RULE/MARTYROLOGY THREAD

Started by OmniaInstaurareInChristo, May 01, 2013, 08:27:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OmniaInstaurareInChristo

The reading appointed from the Rule of St. Benedict for February 2:

CHAPTER VII
Of Humility (cont.)

The fifth degree of humility is, not to hide from one's Abbot any of the evil thoughts that beset one's heart, or the sins committed in secret, but humbly to confess them. Concerning which the Scripture exhorteth us, saying: "Make known thy way unto the Lord, and hope in Him." And again: "Confess to the Lord, for He is good, and His mercy endureth for ever." So also the prophet saith: "I have made known to Thee mine offence, and mine iniquities I have not hidden. I will confess against myself my iniquities to the Lord: and Thou hast forgiven the wickedness of my heart."

Martyrology-February 3rd
Roman Martyrology-February 3rd-on this date in various years-

At Sebaste in Armenia, in the time of the governor Agricolaus, the passion of St. Blaise, bishop and martyr, who, after working many miracles, was scourged for a long time, suspended from a tree where his flesh was lacerated with iron combs. He was then imprisoned in a dark dungeon, thrown into a lake from which he came out safe, and finally, by order of the judge, he and two boys were beheaded. Before him, seven women who were gathering the drops of his blood during his torture, were recognized as Christians, and after undergoing severe torments, were put to death by the sword.

In Africa, St. Celerinus, deacon, who was kept nineteen days in prison burdened with fetters, and who gloriously confessed Christ in the midst of afflictions. By overcoming the enemy with invincible constancy, he shewed to others the road to victory.

In the same place, three holy martyrs who were relatives of the same deacon Celerinus; his father's brother Laurentinus, his mother's brother Ignatius and his grandmother Celerina. They were crowned with martyrdom earlier, and were praised highly in an epistle by blessed Cyprian.

Likewise in Africa, the holy martyrs Felix, Symphronius, Hippolytus, and their companions.

In the town of Gap in France, the holy bishops Tigides and Remedius.

At Lyons in France, Saints Lupicinus and Felix, also bishops.

At Bremen, St. Ansgar, bishop of Hamburg and later of Bremen, who converted the Swedes and the Danes to the faith of Christ. He was appointed Apostolic Delegate of all the North by Pope Gregory IV.

And elsewhere in divers places, many other holy martyrs, confessors, and holy virgins.
R. Thanks be to God.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OmniaInstaurareInChristo

The reading appointed from the Rule of St. Benedict for February 3:

CHAPTER VII
Of Humility (cont.)

The sixth degree of humility is, for a monk to be contented with the meanest and worst of everything, and in all that is enjoined him to esteem himself a bad and worthless labourer, saying with the prophet: "I have been brought to nothing, and I knew it not: I am become as a beast before Thee, yet I am always with Thee."

Martyrology-February 4th
Roman Martyrology-February 4th-on this date in various years-

St. Andrew Corsini, Carmelite bishop of Fiesole, confessor, whose birthday is the 6th of January.

At Rome, St. Eutychius, who endured a glorious martyrdom and was buried in the cemetery of Callistus. Pope St. Damasus wrote an epitaph in verse for his tomb.

At Thumis in Egypt, in the persecution of Diocletian, the passion of blessed Philaeus, bishop of that city, and of Philoromus, military tribune, who rejected the exhortations of their relatives and friends to save themselves, offered themselves to death, and so merited immortal palms from God. With them was crowned with martyrdom a numberless multitude of the faithful of the same place, who followed the example of their pastor.

At Fossombrone, the holy martyrs Aquilinus, Geminus, Gelasius, Magnus, and Donatus.

In Marava Kingdom in India, St. John de Britto, priest of the Society of Jesus, who having converted many infidels to the faith, was gloriously crowned with martyrdom.

At Troyes in France, St. Aventin, priest and confessor.

At Pelusium in Egypt, St. Isidore, a monk renowned for merit and learning.

At Sempringham in England, St. Gilbert, priest and confessor, who founded a religious order at Sempringham.

In the town of Amatrice, in the diocese of Rieti, the death of St. Joseph of Leonissa, a Capuchin priest who suffered greatly from the Mohammedans. As he was celebrated for his apostolic labours and miracles, he was placed on the list of holy confessors by the Sovereign Pontiff, Benedict XIV.

At Bremen, the commemoration of St. Rembert, who was a disciple of St. Ansgar, and on this day took his place as bishop of Hamburg and Bremen, the day after the death of his master.

At Bourges in Aquitaine, St. Jane de Valois, Queen of France, foundress of the Order of Sisters of the Annunciation of the blessed Virgin Mary, renowned for her piety and singular devotion to the Cross, whom Pope Pius XII added to the catalogue of saints.

And elsewhere in divers places, many other holy martyrs, confessors, and holy virgins.
R. Thanks be to God.

OmniaInstaurareInChristo

The reading appointed from the Rule of St. Benedict for February 4:

CHAPTER VII
Of Humility (cont.)

The seventh degree of humility is, that he should not only call himself with his tongue lower and viler than all, but also believe himself in his inmost heart to be so, humbling himself, and saying with the prophet: "I am a worm and no man, the shame of men and the outcast of the people: I have been exalted, and cast down, and confounded." And again: "It is good for me that Thou hast humbled me, that I may learn Thy commandments."

Martyrology-February 5th
Roman Martyrology-February 5th-on this date in various years-

At Catana in Sicily, in the time of Emperor Decius and the judge Quinctian, the birthday of St. Agatha, virgin and martyr. After being buffeted, imprisoned, tortured, racked, dragged over pieces of earthenware and burning coals, and having her breasts cut away, she completed her sacrifice in prison while engaged in prayer.

At Nagasaki in Japan, the passion of twenty-six martyrs. Three priests, one cleric, and two lay brothers were members of the Order of Friars Minor; one cleric was of the Society of Jesus, and seventeen belonged to the Third Order of St. Francis. All of them, placed upon crosses for the Catholic faith, and pierced with lances, gloriously died in praising God and preaching that same faith. Their names were added to the roll of saints by Pope Pius IX.

In Pontus, during the persecution of Maximian, the commemoration of many holy martyrs, some of whom had molten lead poured on them, others had sharp reeds thrust under their nails, and were often horribly tormented in many other ways. Thus, by their glorious suffering, they deserved to receive at the hands of God palms of victory and their crowns.

At Alexandria, during the persecution of Decius, St. Isidore, martyr, who was beheaded for the faith of Christ by Numerian, general of the army.

At Vienne, blessed Avitus, bishop and confessor, whose faith, labours, and admirable learning protected France against the ravages of the Arian heresy.

At Sabion in the Tyrol, St. Genuinus, bishop, whose illustrious life abounded in miracles. His revered body was afterwards taken to Brixen where a shrine was erected in his honour.

At Brixen, St. Albinus, bishop, who moved the Episcopal See from Sabion to that city, and there, eminent by virtue of his miracles, passed to the Lord.

R. Thanks be to God.

OmniaInstaurareInChristo

The reading appointed from the Rule of St. Benedict for February 5:

CHAPTER VII
Of Humility (cont.)

The eighth degree of humility is, for a monk to do nothing except what is authorised by the common rule of the monastery, or the example of his seniors.

Martyrology-February 6th
Roman Martyrology-February 6th-on this date in various years-

St. Titus, confessor and bishop of Crete, whose birthday is on the fourth of January.

At Caesarea in Cappadocia, the birthday of St. Dorothy, virgin and martyr, who was stretched on the rack, then scourged for a long time with the boughs of a palm tree, and finally condemned to capital punishment by Sapricius, governor of the province. Her noble confession of Christ converted a lawyer named Theophilus, who also was tortured in a barbarous manner, and finally put to death by the sword.

At Emessa in Phoenicia, in the time of Emperor Maximian, St. Silvanus, bishop, who, after having governed that church for forty years, was delivered to the beasts with two other Christians, and having his limbs all mangled, received the crown of martyrdom.

The same day, the holy martyrs Caturninus, Theophilus, and Revocata.

In Auvergne in France, St. Atholian, martyr.

