Hello...

Started by Smcc, August 27, 2018, 12:05:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smcc

What brings you to SD? I have had slow revelation for the past 15+ years regarding faith. It's complicated (as most are) but full of much grace (thank you Lord) - I never left the faith...was a good boy but apathetic about more than I should have ever been, I was raised going to Mass on Sundays, went to catholic school k-12, had the grace of a good diocese and parish, I met my wife at in my early 20's at a non-catholic youth group, had some revelation through Fr. Malachi Martin about 15 years ago, with the death of my dad a couple of years ago (who I believe had a miracle in living so long with terminal cancer) I got deeper into our faith and have gone to an annual conference where I heard Fr. Bill Casey one year...in looking up sermons of his on YouTube, I found Fr. Ripperger and have been listening to much of his teachings. I don't recall hearing of Fatima or other events as a kid...I feel like we are certainly in the early stages of the chastisement now...I'm doing what I can to lead my family and I feel that I am called to ensure that I am educated about as much as I can so that I can keep our tradition and knowledge alive. Sadly, I feel it is going to worse. I just recently attended a Solemn High Mass (on the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary) a couple of weeks ago...I sure wish I had taken latin in high school.

Are you a member of other Internet fora?  If so, care to mention which one(s)? Some.
Why did you choose your username and avatar? Not very original, part of my name. Perhaps I should change it.
What is your state of life - single, married, religious, or still discerning? Married, for more than a decade now.
Whereabouts do you live "in real life"? (be as specific or as general as you wish!) Chicago Area
Personality type? Not sure of my Myers-Brigss... bit of a perfectionist and a procrastinator - hard to get things done. lol
Favorite books? Unfortunately, I read a lot of non-fiction or business related books. As a kid I enjoyed "Stone Soup" and later on "Hatchet", on my nightstand I've been working my way though "Understanding the Catechism " by Spirago (?sp), I have "The Devil's Final Battle Our Lady's Victory Edition" next. 
Favorite movies? Have to be careful as password resets uses these questions. I enjoy dramas, movies with some good vs. bad theme. Lord of the Rings, The Mission, Road to Perdition, Les Miserables, Out of Africa, The Game, Frequency, more mafia movies than I should admit to...I enjoy good cinematography.
Favorite TV shows? Better Call Saul, This Old House, Home Improvement, Breaking Bad.
Favorite sports/teams Chicago Cubs.
Have any hobbies? Started cycling recently. I'm a private pilot. I enjoy woodworking, landscaping, cooking. Spending time with our kids.
Pet peeves: People that don't help, complain, can't admit their faults...I have many faults personally.
Fun random fact about yourself: Came to realize recently that someone I know was mentored by a famous padre of the 20th century.

PerEvangelicaDicta

They shall not be confounded in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be filled
Psalms 36:19

Jacob

Gary Paulson is a great author.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Lynne

In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

mikemac

Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source

Heinrich

Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

red solo cup

non impediti ratione cogitationis

Michael Wilson

I also loved the L.O.T.R. Movies. I fell in love with the books when I was in High School (a long time ago). I think I read the books so many times, that I can't pick them up anymore to this day.
Welcome to the forum!
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers