Hello!

Started by Ascanio1, December 21, 2019, 05:14:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ascanio1

Merry morning to everyone,

I am Italian, 54, married to a Russian Orthodox and blessed with an adorable four year old daughter. Two years ago we moved to Italy from Japan (where I lived for 19 years and where I married my wife and had our daughter).

I was a reformist Catholic (without knowing it) and I have recently reverted to Catholicism thanks to a chance visit to cathinfo.com where I became aware of the crisis in our beloved mother Church. I have recently joined an SSPX Chapel and I am on my way to my first Holy Communion as I am still consolidationg my conviction that we are in a state of necessity.

My family of origin are devout (reformist) Catholics and I was home schooled until twelve by a Jesuit priest who lived with us, in our home. I later attended a Catholic school in England where I begun straying off course because of culplable intellectual and spiritual indolence: I never quesitoned the reforms that the governance of the Church was presenting me with and I accepted them blindly.

During the past month or so I have busied myself with studying catechism to catch up with all that I forgot so I apologize if I have little time to follow advices that recommend reading books. I will greatly appreciate prayers, help advice and comments that can help me on my path back home to our Church.

For full disclosure I understand that I may be in error as I have been explained that Catholics must reject free speech. I am a firm believer that - given this particular conjuncture and circumstance - it is in our Church's best interest to promote and support free speech.
Tommaso
+ IHSV

red solo cup

non impediti ratione cogitationis

Michael Wilson

Welcome to the forum!
Re. "Free Speech"; yes, the trend now under the cover of "politically correct", to prohibit the teaching of the truth. We can support free speech always keeping in mind that we really mean "freedom of the truth".
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Fleur-de-Lys

Benvenuto al foro, ascaio!

Prayerful

Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Lynne

In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Xavier

Welcome, Ascanio! Nice to see you here on Suscipe Domine. Hope you enjoy your time here. All Freedom is God-Given. God gives us who hold His Truth the right and duty to propagate it everywhere. Error as such has no rights. Those who are in ignorance of the Truth, like non-Catholics, have the right to freely seek the Truth, and the duty to embrace it once it is known. We have the right and duty to teach them. :)

God bless.
Bible verses on walking blamelessly with God, after being forgiven from our former sins. Some verses here: https://dailyverses.net/blameless

"[2] He that walketh without blemish, and worketh justice:[3] He that speaketh truth in his heart, who hath not used deceit in his tongue: Nor hath done evil to his neighbour: nor taken up a reproach against his neighbours.(Psalm 14)

"[2] For in many things we all offend. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man."(James 3)

"[14] And do ye all things without murmurings and hesitations; [15] That you may be blameless, and sincere children of God, without reproof, in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation; among whom you shine as lights in the world." (Phil 2:14-15)

Heinrich

Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Ascanio1

Quote from: Michael Wilson on December 21, 2019, 07:55:28 AM
Welcome to the forum!
Re. "Free Speech"; yes, the trend now under the cover of "politically correct", to prohibit the teaching of the truth. We can support free speech always keeping in mind that we really mean "freedom of the truth".
Actually my position is to allow freedom of any speech. True or false that it may be, mine or of my adversary's. Catholic or pagan. Offensive or not.

I am against the very principle that any one party may ever determine truth and consequently compress the other party's s freedom to express differently.

It is irrelevant if this be my party or my adversary party because the risk is that today I enjoy this privilege and tomorrow my adversary will.
Tommaso
+ IHSV

Ascanio1

Tommaso
+ IHSV

Ascanio1

Quote from: Xavier on December 27, 2019, 05:12:24 PM
Welcome, Ascanio! Nice to see you here on Suscipe Domine. Hope you enjoy your time here. All Freedom is God-Given. God gives us who hold His Truth the right and duty to propagate it everywhere. Error as such has no rights. Those who are in ignorance of the Truth, like non-Catholics, have the right to freely seek the Truth, and the duty to embrace it once it is known. We have the right and duty to teach them. :) God bless.

Thank you Xavier, especially for the blessing but we will have to agree to disagree because I believe that also error has a right to express itself.

Today you could be in power and have the capacity to silence error but tomorrow error could be in power and have the capacity to silence Truth (which is what is happening now in my country).
Tommaso
+ IHSV

Fleur-de-Lys

Quote from: Ascanio1 on February 08, 2020, 09:56:19 AM
Quote from: Fleur-de-Lys on December 27, 2019, 11:55:53 AM
Benvenuto al foro, ascaio!
Grazie!  :) Parli Italiano?