At Arras in France, St. Vedast, bishop of that city. The glory of his life and death is attested by many miracles.

At Elnon in France, St. Amand, bishop of Maestricht, who was renowned for his miracles during his life and in death. In the town which was named after him, he lived and died in a monastery that he had built.

At Bologna, St. Guarinus, bishop of Palestrina and cardinal, conspicuous for his holiness of life.

R. Thanks be to God.

OmniaInstaurareInChristo

The reading appointed from the Rule of St. Benedict for February 6:

CHAPTER VII
Of Humility (cont.)

The ninth degree of humility is, that a monk refrain his tongue from speaking, keeping silence until a question be asked him, as the Scripture sheweth: "In much talking thou shalt not avoid sin": and, "The talkative man shall not be directed upon the earth."

Martyrology-February 7th
Roman Martyrology-February 7th-on this date in various years-

St. Romuald, founder of the Camaldolese monks, whose birthday is the 19th of June, but celebrated today because of the transference of his body.

At London, England, the birthday of blessed Augulus, bishop, who ended the course of his life by martyrdom, and deserved to receive an eternal recompense.

In Phrygia, St. Adaucus, martyr, an Italian of noble birth, who was honoured by the emperors with almost every dignity. While he was still discharging the office of quæstor, he was judged worthy of the crown of martyrdom for his defence of the faith.

Also, many holy martyrs, citizens of this same city of which Adaucus was mayor. As they were all Christians, and persisted in the confession of the faith, they were burned to death by Emperor Galerius Maximian.

At Heraclea, in the reign of Licinius, St. Theodore, a military officer, who was beheaded after undergoing many torments, and went victoriously to heaven.

In Egypt, St. Moses, a venerable bishop, who first led a solitary life in the desert, and afterwards, at the request of Mauvia, queen of the Saracens, converted to the faith the greater part of that barbarous people. Being made a bishop, and rich in merits, he peacefully went to his reward.

At Lucca in Tuscany, the death of St. Richard, king of England. He was the father of St. Willebald, bishop of Eichstadt, and of St. Walburga, virgin.

At Bologna, St. Juliana, widow.

R. Thanks be to God.

OmniaInstaurareInChristo

The reading appointed from the Rule of St. Benedict for February 7:

CHAPTER VII
Of Humility (cont.)

The tenth degree of humility is, that he be not easily moved and prompt to laughter; because it is written: "The fool lifteth up his voice in laughter.

Martyrology-February 8th
Roman Martyrology-February 8th-on this date in various years-

St. John of Matha, priest and confessor, founder of the Order of the Most Holy Trinity for the redemption of captives, who went to repose in the Lord on the 17th of December.

At Somascha, in the district of Bergamo, the birthday of St. Jerome Emilian, confessor, who was the founder of the Congregation of Somascha. Illustrious both during his life and after death for many miracles, he was inscribed in the roll of the saints by Pope Clement XIII. Pope Pius XI chose and declared him to be the heavenly patron of orphans and abandoned children. His feast is celebrated on the 20th of July.

At Rome, the holy martyrs Paul, Lucius, and Cyriacus.

In Lesser Armenia, the birthday of the holy martyrs Denis, Aemilian, and Sebastian.

At Constantinople, the birthday of the holy martyrs, monks of the monastery of Dius. While bringing the letter of Pope St. Felix against Acacius, they were barbarously killed for their defence of the Catholic faith.

In Persia, in the time of King Cabades, the commemoration of the holy martyrs, who were put to death by various kinds of torments on account of their Christian faith.

At Alexandria, under Emperor Decius, the martyr St. Cointha, whom the pagans seized, led to the idols, and urged to adore them. As she refused with horror, they put her feet in chains, and dragged her through the streets of the city, mangling her body in a most barbarous manner.

At Pavia, St. Juventius, bishop, who laboured with zeal in preaching the Gospel.

At Milan, the death of St. Honoratus, bishop and confessor.

At Verdun in France, St. Paul, a bishop renowned for his miracles.

At Muret, near Limoges, the birthday of the abbot St. Stephen, founder of the order of Grandmont, celebrated for his virtues and miracles.

