Too bad. It's probably something that would be interesting to them.

Offline LausTibiChriste

• #ImpeachFrancis2018
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • sip sip
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2015, 06:41:14 PM »
Sure is a far cry from something like this:

‎"Traditionalists are some of the worst modernists on the planet"
     -Fr. Chad Ripperger

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"