Parlavo meglio quando avevo più tempo e più opportunità di praticare, ma ci riesco ancora.  :)

GBoldwater

Quote from: Ascanio1 on February 08, 2020, 09:58:14 AM
Quote from: Xavier on December 27, 2019, 05:12:24 PM
Welcome, Ascanio! Nice to see you here on Suscipe Domine. Hope you enjoy your time here. All Freedom is God-Given. God gives us who hold His Truth the right and duty to propagate it everywhere. Error as such has no rights. Those who are in ignorance of the Truth, like non-Catholics, have the right to freely seek the Truth, and the duty to embrace it once it is known. We have the right and duty to teach them. :) God bless.

Thank you Xavier, especially for the blessing but we will have to agree to disagree because I believe that also error has a right to express itself.

Today you could be in power and have the capacity to silence error but tomorrow error could be in power and have the capacity to silence Truth (which is what is happening now in my country).

The Church says that error has no rights.
My posting in the non-Catholic sub-forum does not imply that I condone the decision to allow non-Catholics here. I consider non-Catholics here to be de facto "trolls" against the Catholic Faith that should be banned. I believe this is traditional Catholic moral procedure.

Exsurge Domine

Quote from: Ascanio1 on February 08, 2020, 09:54:23 AMI am against the very principle that any one party may ever determine truth and consequently compress the other party's s freedom to express differently.

It is irrelevant if this be my party or my adversary party because the risk is that today I enjoy this privilege and tomorrow my adversary will.

This is heresy. Relativistic nonsense. Error has no rights and the Church has the moral duty to suppress it. Freedom of speech is a masonic idea.
"Rome will lose the faith and become the seat of Antichrist." - Our Lady of La Salette

Xavier

Hi Ascanio, I'm afraid GBoldwater is right on this one. Truth has rights because God gave us the right to spread it everywhere. Error strictly has no rights, because error comes from evil. To say error has rights is like the modern pro-choice movement, "I have a right to do evil and to kill". No you do not. Similarly, no one has right to error, per se. Now, as Pope Pius XII explains for us, that doesn't mean that the Church very often hasn't promoted religious tolerance in the past, as in fact She has. Tolerance is allowed and is one thing, because tolerance still shows that what is being tolerated is wrong; it is just hoped for that the person will come out of it in time, by being converted to the Truth. But to say a person has to right to error is like saying he has a right to lie, because every error against God is an objective lie against Him, or even that he has a right to sin, because spreading error is a sin against God; but he clearly cannot have these.

Here is Pope Pius XII explain it for us, on Dec. 6th, 1953: "Thus the two principles are clarified to which recourse must be had in concrete cases for the answer to the serious question concerning the attitude which the jurist, the statesman and the sovereign Catholic state is to adopt in consideration of the community of nations in regard to a formula of religious and moral toleration as described above. First: that which does not correspond to truth or to the norm of morality objectively has no right to exist, to be spread or to be activated. Secondly: failure to impede this with civil laws and coercive measures can nevertheless be justified in the interests of a higher and more general good.

Before all else the Catholic statesman must judge if this condition is verified in the concrete—this is the "question of fact." In his decision he will permit himself to be guided by weighing the dangerous consequences that stem from toleration against those from which the community of nations will be spared, if the formula of toleration be accepted. Moreover, he will be guided by the good which, according to a wise prognosis, can be derived from toleration for the international community as such, and indirectly for the member state. In that which concerns religion and morality he will also ask for the judgment of the Church. For her, only He to whom Christ has entrusted the guidance of His whole Church is competent to speak in the last instance on such vital questions, touching international life; that is, the Roman Pontiff." https://www.ewtn.com/catholicism/library/ci-riesce-8948
Bible verses on walking blamelessly with God, after being forgiven from our former sins. Some verses here: https://dailyverses.net/blameless

"[2] He that walketh without blemish, and worketh justice:[3] He that speaketh truth in his heart, who hath not used deceit in his tongue: Nor hath done evil to his neighbour: nor taken up a reproach against his neighbours.(Psalm 14)

"[2] For in many things we all offend. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man."(James 3)

"[14] And do ye all things without murmurings and hesitations; [15] That you may be blameless, and sincere children of God, without reproof, in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation; among whom you shine as lights in the world." (Phil 2:14-15)