In the monastery of Vallombrosa, blessed Peter, cardinal and bishop of Albano, a member of the Congregation of Vallombrosa of the Order of St. Benedict. He was surnamed Igneus because he passed through fire unharmed.

R. Thanks be to God.

OmniaInstaurareInChristo

The reading appointed from the Rule of St. Benedict for February 8

CHAPTER VII
Of Humility (cont.)

The eleventh degree of humility is, that when a monk speaketh, he do so gently and without laughter, humbly, gravely, with few and reasonable words, and that he be not noisy in his speech, as it is written: ?A wise man is known by the fewness of his words.?

Martyrology-February 9th
Roman Martyrology-February 9th-on this date in various years-

For 2020 Septuagesima Sunday, on which the canticle of the Lord, Alleluia, ceaseth to be said.

St. Cyril, bishop of Alexandria, confessor and doctor of the Church. His birthday was mentioned on the 28th of January.

At Alexandria, in the reign of Decius, the birthday of St. Apollonia, virgin, who had all her teeth broken out by the persecutors; then, having constructed and lighted a pyre, they threatened to burn her alive unless she
uttered with them certain impious words. Deliberating a while within herself, she suddenly slipped from their grasp, and prompted by the greater fire of the Holy Ghost within her, she rushed voluntarily into the fire which they had prepared. Those responsible for her death were struck with terror at the sight of a woman who was more willing to die than they to kill her.

At Rome, the passion of the holy martyrs Alexander and thirty-eight others crowned with him.

In the village of Lamelum in Africa, the holy martyrs Primus and Donatus, deacons, who were killed by the Donatists as they guarded the altar in the church.

At Solum in Cyprus, the holy martyrs Ammonius and Alexander.

At Antioch, under Emperor Valerian, St. Nicephorus, martyr, who was beheaded and thus received the crown of martyrdom.

In the monastery of Fontanelle in France, St. Ansbert, bishop of Rouen.

At Canossa in Apulia, St. Sabinus, bishop and confessor. Blessed Pope Gregory tells that he was endowed with the spirit of prophecy and the power of miracles. After he had become blind, when a cup of poison was
offered to him by a servant who was bribed, he knew it by divine instinct. He, however, declared that God would punish the one who had bribed the servant, and, making the sign of the cross, he drank the poison without anxiety and without harmful effect.

R. Thanks be to God.

OmniaInstaurareInChristo

The reading appointed from the Rule of St. Benedict for February 9:

CHAPTER VII
Of Humility (cont.)

The twelfth degree of humility is, that the monk, not only in his heart, but also in his very exterior, always shew his humility to all who see him: that is, in the work of God, in the oratory, in the monastery, in the garden, on the road, in the field or wherever he may be, whether sitting, walking or standing, with head always bent down, and eyes fixed on the earth, that he ever think of the guilt of his sins, and imagine himself already present before the terrible judgment-seat of God: always saying in his heart what the publican in the Gospel said with his eyes fixed on the earth: "Lord, I a sinner am not worthy to raise mine eyes to heaven." And again, with the prophet: "I am bowed down and humbled on every side."

Having, therefore, ascended all these degrees of humility, the monk will presently arrive at that love of God which, being perfect, casteth out fear: whereby he shall begin to keep, without labour, and as it were naturally and by custom, all those precepts which he had hitherto observed through fear: no longer through dread of hell, but for the love of Christ, and of a good habit and a delight in virtue which God will vouchsafe to manifest by the Holy Spirit in his labourer, now cleansed from vice and sin.

Martyrology-February 10th
Roman Martyrology-February 10th-on this date in various years-

On Monte Cassino, St. Scholastica, virgin, whose soul was seen by her brother, St. Benedict, abbot, leaving her body in the form of a dove, and ascending into heaven.

At Rome, the holy martyrs Zoticus, Irenaeus, Hyacinth, and Amantius.

In the same place, on the Via Lavicana, ten holy soldiers, martyrs.

Also at Rome, on the Appian Way, St. Soter, virgin and martyr, descended of a noble family, but as St. Ambrose mentions, for the love of Christ she set at naught the consular and other dignitaries of her people. Upon her refusal to sacrifice to the gods, she was for a long time cruelly scourged. She overcame these and various other torments, then was struck with the sword; and joyfully went to her heavenly spouse.

In Campania, St. Silvanus, bishop and confessor.

At Malavalle, near Siena, St. William, hermit.

In the diocese of Rouen, St. Austreberta, virgin, renowned for miracles.

R. Thanks be to God.

OmniaInstaurareInChristo

The reading appointed from the Rule of St. Benedict for February 10:

CHAPTER VIII
Of the Divine Office at Night

In winter time, that is, from the first of November until Easter, the brethren shall rise at what may be reasonably calculated to be the eighth hour of the night;* so that having rested till some time past midnight, they may rise having had their full sleep. And let the time that remains after the Night-Office be spent in study by those brethren who have still some part of the Psalter and lessons to learn. But from Easter to the first of November let the hour for the Night-Office be so arranged that, after a very short interval, during which the brethren may go out for the necessities of nature, Lauds, which are to be said at day-break, may follow without delay.

Martyrology-February 11th
Roman Martyrology-February 11th-on this date in various years-

At Lourdes in France, the apparition of Blessed Mary, Virgin Immaculate.

At Adrianople, the holy martyrs Lucius, bishop, and his companions. Lucius suffered much from the Arians under Constantius, and completed his martyrdom in prison. The others, among the foremost citizens, refusing to communicate with the Arians, who were just condemned in the Council of Sardica, were sentenced to capital punishment by the count Philagrius.

In Africa, during the persecution of Diocletian, the birthday of the holy martyrs Saturninus, a priest, Davitus, Felix, Ampelius, and their companions. They had, as was their custom, assembled for Mass when they were seized by the soldiers and put to death, under the proconsul Anolinus.

In Numidia, in the same persecution, the commemoration of many holy martyrs, who, refusing after their apprehension to deliver the holy Scriptures in conformity with an imperial edict, were given over to most painful torments and slain.

At Rome, Pope St. Gregory II, who courageously withstood the impiety of Leo the Isaurian, and sent St. Boniface to preach the Gospel in Germany.

Also at Rome, Pope St. Paschal I, who raised many bodies of the holy martyrs from their crypts, and buried them with honour in various churches in the city.

At Ravenna, St. Calocerus, bishop and confessor.

At Milan, St. Lazarus, bishop.

At Capua, St. Castrensis, bishop.

At Chateau Landon in France, St. Severin, abbot of the monastery of Agaune, by whose prayers the Christian king Clovis was delivered from a long sickness.

In Egypt, St. Jonas, a monk, eminent for his virtues.

At Vienne in France, the translation of the body of St. Desiderius, bishop and martyr, from the district of Lyons where he had died on the 23rd of May.

R. Thanks be to God.

OmniaInstaurareInChristo

The reading appointed from the Rule of St. Benedict for February 11:

CHAPTER IX
How Many Psalms Are to Be Said at the Night Office

In winter time, after beginning with the verse, "O God, come to my assistance; O Lord, make haste to help me," with the Gloria, let the words, "O Lord, Thou wilt open my lips, and my mouth shall declare Thy praise," be next repeated thrice; then the third Psalm, with a Gloria, after which the ninety-fourth Psalm is to be said or sung, with an antiphon. Next let a hymn follow, and then six Psalms with antiphons. These being said, and also a versicle, let the Abbot give the blessing and, all being seated, let three lessons be read by the brethren in turns, from the book on the lectern. Between the lessons let three responsories be sung - two of them without a Gloria, but after the third let the reader say the Gloria: and as soon as he begins it, let all rise from their seats out of honour and reverence to the Holy Trinity. Let the divinely inspired books, both of the Old and New Testaments, be read at the Night-Office, and also the commentaries upon them written by the most renowned, orthodox and Catholic Fathers. After these three lessons with their responsories, let six more Psalms follow, to be sung with an Alleluia. Then let a lesson from the Apostle be said by heart, with a verse and the petition of the Litany, that is, Kyrie eleison. And so let the Night-Office come to an end.

Martyrology-February 12th
Roman Martyrology-February 12th-on this date in various years-

The seven Holy Founders of the Order of  Servites of the Blessed Virgin Mary, whose deaths are noted on their respective days. As one spirit of true  fraternal love united them in life, and as the people joined them together in the same veneration after death, Pope Leo XIII placed them together in the catalogue of the saints.

In Africa, St. Damian, soldier and martyr.

At Carthage, the holy martyrs Modestus and Julian.

At Alexandria, the holy children Modestus and Ammonius, martyrs.

At Barcelona in Spain, in the time of Emperor Diocletian, St. Eulalia, virgin, who, being racked, torn with iron hooks, cast into the fire, and crucified, received the glorious crown of martyrdom.

At Constantinople, St. Meletius, bishop of Antioch, who often suffered exile for the Catholic faith, and finally died at Constantinople and went to his reward. His virtues have been extolled by St. John Chrysostom and St. Gregory of Nyssa.

Also at Constantinople, St. Anthony, a bishop in the time of Emperor Leo VI.

At Verona, St. Gaudentius, bishop and confessor.

R. Thanks be to God.

OmniaInstaurareInChristo

The reading appointed from the Rule of St. Benedict for February 12:

CHAPTER X
How the Night-Office is to be said in Summer Time

From Easter to the first of November let the same number of Psalms be recited as prescribed above; only that no lessons are to be read from the book, on account of the shortness of the night: but instead of those three lessons let one from the Old Testament be said by heart, followed by a short responsory, and the rest as before laid down; so that never less than twelve Psalms, not counting the third and ninety-fourth, be said at the Night-Office.

Martyrology-February 13th
Roman Martyrology-February 13th-on this date in various years-

At Antioch, the birthday of St. Agabus, prophet, of whom mention is made by St. Luke in the Acts of the Apostles.

At Todi in Umbria, St. Benignus, priest and martyr, who would not cease spreading the Christian faith. In the reign of Emperors Diocletian and Maximian he was taken by the pagans, suffered various tortures, and finally reached the perfection of his priestly office with the honour of martyrdom.

At Meletine in Armenia, in the persecution of Decius, St. Polyeuctus, who, after many sufferings, obtained the crown of martyrdom.

At Lyons in France, St. Julian, martyr.

At Ravenna, in the time of Emperor Decius and the governor Quinctian, the Saints Fusca, virgin, and Maura, her nurse. They endured many afflictions, but were finally transfixed with a sword, and thus ended their martyrdom.

At Lyons in France, St. Stephen, bishop and confessor.

At Rieti, the abbot St. Stephen, a man of wonderful patience, at whose death, as is related by blessed Pope Gregory, the holy angels were present and visible to all.

R. Thanks be to God.

OmniaInstaurareInChristo

The reading appointed from the Rule of St. Benedict for February 13:

CHAPTER XI
How the Night-Office is to be said on Sundays

On Sunday let the brethren rise earlier for the Night-Office, which is to be arranged as follows. When six Psalms and a versicle have been sung (as already prescribed), all being seated in order in their stalls, let four lessons with their responsories be read from the book, as before: and to the last responsory only let the reader add a Gloria, all reverently rising as soon as he begins it. After the lessons let six more Psalms follow in order, with their antiphons and versicle as before; and then let four more lessons, with their responsories, be read in the same way as the former. Next let three canticles from the Prophets be said, as the Abbot shall appoint, which canticles are to be sung with an Alleluia. After the versicle, and the blessing given by the Abbot, let four more lessons from the New Testament be read as before; and at the end of the fourth responsory, let the Abbot begin the hymn, Te Deum laudamus. After the hymn, let the Abbot read the lesson from the Gospel, while all stand in awe and reverence. The Gospel being ended, let all answer Amen. Then let the Abbot go on with the hymn, Te decet laus; and after the blessing hath been given,* let them begin Lauds. This order for the Night-Offices is always to be observed on Sunday, alike in summer and in winter, unless perchance (which God forbid) they rise too late, in which case the lessons or responsories must be somewhat shortened.* Let all care, however, be taken that this do not happen; but if it should, let him, through whose neglect it hath come to pass, make satisfaction for it in the oratory.

Martyrology-February 14th
Roman Martyrology-February 14th-on this date in various years-

At Rome, on the Flaminian Way, in the time of Emperor Claudius, the birthday of St. Valentine, priest and martyr, who after having cured and instructed many persons, was beaten with clubs and beheaded.

In the same place, St. Cyril, bishop, who together with his brother Methodius, also a bishop, whose birthday is the 6th of April, brought many people and the rulers of Moravia to the faith of Christ. Their feast is celebrated on the 7th of July.

Also at Rome, the holy martyrs Vitalis, Felicula and Zeno.

At Teramo, St. Valentine, bishop and martyr, who was scourged, committed to prison, and, because he remained unshaken in his faith, was taken out of his dungeon in the dead of night and beheaded by order of Placidus, prefect of the city.

At Alexandria, the holy martyrs Cyrion, priest; Bassian, lector; Agatho, exorcist; and Moses, who perished in the flames and took their flight to heaven.

At Teramo, the holy martyrs Proculus, Ephebus, and Apollonius, who, while keeping watch at the body of St. Valentine, were arrested and put to the sword by command of the consular officer, Leontius.

At Alexandria, the holy martyrs Bassus, Anthony, and Protolicus, who were drowned in the sea.

Also at Alexandria, the Saints Denis and Ammonius, who were beheaded.

At Naples, in Campania, St. Nostrian, bishop, who was outstanding for his defence of the Catholic faith against heretical errors.

At Ravenna, St. Eleuchadius, bishop and confessor.

In Bithynia, St. Auxentius, abbot.

At Sorrento, St. Anthony, abbot, who, when the monastery of Monte Cassino was devastated by the Lombards, withdrew into a solitude of the neighbourhood, where, celebrated for his holiness, he went calmly to his repose in God. His body is daily glorified by many miracles, especially by the deliverance of possessed persons.

R. Thanks be to God.

OmniaInstaurareInChristo

The reading appointed from the Rule of St. Benedict for February 14:

CHAPTER XII
How the Solemn Office of Lauds is to be said

At Lauds on Sunday let the sixty-sixth Psalm first be said straight on without an antiphon. After this let the fiftieth Psalm be said, with an Alleluia, and then the hundred and seventeenth and the sixty-second. Then the Benedicite and Psalms of praise,*  a lesson from the Apocalypse, said by heart, a responsory, a hymn, a versicle, a canticle out of the Gospel, and the Litany, and so end.

Martyrology-February 15th
Roman Martyrology-February 15th-on this date in various years-

At Brescia, in the time of Emperor Adrian, the birthday of the holy martyrs Faustinus and Jovita, who received the triumphant crown of martyrdom after many glorious combats for the faith of Christ.

At Rome, St. Craton, martyr. A short time after being baptized with his wife and all his household by the holy bishop Valentine, he was put to death with them.

At Teramo, the birthday of the holy martyrs Saturninus, Castulus, Magnus, and Lucius.

In the same place, St. Agape, virgin and martyr.

At Vaison in France, St. Quinidius, bishop, whose death was precious in the sight of God, as is shewn by frequent miracles.

At Capua, St. Decorosus, bishop and confessor.

In the province of Valeria, St. Severus, priest, of whom St. Gregory says that by his tears he recalled a dead man to life.

At Antioch, St. Joseph, deacon.

In Auvergne in France, St. Georgia, virgin.

R. Thanks be to God.

OmniaInstaurareInChristo

The reading appointed from the Rule of St. Benedict for February 15:

CHAPTER XIII
How Lauds are to be said on Week-days

On week-days let Lauds be celebrated in the manner following. Let the sixty-sixth Psalm be said without an antiphon, as on Sundays, and somewhat slowly, in order that all may be in time for the fiftieth, which is to be said with an antiphon. After this let two other Psalms be said according to custom; that is, on Monday, the fifth and thirty-fifth: on Tuesday, the forty-second and fifty-sixth: on Wednesday, the sixty-third and sixty-fourth: on Thursday, the eighty-seventh and eighty-ninth: on Friday, the seventy-fifth and ninety-first: and on Saturday, the hundred and forty-second and the Canticle from Deuteronomy, which must be divided into two Glorias. But on the other days let canticles from the prophets be said, each on its proper day, according to the practice of the Roman Church. Then let the Psalms of praise follow, and after them a lesson from the Apostle, to be said by heart, a responsory, a hymn, a versicle, a canticle out of the Gospel, the Litany, and so conclude.

Martyrology-February 16th
Roman Martyrology-February 16th-on this date in various years-

At Rome, blessed Onesimus, concerning whom the apostle St. Paul wrote to Philemon. He made him bishop of Ephesus after St. Timothy, and committed to him the office of preaching. Being led a prisoner to Rome, and stoned to death for the faith of Christ, he was first buried there, but his body was afterwards taken to the place where he had been bishop.

In Egypt, St. Julian, martyr, with five thousand other Christians.

At Caesarea, in Palestine, the holy martyrs Elias, Jeremias, Isaias, Samuel, and Daniel. These Egyptians of their own accord ministered to the confessors condemned to labour in the mines of Cilicia, but were arrested upon their return, and after being cruelly tortured by the governor Firmilian, under Emperor Galerius Maximian, were put to the sword. After them, St. Porphyry, servant of the martyr Pamphilus, and St. Seleucus the Cappadocian, who had been triumphant in several previous tests, being again tortured, now won the crown of martyrdom, the one by fire, the other by the sword.

At Nicomedia, St. Juliana, virgin and martyr. Under Emperor Maximian, she was first severely scourged by her own father, Africanus, and then made to suffer many torments by the prefect Evilasius, whom she had refused to marry. Later thrown into prison, she encountered the evil spirit in a visible manner. Finally, because the fiery furnace and a caldron of boiling oil could do her no injury, her martyrdom was fulfilled by beheading. Her body was later transferred to Cumi in Campania.

At Brescia, St. Faustinus, bishop and confessor.

R. Thanks be to God.

OmniaInstaurareInChristo

The reading appointed from the Rule of St. Benedict for February 16:

CHAPTER XIII
How Lauds are to be said on Week-days(cont.)

The Office of Lauds and Vespers, however, must never conclude without the Lord's Prayer being said aloud by the Superior, so that all may hear it, on account of the thorns of scandal* which are wont to arise; so that the brethren, by the covenant which they make in that prayer when they say "Forgive us as we forgive," may cleanse themselves of such faults. But at the other Offices let the last part only of the prayer be said aloud, so that all may answer, "But deliver us from evil."

Martyrology-February 17th
Roman Martyrology-February 17th-on this date in various years-

In Florence, the birthday of St. Alexis Falconieri, confessor, one of the seven founders of the Order of the Servites of the Blessed Virgin Mary. In the one hundred and tenth year of his age, he ended his blessed career in the consoling presence of Christ Jesus and the angels. His feast, with that of his companions, is kept on the 12th of February.

At Rome, the passion of St. Faustinus, whom forty-four others followed to receive the crown of martyrdom.

In Persia, during the persecution of Decius, the birthday of blessed Polychronius, bishop of Babylon, who, being struck in the mouth with stones, died with hands outstretched and eyes lifted towards heaven.

At Concordia, the holy martyrs Donatus, Secundian, and Romulus, with eighty-six others, partakers of the same crown.

At Caesarea in Palestine, the death of St. Theodulus, in the service of the governor Firmilian, at a great age. Prompted by the example of the martyrs, he confessed Christ with constancy, and was nailed to a cross. By this noble victory he merited the palm of martyrdom.

In the same place, St. Julian the Cappadocian, who, because he had kissed the relics of martyrs, was denounced as a Christian. Being taken to the governor, he was ordered to be burned to death over a slow fire.

In the territory of Terouanne in France, St. Silvinus, bishop of Toulouse.

In the monastery of Cluainedhech in Ireland, St. Fintan, abbot.

R. Thanks be to God.